Coronavirus

Jockiescott

Reaction score
I haven’t worn masks to date except for on the train to London a couple of weeks ago. I will from now on wear a mask. I am not convinced by the medical arguments and there is still some debate as to wether they make a difference or not. That said if there is a chance that it will contain the spread then I will comply with the rules on this.
That's all we can do Neil W.

If there's even a remote chance that we can help an individual's health, save someone's job or help get the economy back on track, I feel, it is a very selfish person who would actively object to doing so.

long Preston

Reaction score
Some, who live in Blackburn think and behave like they are immune........to anything.
yes and the local politicians know exactly why there are increasing numbers of infections-just like in leicester-unfortunately none of them willing to "out" the reason which to anyone with half a brain is pretty obvious!

MikeCC

Reaction score
I haven’t worn masks to date except for on the train to London a couple of weeks ago. I will from now on wear a mask. I am not convinced by the medical arguments and there is still some debate as to wether they make a difference or not. That said if there is a chance that it will contain the spread then I will comply with the rules on this.
Im in your camp Neil, im not really convinced by anything the government tells us to do any more. I become even less convinced as time go’s on. Their track record throughout the last 4 months has been pretty shocking. If they were really serious about it we’d all be wearing N95 masks as a minimum, not quasi bandanas and whatever else useless fashion accessories people are sporting. If your going to do a job then do it right in my book. In Scotland its now written in to legislation, so it is ‘law’ whether we want it or not. Like yourself however I cant really be bothered with it but if I want a loaf of bread and a pint of milk then it appears I have to comply or fork out a £100 fine, which makes it a rather expensive loaf.

Jockiescott

Reaction score
I think this pandemic has shown how the once, "workshop of the world", has diminished.

At the start of WW2, 38 million gas masks were delivered to every individual in Great Britain. All built in a single requisitioned factory outside Blackburn by a government paid workforce.

Fast forward 80 years, our government hasn't enough P3 masks for the NHS alone. Almost actively discouraging people from wearing face coverings in the early days of pandemic in case they would buy decent ones and the NHS would be left even shorter.

long Preston

Reaction score
That's all we can do Neil W.

If there's even a remote chance that we can help an individual's health, save someone's job or help get the economy back on track, I feel, it is a very selfish person who would actively object to doing so.
here here-I challenged a suit wearing businessman type at the garage yesterday-no mask yet the rest of the 6 person queue were -his response " i havent got one" -to which one of my fellow mask wearers said-"oh thats ok then don't worry about the rest of us"-I think more of us will have to call people out for beeing stupi/selfish
I think this pandemic has shown how the once, "workshop of the world", has diminished.

At the start of WW2, 38 million gas masks were delivered to every individual in Great Britain. All built in a single requisitioned factory outside Blackburn by a government paid workforce.

Fast forward 80 years, our government hasn't enough P3 masks for the NHS alone. Almost actively discouraging people from wearing face coverings in the early days of pandemic in case they would buy decent ones and the NHS would be left even shorter.
interesting one that-I have heard two radio interviews with NHS staff in recent weeks -in different NHS trusts -both stating that they had no problems with access to PPE -all down to their trust managers-easy to point fingers I think-same witht he care home deaths-vast majority are privately owned and charging c£1000pw per person and paying staff "living wages"- but it suddenly become the govt fault

Jockiescott

Reaction score
here here-I challenged a suit wearing businessman type at the garage yesterday-no mask yet the rest of the 6 person queue were -his response " i havent got one" -to which one of my fellow mask wearers said-"oh thats ok then don't worry about the rest of us"-I think more of us will have to call people out for beeing stupi/selfish

interesting one that-I have heard two radio interviews with NHS staff in recent weeks -in different NHS trusts -both stating that they had no problems with access to PPE -all down to their trust managers-easy to point fingers I think-same witht he care home deaths-vast majority are privately owned and charging c£1000pw per person and paying staff "living wages"- but it suddenly become the govt fault
I really wasn't having a go at the government. Just how times change. Perhaps an indication of the problems of a global economy when there's a global crisis?

We see now, perhaps, that PPE didn't become the issue that was genuinely feared in the earlier days of the pandemic.

fixedspool

Reaction score
"
"here here-I challenged a suit wearing businessman type at the garage yesterday-no mask yet the rest of the 6 person queue were -his response " i havent got one" -to which one of my fellow mask wearers said-"oh thats ok then don't worry about the rest of us"-I think more of us will have to call people out for beeing stupi/selfish "

Oh Dear here we go. Confrontation on the streets. Best be careful you don't pick on the wrong man then otherwise you might end up on your backside!!.

MikeCC

Reaction score

Whats going on now is box ticking. The govt ‘pandemic checklist’ is slowly being completed so that the subsequent board of enquiry and independent report into the entire effing balls up will show that the govt actually did everything they were supposed to. It doesnt really matter that everything went in the wrong order or that we destroyed a country in the process, the checklist will be complete. In the same way we didnt quarantine people at the start of the pandemic, instead we started quarantining them only a month ago....and then pretty much lifted it straight away by opening quasi ‘air corridors’. Big Dom decided we better tick the quarantine box however on the checklist to say its been done.....ass covering at its finest. Masks......why wasnt it mandatory 3 months ago?....dont tell me it was because the ‘science at the time said it wasnt of benefit’, we just didnt have enough to go around, not even for our NHS staff. Now that we’re down to only 500 positive new cases per day(and enough masks to go around), as oppose the many thousands 4 months ago,...now we’re told to wear the mask?? Tick, tick.....tick....and thats partly the issue I have with being forced to wear it, big Dom’s just ticking off boxes.

Last edited:

MikeCC

Reaction score
"
"here here-I challenged a suit wearing businessman type at the garage yesterday-no mask yet the rest of the 6 person queue were -his response " i havent got one" -to which one of my fellow mask wearers said-"oh thats ok then don't worry about the rest of us"-I think more of us will have to call people out for beeing stupi/selfish "

Oh Dear here we go. Confrontation on the streets. Best be careful you don't pick on the wrong man then otherwise you might end up on your backside!!.
Indeed, and thats one of the major problems with these sorts of ‘policies’ - vigilantes out self policing the streets and shops doorways. The scenes of some of this sort of stuff over the pond are disturbing.....mass fights and arguments in walmart. It’ll happen here too folks, be warned when sticking your oar in, especially ‘if’ its not ‘law’ yet!

mows

Reaction score
As said earlier, masks are to protect health and economy.
In my opinion the real drive for masks now, is to provide a safety blanket to the vast majority of the public who have been terrorised that much that they won't come out and engage with the economy without a comforter.
It also helped justify the reduction from the 2m (because it sounded a good number and was bigger than other countries that were managing the crisis better) to 1m because it's still a number we made up, but will allow us to encourage more people to engage with business and get the economy going.
Masks may make a small difference to health, and I have no issue wearing one, but changing to using masks will make big difference to the ecnomy.

long Preston

Reaction score
"

i doubt it- and as for confrontation nope it wasn't-just calling out someone not doing what they are supposed to-this is a virus and affects us all-don't overdramatise it please

long Preston

Reaction score
Indeed, and thats one of the major problems with these sorts of ‘policies’ - vigilantes out self policing the streets and shops doorways. The scenes of some of this sort of stuff over the pond are disturbing.....mass fights and arguments in walmart. It’ll happen here too folks, be warned when sticking your oar in, especially ‘if’ its not ‘law’ yet!
as I said dont over dramatise -vigilantes, sticking oars in- and you are referring to behaviour across the pond-perspective is whats needed folks-if a gentle question about why someone wasn't wearing a mask-when they clearly should have been is classed as "being a vigilante" then we are finished. as I said this virus affects us all and there are enough idiots not wearing masks, social distancing and meeting in large groups for us to be concerned.

MikeCC

Reaction score
as I said dont over dramatise -vigilantes, sticking oars in- and you are referring to behaviour across the pond-perspective is whats needed folks-if a gentle question about why someone wasn't wearing a mask-when they clearly should have been is classed as "being a vigilante" then we are finished. as I said this virus affects us all and there are enough idiots not wearing masks, social distancing and meeting in large groups for us to be concerned.
But thats how these things normally start isnt it?....a ‘gentle’ question or off the cuff remark?
You already said that your initial challenge to the guy caused another person in the queue to say “oh thats ok then dont worry about the rest of us”.....id say the anti was quickly starting...no? Im sure if suit man responded rather unfavourably to any of this then it could have all kicked off pretty quick? Things can escalate rather sharpish in these situations, particularly with such an emotive subject such as masks, which carries fairly extreme views at either end of the spectrum. The current situation is stressful enough already. Its really up to the staff to deal with these people, not the rest of the customers. If you perhaps add in the confusion of someone who may not be wearing a mask for valid reasons then you can surely see how these things can turn pretty nasty in quick fashion. My brother cant wear a mask, he’s also profoundly deaf and has to lip read. I worry how he will cope in these sorts of situations before some halfwits going to confront him or have a square go at him in the shop. Thankfuly he gets most of his stuff delivered but theres going to come a time when he wont be lucky and some idiot will start. He’s already anxious enough as it is, as he cant communicate like the rest of us.

long Preston

Reaction score
But thats how these things normally start isnt it?....a ‘gentle’ question or off the cuff remark?
You already said that your initial challenge to the guy caused another person in the queue to say “oh thats ok then dont worry about the rest of us”.....id say the anti was quickly starting...no? Im sure if suit man responded rather unfavourably to any of this then it could have all kicked off pretty quick? Things can escalate rather sharpish in these situations, particularly with such an emotive subject such as masks, which carries fairly extreme views at either end of the spectrum. The current situation is stressful enough already. Its really up to the staff to deal with these people, not the rest of the customers. If you perhaps add in the confusion of someone who may not be wearing a mask for valid reasons then you can surely see how these things can turn pretty nasty in quick fashion. My brother cant wear a mask, he’s also profoundly deaf and has to lip read. I worry how he will cope in these sorts of situations before some halfwits going to confront him or have a square go at him in the shop. Thankfuly he gets most of his stuff delivered but theres going to come a time when he wont be lucky and some idiot will start. He’s already anxious enough as it is, as he cant communicate like the rest of us.
as I said- all rather immotive and over the top. totally appreciate your brothers situation but please keep things in perspective-two of the posts on here have referenced vigilantes, people sticking beaks in ( your language) and someone else suggesting I might end up on my backside-way way over the top folks-perspective please.

MikeCC

Reaction score
as I said- all rather immotive and over the top. totally appreciate your brothers situation but please keep things in perspective-two of the posts on here have referenced vigilantes, people sticking beaks in ( your language) and someone else suggesting I might end up on my backside-way way over the top folks-perspective please.
I hope your right. I fear however its only a matter of time before we see these things in the media, once it becomes ‘law’ I suspect. I’ll personally avoid confronting people in the supermarket queue, I like my front teeth the way they are.

carrowmore

Reaction score
yes and the local politicians know exactly why there are increasing numbers of infections-just like in leicester-unfortunately none of them willing to "out" the reason which to anyone with half a brain is pretty obvious!
The words of Prof Harrison , Director of Public Health in Blackburn

“ Blackburn South Asian community are more at risk of being infected in the first place because they are more likely to be the front line workers who have kept the community safe & functioning in lockdown - in food production, transport, NHS & social care. “

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

MikeCC

Reaction score
Unfortunately this is just the sort of thing I was referring to where members of the public need to think very carefuly before having a go at someone. Thankfuly no fistycuffs here but it couldve been worse.

ozzyian

Reaction score
Whats going on now is box ticking. The govt ‘pandemic checklist’ is slowly being completed so that the subsequent board of enquiry and independent report into the entire effing balls up will show that the govt actually did everything they were supposed to. It doesnt really matter that everything went in the wrong order or that we destroyed a country in the process, the checklist will be complete. In the same way we didnt quarantine people at the start of the pandemic, instead we started quarantining them only a month ago....and then pretty much lifted it straight away by opening quasi ‘air corridors’. Big Dom decided we better tick the quarantine box however on the checklist to say its been done.....ass covering at its finest. Masks......why wasnt it mandatory 3 months ago?....dont tell me it was because the ‘science at the time said it wasnt of benefit’, we just didnt have enough to go around, not even for our NHS staff. Now that we’re down to only 500 positive new cases per day(and enough masks to go around), as oppose the many thousands 4 months ago,...now we’re told to wear the mask?? Tick, tick.....tick....and thats partly the issue I have with being forced to wear it, big Dom’s just ticking off boxes.

Yes. However maybe there'll be a reckoning on this one.

sneakypeter

Reaction score
Coronavirus: UK brings back 14-day quarantine for Spain https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-53540691
Is this the start of round2? The drive to restart the beleaguered economies too soon looks like it may well bite back hard, the knock on effect could be totally devastating, potential customer confidence destroyed long term, France is getting twitchy too, border closed etc. Seems to be a pattern emerging, lockdowns removed, all OK, then a resurgence of cases, Israel, Greece, now Spain, The USA is a mess, especially the holiday zones, Florida and California, all the same scenario. Spain had a very high percentage of mask use too, so there effectiveness might well be questioned!!!!?

Hardyreels

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
America is in for a very bad year. We are pushing on toward 5 million cases and fighting over wearing a mask and staying away from one another. I had some peckerhead get close enough to bump me 2 days ago in an auto parts store, no mask of course. I'm thinking he didn't get the memo.

Alaska, the very end of the world pushes on now toward 3000 cases and the ICU units are filling up quickly. 22 dead but many currently in hospital so death toll will no doubt rise.

I myself can not get the reluctance to use a simple surgical mask. They feel it's infringing on their rights and or freedom but I feel that the maskless morons are a threat to all of we innocent people at their mercy. It's a horrible picture here.

MikeCC

Reaction score
America is in for a very bad year. We are pushing on toward 5 million cases and fighting over wearing a mask and staying away from one another. I had some peckerhead get close enough to bump me 2 days ago in an auto parts store, no mask of course. I'm thinking he didn't get the memo.

Alaska, the very end of the world pushes on now toward 3000 cases and the ICU units are filling up quickly. 22 dead but many currently in hospital so death toll will no doubt rise.

I myself can not get the reluctance to use a simple surgical mask. They feel it's infringing on their rights and or freedom but I feel that the maskless morons are a threat to all of we innocent people at their mercy. It's a horrible picture here.
The media would have us believe theres been a massive problem in the US over the last goodness knows however number of weeks. The current(up to the minute) US figures however confirm that only 3% of the population who have actually tested positive for Covid have actually died from it(assuming of course theyre not doing a UK - I got hit by a bus but I tested positive for covid so covid was the cause of death, type recording. In which case the actual death rate would be even lower). The percentage is probably also further reduced because it doesnt include either asymptomatic cases or those who havent bothered to get a test, which is probably hundreds of thousands of people, if not millions more, which would further water down the death rate ratio. The UK ratio versus US is slightly higher per head of population but theyre already conceding the ‘true’ number of ‘direct’ deaths is probably only half of whats been reported thanks to the overly zealous hit by a bus type recording.

Last edited: