Cottage with salmon fishing

D

Deleted member 945

I’ve always fancied renting a cottage with private Salmon fishing but they seem few and far between. Anyone had any experience of decent water with accommodation?

Oscar

Reaction score
I've always fancied this one - owned by a contact of mine. Not luxury, but looks like the kind of thing you're after.

Let me know if you'd like me to ask about availability.

Cheers,
Oscar.

kingfisher

Well known member
Reaction score
Ohh must have put it on the market then. It would seem it’s still available to the anglers on the Lochy web page for now.

suit someone who likes isolation as it’s right at the end of a small long access road.
hope it gets used and not just a holiday home for rich person(s)

StuA15

Reaction score
Is that the one for sale in T&S this month? Think it is...
It is indeed, saw a seperate advert for it for sale somewhere else on the internet last night.

1/16th share in the association and various weeks and lets.

Nigel Passmore

Reaction score
I’ve always fancied renting a cottage with private Salmon fishing but they seem few and far between. Anyone had any experience of decent water with accommodation?

There are plenty of places all over Scotland where you can rent private salmon fishing with a cottage. The cottage will have enough accommodation to house the rods for the beat. I am going to one next week. However, most of them require you to take a beat of two or three rods.

In Norway the opportunity to rent a rod with some delapidated accommodation shack that should be condemned on health, safety and sanity grounds is huge. Is this what you are looking for or simply for you to have a rod and some private salmon fishing?

Of course, all the usual caveats apply. Budget, type of fishing (river or loch, big river small river, fly only or any method and so on and so forth) quality of accommodation etc. As they say in change management land no solution without your requirements!

Regards

NHP

carbisdale caster

Reaction score
Ohh must have put it on the market then. It would seem it’s still available to the anglers on the Lochy web page for now.

suit someone who likes isolation as it’s right at the end of a small long access road.
hope it gets used and not just a holiday home for rich person(s)

There were quite a few properties in that neck for sale (along with a share of the river, writings on the wall maybe....)

mows

Reaction score
I dont
There were quite a few properties in that neck for sale (along with a share of the river, writings on the wall maybe....)
I don't know why, they have a world leading hatchery, that makes indigenous smolts from introduced Norwegian genes, and it doesn't cost that much because the salmon farms help fund it, just so that it's ok to provide lice soup for the newly invented indigenous smolts to have a party in on their way to sea.
It must be nearly prime time just now and is averaging less that 1 fish per 1\16 share of the fishing per week, and strangely not many of them seem to stocked "indigenous" fish.
Still Neros fiddle playing is going well.
Even with all the sarcasm above, what a great location and once amazing fishery.
If I had the money, I'd still buy the cottage!
There's still some great brownie fishing just outside its door!

gwelsher

Reaction score
The Lochy is a dead river. I was up there twice 2 years ago and we never saw a fin. The ghillie admitted the river was in a desperate state. The locals were not even bothering to fish the tiderace at the bottom which tells you something. Beautiful river, we rented a terrific lodge 5 minutes from beats but no fish. Such a shame :confused:

Salarspeycaster

Reaction score
Middle Mertoun on River Tweed. Peaceful setting right by the river, the noise of rushing water lulls you to sleep. The cottage is comfortable and sleeps 4 or so, and the fishing is some of the best on middle Tweed, and St. Boswells village with the essential amenities is only minutes away. Perfect, and quite reasonably priced between a few of you.

Andrew B

Reaction score
Mochrum park seems very reasonable with fishing on the Bladnoch and Cree.
Best deal I ever got was off eBay and was a cottage in Newcastle Emlyn owned by Mr Fitzwilliams who owns a lot of the Teifi. Got a weeks fishing with a guide to show me all of the beats and caught an 18lb October bar of silver, albeit in 2012.

Andrew B

Reaction score
The Lochy is a dead river. I was up there twice 2 years ago and we never saw a fin. The ghillie admitted the river was in a desperate state. The locals were not even bothering to fish the tiderace at the bottom which tells you something. Beautiful river, we rented a terrific lodge 5 minutes from beats but no fish. Such a shame :confused:
The Lochy was always known as dead men’s shoes as well. How sad to see this. I’m not blind and whilst fishpal stats aren’t everything I’ve noticed those 20-30 pound fish that turned up regular away every year, now seem non existent.
West Coast Salmon rivers like this are possibly unredeemable?

Andrew B

Reaction score
There’s one other factor re booking a cottage with fishing? Since the Covid lockdown and it re opening in July we noticed every cottage all over the country/ fishing or not, we’re all booked up and some way into next year.
Given the current situation myself and family just can’t see the point in booking anything for next year as you could end up losing money.
The Sea Trout inn at Staverton on the river Dart has been very good to me for both Salmon and Sea Trout. Not sure if they have cottages but if they do it’s a lovely place to fish in May, June, July. If it’s low water, then target the sea trout and if there’s water the Salmon fishing can be decent.

Finglas

Reaction score
Does anyone know if any of these would suit a shorter let? Perhaps only a thurs/fri/sat ?

Thank you

Jamie

Andrew B

Reaction score
Does anyone know if any of these would suit a shorter let? Perhaps only a thurs/fri/sat ?

Thank you

Jamie
Yes I’m sure many of the do. This year after the Covid lockdown we fancied a week somewhere in October and from Wales, lakes, West country to Scotland we couldn’t find a single cottage with or without fishing anywhere.
Can only think it was because of the lockdown but it’s put me off booking anywhere for next year because of the uncertainty?
If you google in accommodation with salmon fishing most of em are all there on the first few pages. Then go on their web page and click on booking ect and most of em have the bookings in blocks of green for each month.
Some nice places in Cornwall on the Camel and Fowey and Devon for the Taw and Torridge but they tend to get re booked every year at the same times?
There’s also fishing based hotels that do weekends with fishing. Won’t be cheap but for a treat yourself type of thing, they could be worth thinking about? One I would highly recommend and they may even have cottages is the aptly named Sea Trout inn at Staverton/ Buckfast on the excellent river Dart. They have a mile or so of private water for residents and they sell tickets for the Dart anglers which in my experience has some of the best Sea Trout fishing in the Country and pretty good salmon from June onwards on good water.