Coronavirus

carrowmore

Reaction score
carrowmore, on this subject - when we tested back in August, the guy guiding us through it was very anxious that I made sure the vial was upright in the clear bag I was asked to put it in. Held it carefully like this while driving to the next stage of the drive through - when a litter picker was poked through a crack in my window, it was dragged unceremoniously through and literally chucked in a black bin.

How important is it that tests are kept upright, do you know?
I'm not aware of any reason a naso-pharyngeal swab needs to be kept upright. Blood tests are sometimes kept upright for a period in order to separate out the serum.

Toasted heretic

Reaction score
I've stumbled across this by complete accident.

Wearing a face covering may help a wearer become immune to the virus?

Only a theory at the minute but still an interesting read.

Viral
This is the hypothesis of mask wearing as a form of variolation for covid from the New England Journal of Medicine that was reported in the telegraph link I posted earlier...

Again, I post this with a completely open mind. 🙂
Eldest son studies bio engineering and described exactly this phenomenon yesterday evening, viral load often being a determinant to disease progression and widespread mild illness being optimum on a population level.

Safranfoer

Reaction score
A friend shared a photo of herself wearing a mask on Facebook the other day, and received a really long ranty and insulting monologue on the inefficacy of masks and the idiocy of people wearing them. He kept telling her to come to London this Saturday and wear her mask - they'd show her! There's an anti-mask/restrictions rally in London this weekend? Who knew... Anyway. For someone she is presumably friends with, he was quite vile and if getting out of this requires mass mask wearing (which makes much sense), I'll be furious that sane people keeping the viral loads down will simply feed morons like that guy's conviction that there's nothing to worry about. Are we allowed to cough in their eyes...? Rub a bit of covid in their gums?

Still no test for my son. I'm feeling all the rage.

Safranfoer

Reaction score
This is what happens - if you manage to get a whiff of a test at all. You're told there are 18 tests in Burton, or 64 in Sheffield, or 32 in Bolton, or 18 in Litherland - then when you click through to the next page, nothing. I can scroll through those dates way past the isolation period/need for a test, and nothing. I have never felt such rage. I've been trying to do this for 2.5 days now, my kid needs to be back at school. There are loads of schools now where the whole bubble (300-odd) kids has been sent home for 1 confirmed case, and none of those kids can access a test so none of them can return for two weeks, and their families have to self-isolate. How is this helping the economy? Where are the tests schools were promised?

Listening to Boris at PMQs today and then in front of the Liaison Select Committee... It's a joke. He said we have the highest testing rate in Europe, and that's just a flat out lie. Per 1000 of the population, we are lagging behind loads of countries. In the liaison committee, he said that school bubbles shouldn't be sent home until a suspected covid case receives a positive test. Which makes sense. But NO ONE IN ENGLAND CAN GET A TEST. Positive or negative. So if that sent home kid has it, it will spread rampantly through his or her classmates, then year, and their families, and their families' workplaces... 1 undetected positive case can go miles, when it's in an undistanced school environment.

Hospital admissions are rising, intensive care cases are rising... We're now at the same point as we were in early March. We were supposed to have the advantage of testing to keep on top of it this time, so we can isolate in pockets rather than en masse as a nation. Matt Hancock says we are a matter of weeks away from having a testing system that works. Boris Johnson says we'll have 500,000 tests a day by end of October, we're still on track. The Liaison Committee pointed out that in an ordinary year, at any one time 500,000 people have the cold or a flu, so that's nowhere near enough to deal with testing those AND the covid cases. In the meantime, care homes and NHS workers are to have priority access to tests. This is fine - but with kids spreading it like wildfire, it's going to make the pressure on those groups worse. Boris also said at the Liaison Committee something like, alas, we know that this virus is readily transmissible between children and adults. This is the exact opposite of the spin they gave us over the summer - not ONLY are children unlikely to fall ill, they were also apparently unlikely to transmit. Now they are - and here we are.

Guys. I'm calling it. It's time to start stockpiling tinned tomatoes and pasta.

Attachments

Safranfoer

Reaction score
Some of the comments on both sides of the masking debate are a bit OTT.

I've seen some 'pro masking' comments that were nothing short of abusive and some of the 'anti masking' comments that were nothing short of terrifying.

History repeating itself?

I'm feeling very abusively pro-mask right now, it has to be said. I just want things to get back to as close to normal as they can and cannot fathom people linking masks with oppressive state control. You get arrested for not wearing trousers and pants in the street. Is that oppressive state control? I am BORED of coronavirus and I want it to go away and there are too many things conspiring to make it not go away, and our government is useless but they're the one we're got and we have no alternative - NOT complying won't change their next course of action, we know what that will be if things get really bad - so whhhhhhhhhy can't people do simple things? Easy things. I want my kid back at school... All of my business partners' kids are now off again too. Today our calls were interrupted by the information that Oscar's mummy has had baby rabbits and can we have one (Evie), the wifi downstairs is broken (Jack), times tables are a waste of time and I don't know why we have to learn them (Seth), I can't access the online learning portal (Josh)... I just want my headspace back. Masks. MASKS. And tests.

Walleye

Reaction score
Some of the comments on both sides of the masking debate are a bit OTT.

I've seen some 'pro masking' comments that were nothing short of abusive and some of the 'anti masking' comments that were nothing short of terrifying.

History repeating itself?

Nothing changes eh? At least after the Spanish flu the world enjoyed an unprecedented period of world peace with nationalism set aside in favour of harmonious global trade and......oh wait, no, I think it was slightly different but surely history couldn't repeat itself????

Safranfoer

Reaction score
Get real, beer and gin, far more lockdown mode!!!
I have moved through the Out Of Control Lockdown Lush stage and am into Completely Teetotal To Avoid Dying (2 months now). I drink cucumber tonic in a gin glass and feel sad. I'm not convinced I'll make it through Christmas this way...

Didn't you mean Perrier and pot noodles?
Given Perrier is imported, I guess this is sensible now, given the inevitable second wave will come with a Brexit disruption chaser. I am studiously avoiding those articles around there not even being a lorry park AREA in Liverpool, let alone an area that hasn't even broken ground yet, like Dover.

However. No. I learned my lesson last time. Pasta, flour, tinned tomatoes, tomato puree, baked beans... I itch to stockpile, because it feels like I am DOING something, I'm in control, my husband refuses, and we meet in the middle. I've told him that if Christmas dinner ends up being tinned peaches because he wouldn't let me hoard, it's on him...

Walleye

Reaction score
I'm feeling very abusively pro-mask right now, it has to be said. I just want things to get back to as close to normal as they can and cannot fathom people linking masks with oppressive state control. You get arrested for not wearing trousers and pants in the street. Is that oppressive state control? I am BORED of coronavirus and I want it to go away and there are too many things conspiring to make it not go away, and our government is useless but they're the one we're got and we have no alternative - NOT complying won't change their next course of action, we know what that will be if things get really bad - so whhhhhhhhhy can't people do simple things? Easy things. I want my kid back at school... All of my business partners' kids are now off again too. Today our calls were interrupted by the information that Oscar's mummy has had baby rabbits and can we have one (Evie), the wifi downstairs is broken (Jack), times tables are a waste of time and I don't know why we have to learn them (Seth), I can't access the online learning portal (Josh)... I just want my headspace back. Masks. MASKS. And tests.
Personal choice is key. I am going to exercise my personal choice to wear a mask, keep up the personal hygiene and protect myself and those around me, mostly from not having to see most of my face.

On the viral load thing - I started using hibiscrub about 4 years ago. Much cheaper than shower gel and all that crappy scented shyte that wimmin use. As a fortunate side effect of smelling nice all day, I haven't had a proper cold in 4 years. I used to be plagued by colds being a frequent traveller and having two school aged kids. I'd always suspected the cold free period was due to hibiscrub but didn't think much about it. I read up about hibiscrub at the start of this Covid thing and the active ingredient doesn't kill all viruses but does a pretty good job. It does kill human Corona viruses after ~30 minutes (obviously too early to test on Covid-19) and the active ingredient remains on your skin all day offering around 8 hours protection. I'm convinced this is why I don't get colds any more, although in saying this I fear I will jinx myself. I have had a couple of "almost colds" where I can feel mild symptoms starting then they're gone the next day.

To be clear, I am not recommending anything but all this talk about viral load just rings a bell with my own experiences these last few years.

BTW hibiscrub prices shot up 400% when Covid started. For a while it was unavailable. I suspect there are many others in the same boat as me and with the same experience as me who also took a precaution to stock up.

ibm59

Reaction score
I have enough red and white to run a small hydro electric scheme , a geyser’s worth of fizz , some 🙄 gin , and one or two bottles of whisky. 😂
Rice , pasta , kidney beans , tins/ tubes of tomatoes , dried garlic , and tins of anchovies abound
AND I’m only half way through the first 18 pack of bog roll picked up back in March.

Sorted. 👍😀

Walleye

Reaction score
I have moved through the Out Of Control Lockdown Lush stage and am into Completely Teetotal To Avoid Dying (2 months now). I drink cucumber tonic in a gin glass and feel sad. I'm not convinced I'll make it through Christmas this way...

Given Perrier is imported, I guess this is sensible now, given the inevitable second wave will come with a Brexit disruption chaser. I am studiously avoiding those articles around there not even being a lorry park AREA in Liverpool, let alone an area that hasn't even broken ground yet, like Dover.

However. No. I learned my lesson last time. Pasta, flour, tinned tomatoes, tomato puree, baked beans... I itch to stockpile, because it feels like I am DOING something, I'm in control, my husband refuses, and we meet in the middle. I've told him that if Christmas dinner ends up being tinned peaches because he wouldn't let me hoard, it's on him...
Mmh, Christmas dinner. I might just buy a frozen bird and a joint or two and pop them in the freezer just in case. I don't think I could handle Christmas day without a proper Christmas dinner.

Jockiescott

Reaction score
I have enough red and white to run a small hydro electric scheme , a geyser’s worth of fizz , some 🙄 gin , and one or two bottles of whisky. 😂
Rice , pasta , kidney beans , tins/ tubes of tomatoes , dried garlic , and tins of anchovies abound
AND I’m only half way through the first 18 pack of bog roll picked up back in March.

Sorted. 👍😀
How many 18 packs did you stock up on B??? 🤣

Walleye

Reaction score

Sorted. 👍😀
I have a 20 yr old son and a 17 yr old daughter. It is literally impossible to stockpile anything. I'd need to rent a warehouse :D

SOS

Reaction score
I dont understand all the hysteria about no one being able to get a test, yesterday there were 208,000 tests done in the uk,which is by no means a record but a helluva lot more than in times of the peak back in April and May. I would blame the people who are well enough to stand for hours in a queue just because they or their kids have a runny nose.
Its like being back to the days of no bog roll or pasta,if you tell the same people that there is a shortage of marmite they will want some whether they like it or not.

Walleye

Reaction score
I dont understand all the hysteria about no one being able to get a test, yesterday there were 208,000 tests done in the uk,which is by no means a record but a helluva lot more than in times of the peak back in April and May. I would blame the people who are well enough to stand for hours in a queue just because they or their kids have a runny nose.
Its like being back to the days of no bog roll or pasta,if you tell the same people that there is a shortage of marmite they will want some whether they like it or not.
I think at least half of the people on the news the last few days were turning up at testing centres without an appointment. They shouldn't be giving these people air time. The only people around testing centres should be those with appointments. One was giving the testing folk grief. Shameful.

Safranfoer

Reaction score
DO you have school aged children? If you did, you'd understand the hysteria... The people wanting tests now are the parents and classmates of people in the same 'bubble' as confirmed cases, or parents like me, whose child has been sent home with a cold but can't go back without a negative test.

You are entirely correct that they are mostly the walking well - but without a negative coronavirus test they have to self-isolate for 14 days.

What would you do, if your child was off school because they'd been in the same bubble as a confirmed case? Your child is well, with no symptoms, but can't return to school for another 14 days, without a negative test. You are also entirely well and without symptoms, but can't go to work or even leave the house for 14 days without a negative test.

THAT is the entirely predictable problem. At secondary age, for every child that has covid, there are 299 others that have to stay off school until they are proven clear. At primary, for every case, between 29 and 90 others have to stay home. Parents can't go out to work with kids back at home.

It's not hysteria. It's frustration. Nothing like loo rolls or marmite. You can pay the bills without marmite.

SOS

Reaction score
I think at least half of the people on the news the last few days were turning up at testing centres without an appointment. They shouldn't be giving these people air time. The only people around testing centres should be those with appointments. One was giving the testing folk grief. Shameful.
But it gives the news channels an opportunity to spout off more negativity,rather than give us any good news about the work being done to beat the virus.

Just realised today how nippy nic is so good at batting off any questions on her daily party political briefings,it became obvious today that she and her side show gets the questions upfront so they can prepare their answers,and her body language gives it away when she is asked a question that is not in the script.

westie4566

Reaction score
Christ that's me done with the whole thing then - nae being able to commando on a trip to the shops is a step too far (y) 😅😜😅

Loxie

Reaction score
My experience of testing, FWIW. My youngest daughter needed an operation last week and that meant a C-19 test before hand and 72 hours isolation for the household. The test was booked at the home of the best rugby team in the UK in Exeter and therefore pretty easy to find for me and about 20 miles away. I didn't book it the NHS did so I don't know about that bit. I drove up, no2 daughter endured the slightly uncomfortable test and we drove home. Do dramas.

Now the point of this is that there were 3 testing bays fully staffed and ready to go. My test was at 10 am on a Sunday so I'd say a very convenient time and therefore presumably popular. I was the only car there. Draw from that what you will,