Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.

Auldghillie

Reaction score
With respect, old people have been saying that since, well, hundreds of years ago. You are just a modern form of luddite, completely and utterly predictable, unoriginal, nothing new, just another generation who believes the world is going to sh1t...And what happens? The world progresses, we get more freedoms, we live withing the rule of law which also progresses, governments get lighter touch, we get more spare time to spend on what we want, we get more money to spend on what we want and we have more choice on which to spend our time and money on, we get more opportunities.

Don't let it pass you by.
What about the Host of Golden Daffs ? I thought the pubs were shut !!

fixedspool

Reaction score
With respect, old people have been saying that since, well, hundreds of years ago. You are just a modern form of luddite, completely and utterly predictable, unoriginal, nothing new, just another generation who believes the world is going to sh1t...And what happens? The world progresses, we get more freedoms, we live withing the rule of law which also progresses, governments get lighter touch, we get more spare time to spend on what we want, we get more money to spend on what we want and we have more choice on which to spend our time and money on, we get more opportunities.

Don't let it pass you by.
What an extraordinary complacent and completely out of touch post, especially the last paragraph. Step out of your cosy world and see the reality all around you...desperation all around you, jobless people, hungry people ,disadvantaged people, persecuted people -well why go on the list is endless. Where have you been the last 12 months. We are little better off than many countries around the world governed by a totalitarian government that cares little for democracy or personal freedom and subject its citizens to condition which are appalling. One could go out but I suspect you wouldn't understand.
Our government with alighter touch? More freedom? More time to spend on what we want? More opportunities. where have you been -on another planet?

Walleye

Reaction score
What an extraordinary complacent and completely out of touch post, especially the last paragraph. Step out of your cosy world and see the reality all around you...desperation all around you, jobless people, hungry people ,disadvantaged people, persecuted people -well why go on the list is endless. Where have you been the last 12 months. We are little better off than many countries around the world governed by a totalitarian government that cares little for democracy or personal freedom and subject its citizens to condition which are appalling. One could go out but I suspect you wouldn't understand.
Our government with alighter touch? More freedom? More time to spend on what we want? More opportunities. where have you been -on another planet?
Either you need to read my post again or you have just proved me 100% correct.

Safranfoer

Reaction score
"We are little better off than many countries around the world governed by a totalitarian government."

I'd be interested to see where you think we sit in the rankings, fixedspool. Or indeed what you class as a totalitarian government. I could only think of one - North Korea. Google tells me there's another - Eritrea. Only two totalitarian regimes. So that would make us maybe number 3...?

1. North Korea
  2. Eritrea
  3. UK
  4. Democratic Republic of Congo
  5. Syria
  6. Yemen
  7. Saudi Arabia
  8. Iran
  9. China
  10. Sudan
I don't know how you order them, really. There's probably a ranking somewhere, and I've no doubt missed a million places out. But does this look about right, to you?

seeking

Reaction score
Yorkshire (werethereagodit'dbegod'sowncountry)
...What will happen will be the middle ground. We've swung one way during the pandemic, we'll swing another way afterwards, maybe 2-3 more gentle swings before we settle right back where we were in 2019...
Maybe, and to some extent I hope you are correct and the powers that be realise they never want to shoot themselves in the foot like this over something so (relatively) trivial. A concern would be that the predictions of the sceptics proved right, but still their voices were marginalised. We will see, will flag this to come back to in a year's time!

BTW - any chance you can post Euromomo graphs for the current state of play in Germany and Sweden?

Meanwhile, in the real world, the data continue to confirm that following a bit of excess over the normal "flu-pneu season" (Jan-Feb) total deaths (black line) have been below average (orange line) for a while (~month, in some cases below any other figure for over a decade, which is exceptional but perhaps not unexpected given the excess of the first wave.)

Northern Ireland:
Northern Ireland Weekly Deaths 2020_2021 w12.png

Scotland:
Scotland Weekly Deaths 2020_2021 w12.png

England & Wales:
England and Wales Weekly Deaths 2020_2021 w12.png

UK total
UK Weekly Deaths 2020_2021 w12.png

Will be interesting how big (er, more correctly "small") the 3rd wave is in comparison...

Safranfoer

Reaction score
I see my post that prompted that reply has been removed/deleted from the forum. Freedom of speech ??? Don't think so.
Freedom of speech doesn’t - and never did - mean you can say whatever you like. I’m assuming you haven’t been locked away as a prisoner of conscience for chucking in a bit of misogyny for lols, so your rights are all good. Why can’t you argue the point without throwing in insults?

Auldghillie

Reaction score
Freedom of speech doesn’t - and never did - mean you can say whatever you like. I’m assuming you haven’t been locked away as a prisoner of conscience for chucking in a bit of misogyny for lols, so your rights are all good. Why can’t you argue the point without throwing in insults?
I’m a great supporter of women, especially those working whilst raising a family. Men, on the other hand, catch more fish than me.

fixedspool

Reaction score
Who determines what is an insult and not a fact. It can be both. That's the whole point.

Safranfoer

Reaction score
Who determines what is an insult and not a fact. It can be both. That's the whole point.
I don’t know who deleted your post so I don’t want to put intentions in their mouth, but I suspect it was along the same lines as a pub landlord stepping in with a, ‘Come on now - there’s no need for that, let’s keep it friendly...’. For the benefit of everyone. Someone sat in the corner throwing out insults and character assassinations creates a bad vibe. Why not say some nice things?

Auldghillie

Reaction score
I’m willing to bet that everyone we come across can teach us something. Courtesy being the best way to determine what that is. Joking is something different but shouldn’t offend. Anything which a respondent feels is marginally problematic can be dealt with in a PM so no dirty linen is aired in public.

offshore

Reaction score
I don't know if this is of interest to anybody else, but you can now order lateral flow tests from the government ( free) via this link - and have them delivered. They have been available like this for a few days.

I hope to be travelling about more soon and can think of a few situations where they could be useful to me.

This is the English link, but I imagine there will be a similar link for each nation.

long Preston

Reaction score
You went back to add provocative misogyny...? OK.
well I'm amazed that this thread is still going-the usual suspects on here still posting and pasting away-we are no onto totalitarian governments for heavens sake - and I struggle with the concept that someone actually thinks the UK is 3rd in the list and china is 9th-yeah right-try Putins Russia for siz as well.. I will bow out gracefully as I have better things to worry about -like work and fishing -come on folks put this thread to bed.

long Preston

Reaction score
hardly resurrecting bearing in mind you were posting-again on Saturday last but hey ho at least youve given Mows a chuckle-I have not dipped my toe into the SF for some time-and the tosh and non sense that gets written is one of the main reasons - 536 pages -amazing

Safranfoer

Reaction score
hardly resurrecting bearing in mind you were posting-again on Saturday last but hey ho at least youve given Mows a chuckle-I have not dipped my toe into the SF for some time-and the tosh and non sense that gets written is one of the main reasons - 536 pages -amazing
And your first step back in on this thread is to select a random post of mine in an attempt to make a pointless point-scoring point, without understanding ANY of the context to that comment - the post of fixedspool's that was deleted, for instance. Go back, read slowly, and see if I really think the UK is a totalitarian regime, no 3 in the world...

long Preston

Reaction score
And your first step back in on this thread is to select a random post of mine in an attempt to make a pointless point-scoring point, without understanding ANY of the context to that comment - the post of fixedspool's that was deleted, for instance. Go back, read slowly, and see if I really think the UK is a totalitarian regime, no 3 in the world...
ouch touchy or what? my points are pointless so why bother replying?-you spend too much time overthinking motives and seem to think its ok to make sarcastic comments yourself-if you cant take it don't dish it.

Walleye

Reaction score
Anyway, back in tne real world.....

Dexamethasone combined with tocilizumab reduces covid death risk by 30 to 50%

Asthma drug Budesonide shows potential in some patients avoiding hospital and good results in speeding recovery without relapse

Regeneration drug trial tested 1505 people who shared a home with an infected person and reduced the chance of infection by 80%

Kent variant does not increase risk of hospital admission, disease severity or death. In fact it is pretty much identical to Covid version 1.

Immunity from having had the virus is still strong 9 months later.

Deaths at summer levels

NHS hospitals admissions as low as last September.

The link between cases, admissions and deaths is seemingly broken.

Almost 50% of the population are vaccinated

What on earth are we waiting for?? Whybarent we back to normal.

seeking

Reaction score
Yorkshire (werethereagodit'dbegod'sowncountry)
Are the pubs open yet??

The UK has demonstrably acted in a totalitarian manner of late, noone can argue that. The fact we're not back to normal when we should have been a month ago bodes poorly for future freedoms.

Meanwhile, latest death stats make interesting reading. Lowest in a decade most places (exceptional given the grown population in that time but perhaps expected given the 1st wave was complete and utter carnage, and the 2nd wave was above average). Black line, 2020-2021 weekly figures are well below average (yellow line)...

NI
NI Weekly Deaths 2020_2021 w13.png

Scotland
Scots Weekly Deaths 2020_2021 w13.png

E&W
E&W Weekly Deaths 2020_2021 w13.png

UK total
UK Weekly Deaths 2020_2021 w13.png

We should have been "back to normal" ages ago, like the risk was. That we aren't is a testament to the dodgyness of political machination carried out by some scientists and the MSM...

Status
Not open for further replies.