Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.

mows

Reaction score
hardly resurrecting bearing in mind you were posting-again on Saturday last but hey ho at least youve given Mows a chuckle-I have not dipped my toe into the SF for some time-and the tosh and non sense that gets written is one of the main reasons - 536 pages -amazing
Of course i chuckled.
This thread has had very little attention recently as covid risk reduces.
In fact it had only one comment on Sunday, until you brought i back to the fore by ressurecting it.
Its not like it would even have been in the most recent thread part.
You would have had to make a point of looking for it to comment and get it started.

In your absence, the tie of the month has gone from strength to strength.
Lefthand up has put up a nice video of him catching a fish.
Flyingscotsman seems to have got a lot of people interested in selfbuild rods.
Flyingscotsmans 12'9" rod has accounted for 5 springers, to 3 anglers on 4 rivers so far, for about 65lb of fish.
Everyone is in a tizzy on scottish politics.

And now we are back to covid.

Cheers

Mows

Auldghillie

Reaction score
Of course i chuckled.
In fact it had only one comment on Sunday, until you brought i back to the fore by ressurecting it.
You would have had to make a point of looking for it to comment and get it started.

Flyingscotsmans 12'9" rod has accounted for 5 springers, to 3 anglers on 4 rivers so far, for about 65lb of fish.

Cheers

Mows
You could always Google the FMS report for 2020 if bored. AG

peterchilton

Reaction score
Last edited:

mows

Reaction score
Interesting piece on the origins of covid which discredits the WHO `s recent white washing of the Chinese regime :-

Theres 1000s of wet markets around the world.
Yet Covid first appears at the only wet market adjacent to a covid studying laboratory!
But it came from the wet market and not the lab!!!

Salad Dodger

Reaction score
My take on it is that the goalposts have moved from deaths to transmission rates. I would like to think we have turned the corner with regards to deaths of the most vulnerable.

The biggest risk as I see it are variants and I think this is why the restrictions aren’t being lifted as many would like until transmission is under control and minimises the risk of a new variant popping up that is vaccine resistant.

I for one shudder at the thought of going back to square one because of a new variant.

Safranfoer

Reaction score
My take on it is that the goalposts have moved from deaths to transmission rates. I would like to think we have turned the corner with regards to deaths of the most vulnerable.

The biggest risk as I see it are variants and I think this is why the restrictions aren’t being lifted as many would like until transmission is under control and minimises the risk of a new variant popping up that is vaccine resistant.

I for one shudder at the thought of going back to square one because of a new variant.
That's my understanding. It mutates through transmission, in order to stay ahead of it and ensure the people we have vaccinated remain protected (so we don't slide back down a snake to the start again, with millions of vulnerable people) we need to reduce transmission.

Our efforts feels like peeing in the wind while the rest of the world is unvaccinated though and we wish to retain a degree of international travel. I don't envy the decisionmakers.

Salad Dodger

Reaction score
That's my understanding. It mutates through transmission, in order to stay ahead of it and ensure the people we have vaccinated remain protected (so we don't slide back down a snake to the start again, with millions of vulnerable people) we need to reduce transmission.

Our efforts feels like peeing in the wind while the rest of the world is unvaccinated though and we wish to retain a degree of international travel. I don't envy the decisionmakers.

I am very much on the side of a ban on international travel until transmission levels worldwide are at a level that we can say the risk of a vaccine resistant mutation is minimal.

Or we have a much better technique of detecting the virus on international travellers. Clearly the current ones aren’t working as the current outbreak of the South African variant is believed to have came in on an international traveller in February.

I am fortunate to own a holiday home in Turkey and I have no plans whatsoever on going there this year and didn’t go last year either.

Safranfoer

Reaction score
I am very much on the side of a ban on international travel until transmission levels worldwide are at a level that we can say the risk of a vaccine resistant mutation is minimal.

Or we have a much better technique of detecting the virus on international travellers. Clearly the current ones aren’t working as the current outbreak of the South African variant is believed to have came in on an international traveller in February.

I am fortunate to own a holiday home in Turkey and I have no plans whatsoever on going there this year and didn’t go last year either.
I agree with your middle para. We could re-open our internal economy now - or 3 weeks ago - if we had more robust checks in place at our borders, or they stayed shut until we do.

peterchilton

Reaction score
or eric idling

H6QeB6j.jpg

long Preston

Reaction score
Of course i chuckled.

Cheers

Mows
like I said-its hardly bringing it back to life ie ststing my amazement that 536 pages later there is still disagreement- I will consider myself told off but please allow me a wry grin and a chuckle

Safranfoer

Reaction score
I hear even Grizzlies are mating with Polar Bears, can’t we all get on ?
I'm always v happy to take people at face value, on the basis of the conversation we are having. The face I receive from fixedspool is consistently, peculiarly and specifically rude. He goes out of his way to be rude, beyond disagreeing with any points I make to just dropping my name in random posts to other people, with the sole purpose of Being Rude. I'm not going to report him, because rudeness isn't a crime and it's not like I'm particularly upset. Tired of it and a bit baffled, but not upset. Equally, I don't want to take it to DM with him as I don't particularly want to speak with him behind closed doors - and because I do have a stubborn streak when it comes to calling out bullying behaviour. I just wish he'd stop. It's unnecessary and unpleasant for everyone - most of all, me. I'd like to understand why he does it. Well. I think he does it to get a rise. Because I won't just sit back and let him. That's really sad. I know you shouldn't feed trolls. But then maybe admin should stop him trolling, in that case. I don't know. I have no patience for nonsense like this. How am I supposed to get on with him, when he goes miles out of his way just to bait me? Why on earth am I supposed to be the bigger person here, just let him crack on with being relentlessly toxic out of nowhere, and then when I respond, get asked to 'get on'? Weird bloke is weirdly and consistently rude; recipients of rudeness should quietly accept it and 'get on'? That's not how things should be dealt with, is it? I'm absolutely fine with him ripping my opinions to shreds. I do the same. But the constant personal slurs are... not cool.

Maybe I should report him. But then. Rudeness isn't a crime. Sigh.

Last edited:

seeking

Reaction score
Yorkshire (werethereagodit'dbegod'sowncountry)
Interesting article quoted below, source here:

Especially prescient since even Bozza admits the vaccination programme isn't responsible for the decline in CV19 in UK, though according to the BBC he attributes it to Lockdown. Again highly questionable and unlikely given the timing of peak infection-deaths evident in the data (true of both waves - the really massive one that peaked in March 2020 and the second lesser one that peaked pre-Xmas 2020)... Clearly doesn't understand cause-coincidence conflation either.

"The Free World Died of Covid-19

As someone with a background in foreign policy and international affairs, I am often asked to discuss the ramifications of having Joe Biden as the so-called leader of the Free World.

While it is easy to get carried away debating the merits of a heavily compromised man being the physical representation of the Free World, and how cringeworthy and depressing that is, I can’t help but get stuck on the possibility that the term itself is no longer viable.

“What Free World?”

The Free World is a term that was originally used to describe the Allied powers during WWII, but it is most applicable here when discussing what united the anti-Soviet bloc to the United States during the Cold War. It was these “Western world” values of free speech, free media, the freedom of assembly, and freedom of association that united our sovereign states against the evils of Communism.

Covid Mania has turned the world’s sovereign states into one tyranny after another. And the authoritarian forces of the world won this second “Cold War” against its citizens without firing a shot. Some appear to be under the impression that the ruling class, which just finished the fastest rollup of power in human history, will simply return these stolen liberties when the “national emergency” comes to an end. I’m not particularly convinced that this is the case.

As John Adams once said, “But a Constitution of Government once changed from Freedom, can never be restored. Liberty, once lost, is lost forever.”

In the United States, our federalist system allows for pockets of freedom in places like Florida, Texas, South Dakota and the like. But dare to protest in the Nation’s Capital today and you’ll quickly find yourself on an FBI watchlist, and almost certainly, with a future date in our nation’s kangaroo court system. We continue to see authoritarian states implementing “vaccine passports” and other discriminatory measures in the name of a virus. Throughout most population centers in the United States, there are still heavy “Covid restrictions” on society and the economy. Our nation is no longer united behind these “Free World” concepts, and they are now only considered virtuous ideas in the aforementioned pockets of freedom in America. In the rest of the country, it has been made crystal clear that your rights do not supersede a disease with a 99.8% recovery rate.

Now observe the devastation in the rest of the Anglosphere:

The United Kingdom has placed its citizens under indefinite confinement. Their “Covid restrictions” have lasted well over a year, and there is no end in sight.

After massive, sustained protests, #UK PM Boris Johnson threatens stricter lockdowns https://t.co/cLeDFqPNJY

— The HighWire (@HighWireTalk) September 22, 2020

Canada, which has also been under a strict lockdown for over a year, has mutilated the free press while simultaneously transforming into a Chinese state colony. Under the “leadership” of Justin Trudeau, Canada has essentially outlawed freedom of movement, free speech, freedom of religion, and freedom of assembly in the name of a virus.

After the Christians tore down the fence that the government had built around the Edmonton church, the police sent in 200 heavily-armed riot police. That’s the church building you see there. This is China stuff, Iran stuff. But it’s happening in Canada. pic.twitter.com/jYs8E1oXGh

— Ezra Levant 🍁 (@ezralevant) April 11, 2021

New Zealand, another nation that is cozying up to Beijing, is committed to a “Zero Covid” self-siege that has blockaded the island nation from the world for over a year. Citizens who test positive for Covid-19 are forcibly sent to quarantine camps. The government has recently considered legislation punishing people for the act of acquiring Covid-19.

We told you. We TOLD you.

If you give a tyrant an inch, they will take a mile.

New Zealand has announced “quarantine camps” where people can be forcibly relocated. pic.twitter.com/XrcigHHDKD

— Young Americans for Liberty (@YALiberty) October 27, 2020

States in Australia have implemented some of the most intrusive lockdowns in the world. In Victoria, lockdowns meant citizens were only allowed to leave their homes for one hour a day, and they were not allowed to travel outside of a certain radius from their homes. The act of protesting is illegal, and it will be met by riot police.

Victoria has recorded one new local case of COVID-19 as it begins a stint of at least five days in lockdown. https://t.co/ssbRglnzos

— SBS News (@SBSNews) February 12, 2021

As for other NATO members, and other bumper sticker-labeled liberal democracies in the “Free World,” actual freedoms remain difficult to identify. Germany, France, and Italy just entered another round of rights-restricting lockdowns, and countless more “Free World” nations continue chipping away at personal freedoms.

Covid-19: France enters third national lockdown amid ICU surge https://t.co/QV85AapE4B

— BBC News (World) (@BBCWorld) April 3, 2021

German Chancellor Angela Merkel’s coalition has drafted legislation that would shift the power to impose COVID-19 restrictions to the federal government from regional leaders to combat a surge in infections.https://t.co/eMkYLC7kAM

— Stars and Stripes (@starsandstripes) April 11, 2021

Making things all the more confusing (and eye opening), people living in countries long considered adversarial, authoritarian nations (like Russia, China, Belarus, etc) are enjoying more freedoms than your average citizen in the West. Belarus never implemented lockdowns. Russians have treated their restrictions in a very lax manner. China has been open for well over a year.

After months of protests and a year of pandemic, Lukashenko held “a ball for the youth” last night in Minsk. Unreal. pic.twitter.com/iJUwV61Rom

— Scott Rose (@rprose) December 30, 2020

The Western values that some of us hold near and dear to our hearts are not shared by our ruling class. The Free World, as a united force, was indeed very sick for the better part of the 21st century, but it has finally died from Covid-19. The concept only lives on in our imaginations and memories. The Covid era has exposed that these values that supposedly united the West are nothing more than a facade…”

Interesting, it will be very interesting to see how this pans out.

Memento mori

Status
Not open for further replies.