Cottage with salmon fishing

Andrew B

Reaction score
Not fished it since I gave up my week on it in 2013. It was getting really bad then so god knows how it’s performing nowadays
Fishpal stats don’t look good at all. Those huge thirty pound salmon for which it was known, seem to have vanished?

lefthandup

Reaction score
You used to could rent a cottage on the Moulinearn beat on the Tummel but I'm not sure if that's still a goer.

kimbo

Reaction score
Yes I’m sure many of the do. This year after the Covid lockdown we fancied a week somewhere in October and from Wales, lakes, West country to Scotland we couldn’t find a single cottage with or without fishing anywhere.
Can only think it was because of the lockdown but it’s put me off booking anywhere for next year because of the uncertainty?
If you google in accommodation with salmon fishing most of em are all there on the first few pages. Then go on their web page and click on booking ect and most of em have the bookings in blocks of green for each month.
Some nice places in Cornwall on the Camel and Fowey and Devon for the Taw and Torridge but they tend to get re booked every year at the same times?
There’s also fishing based hotels that do weekends with fishing. Won’t be cheap but for a treat yourself type of thing, they could be worth thinking about? One I would highly recommend and they may even have cottages is the aptly named Sea Trout inn at Staverton/ Buckfast on the excellent river Dart. They have a mile or so of private water for residents and they sell tickets for the Dart anglers which in my experience has some of the best Sea Trout fishing in the Country and pretty good salmon from June onwards on good water.
I wouldn't bother on the dart for salmon, I was a member for 40yrs and the salmon fishing has declined drastically. Seatrout fishing can still be good but a lot of the good pools have been opened up and are frequented by wild swimmers and barbequing holiday makers. Coupled with two Archimedes screws on the tidal Weir pool and it's sadly taken its toll.
The cream of the fishing is up on Dartmoor itself where free rising wild brown trout are to be had, brilliant fun on small dries.

Andrew B

Reaction score
I wouldn't bother on the dart for salmon, I was a member for 40yrs and the salmon fishing has declined drastically. Seatrout fishing can still be good but a lot of the good pools have been opened up and are frequented by wild swimmers and barbequing holiday makers. Coupled with two Archimedes screws on the tidal Weir pool and it's sadly taken its toll.
The cream of the fishing is up on Dartmoor itself where free rising wild brown trout are to be had, brilliant fun on small dries.
Is that right? How sad as it’s been about ten years since a last fished it.
I would take the caravan on the site near the river at Colston Stickle and Abbotsmead that had a cracking sea trout pool that would always hold fish from early as April and by June I experienced some of the best night time sea trout fishing of anywhere inc Welsh rivers. Even then though I would have the river to myself. That’s sad about the famous weir pool,though I never fancied fishing the place as it just wasn’t my thing.
Been thinking about Dumfries and Galloway myself though as it looks like a beautiful place to see and given water rivers like the Cree have some surprising catch returns, albeit sea trout numbers seemed to have dropped.

I looked into accommodation on the river Till with fishing, as it gets an early run of sea trout but again I couldn’t find anywhere that wasn’t booked up?
There’s another thread about cottages with fishing that mentions some cottages with fishing on the Teifi in south west Wales. Known for its Sewin fishing I can say it has given water a decent run of salmon esp in June. Llandysul anglers have the cream of fishing and the Towy also seems to be reverting to a late spring/ summer salmon rivers?

Salarspeycaster

Reaction score
Can I ask how the Lochy is fishing these days ?
Apologies .
I was up fishing the Lochy about 3 years ago and it was fishing quite well, with quite large late springers, averaging about 3 or 4 a day between the rods and it wasn’t fully let. What you have to remember, and I guess you’ll know this, is it is a spate river, no water no fish. It is probably the prettiest river I have fished for salmon and has such a good variety of bears and pools. I think it is still worth a visit, but do hope for a lot of rain, which is generally quite plentiful on the west coast.

lefthandup

Reaction score
Moulinearn Aggg dont bring back bad memories! Looked great, but never saw a fish in three days fishing! Wake me up from the nightmare
I don't think they show much on that beat Marty....so I was told..I've had a fish off it but as you....seen very little.

Andrew B

Reaction score
Moulinearn Aggg dont bring back bad memories! Looked great, but never saw a fish in three days fishing! Wake me up from the nightmare
Nothing more soul destroying than being on a beat that you know has no fish.

Finglas

Reaction score
Yes I’m sure many of the do. This year after the Covid lockdown we fancied a week somewhere in October and from Wales, lakes, West country to Scotland we couldn’t find a single cottage with or without fishing anywhere.
Can only think it was because of the lockdown but it’s put me off booking anywhere for next year because of the uncertainty?
If you google in accommodation with salmon fishing most of em are all there on the first few pages. Then go on their web page and click on booking ect and most of em have the bookings in blocks of green for each month.
Some nice places in Cornwall on the Camel and Fowey and Devon for the Taw and Torridge but they tend to get re booked every year at the same times?
There’s also fishing based hotels that do weekends with fishing. Won’t be cheap but for a treat yourself type of thing, they could be worth thinking about? One I would highly recommend and they may even have cottages is the aptly named Sea Trout inn at Staverton/ Buckfast on the excellent river Dart. They have a mile or so of private water for residents and they sell tickets for the Dart anglers which in my experience has some of the best Sea Trout fishing in the Country and pretty good salmon from June onwards on good water.

Thank you Andrew. Sounds like excellent advice and I'll definitely check your recommendations out. It is the special treat ourselves idea I have in mind because it's my dad's 60th next year so fingers crossed I can find something!

Jamie

Andrew B

Reaction score
Thank you Andrew. Sounds like excellent advice and I'll definitely check your recommendations out. It is the special treat ourselves idea I have in mind because it's my dad's 60th next year so fingers crossed I can find something!

Jamie
That would be so nice. Just the chance to spend some money would be a fine thing lol.

Woodbank

Reaction score
Is that right? How sad as it’s been about ten years since a last fished it.
I would take the caravan on the site near the river at Colston Stickle and Abbotsmead that had a cracking sea trout pool that would always hold fish from early as April and by June I experienced some of the best night time sea trout fishing of anywhere inc Welsh rivers. Even then though I would have the river to myself. That’s sad about the famous weir pool,though I never fancied fishing the place as it just wasn’t my thing.
Been thinking about Dumfries and Galloway myself though as it looks like a beautiful place to see and given water rivers like the Cree have some surprising catch returns, albeit sea trout numbers seemed to have dropped.

I looked into accommodation on the river Till with fishing, as it gets an early run of sea trout but again I couldn’t find anywhere that wasn’t booked up?
There’s another thread about cottages with fishing that mentions some cottages with fishing on the Teifi in south west Wales. Known for its Sewin fishing I can say it has given water a decent run of salmon esp in June. Llandysul anglers have the cream of fishing and the Towy also seems to be reverting to a late spring/ summer salmon rivers?
Check out Creebankand Woodbank both right on the Cree in Newton Stewart although they don’t come with fishing rights Newton Stewart anglers do tickets and just had a fantastic salmon season and as a member is a seriously under fished sea trout river

Finglas

Reaction score
I've always fancied this one - owned by a contact of mine. Not luxury, but looks like the kind of thing you're after.

Let me know if you'd like me to ask about availability.

Cheers,
Oscar.

This looks very interesting indeed! Any idea what the fishing is like? Thank you

Jamie

Last edited:

MCXFisher

Reaction score
You could always try Yorkshire. Plenty of nice holiday cottages for rent in Wensleydale around Redmire and Bainbridge, especially if you come outside the peak holiday season (1 July - 1 September), and you can book a wide range of beats via FishPal rather than being tied to a single stretch.

Finglas

Reaction score
You could always try Yorkshire. Plenty of nice holiday cottages for rent in Wensleydale around Redmire and Bainbridge, especially if you come outside the peak holiday season (1 July - 1 September), and you can book a wide range of beats via FishPal rather than being tied to a single stretch.

Thanks MCX, I'll have a look on fishpal at the fishing in Yorkshire. I have fond memories of the lake district as a kid and visiting malham too, that's as close to yorkshire as I've been!

Jamie

MCXFisher

Reaction score
Thanks MCX, I'll have a look on fishpal at the fishing in Yorkshire. I have fond memories of the lake district as a kid and visiting malham too, that's as close to yorkshire as I've been!

Jamie
Jamie,

if you look at Redmire and Carperby for cottages; and on FishPal at Thoresby, Bolton Hall, Jervaulx Abbey and Swinton Park, who will see the whole portfolio. There are lots of photos of the fishing on Just One Week.

Finglas

Reaction score
Jamie,

if you look at Redmire and Carperby for cottages; and on FishPal at Thoresby, Bolton Hall, Jervaulx Abbey and Swinton Park, who will see the whole portfolio. There are lots of photos of the fishing on Just One Week.

Thank you MCX, I'll check out your blog to see some of the pictures. Thanks for the help, I appreciate it.

Jamie

Andrew B

Reaction score

Jamie
Lol You’d hard pressed to find anwhere more “Yorkshire” than Malham? I know what you mean though as the Ure is some distance away.