Coronavirus

salarchaser

Reaction score
would you like to provide some examples of diseases that would cause death in the ‘olden days’ but now people survive to reproduce and as you see it ‘dilute’ the gene pool?
Lots of genetic defects.
I know 3 people in the school I went to that had heart or kidney issues.
Life saving operations before they were 15. Offspring have similar issues.
How about diabetes? Easily treated allowing good quality life. It will never be bred out.

I dont begrudge them their lives, but issues persist that wouldnt have perpetuated in years gone by.
Darwinism being bypassed.

As I said, a moral minefield.

T7

Reaction score
Lots of genetic defects.
I know 3 people in the school I went to that had heart or kidney issues.
Life saving operations before they were 15. Offspring have similar issues.
How about diabetes? Easily treated allowing good quality life. It will never be bred out.

I dont begrudge them their lives, but issues persist that wouldnt have perpetuated in years gone by.
Darwinism being bypassed.

As I said, a moral minefield.
That’s a very simplistic view of genetics and one that doesn’t stand up to much scrutiny, particularly in rare genetic cases that may not be seen for generations. Also diabetes is not thought to be particularly hereditary so it is incredibly complex and can’t be viewed so simply.

salarchaser

Reaction score
That’s a very simplistic view of genetics and one that doesn’t stand up to much scrutiny, particularly in rare genetic cases that may not be seen for generations. Also diabetes is not thought to be particularly hereditary so it is incredibly complex and can’t be viewed so simply.
There we are then, not very often am i right, there i am, wrong again.

AlexAlex

Reaction score
I
I posted this on another thread but feel it should have one of its own.
I tried to source anti bacterial/viral hand gel from several chemists the other week but they were all sold out and could not say when new stock was coming in. I researched making my own and have now done so. It works and even my wife likes it.

Recipe for home made anti bacterial/viral hand gel.

2/3 cup of 99% Isopropyl Alcohol (rubbing alcohol but industrial strength) dilute by 1/3 with water if using as a disinfectant for wiping surfaces. 70% solution is ideal.
1/3 cup of Aloe Vera Gel (as pure as you can get it)
a few drops of the essential oil of your choice to make it smell nice.
Mix it well and pour into a bottle. It will keep for about 6 months and cost 1/4 the price of the stuff you get in the shops.

All items are still available on the internet. Get the Isopropyl Acohol from an industrial chemist supplier in 5 litre containers. What you don't need for your gel has many other uses. e.g. car screenwash, cleaning computers or electrical components.
I already did this because I couldn't find disinfectant anywhere. Either way, it will be useful for others.

morphfly

Reaction score
No, two sepparate issues and bad / lazy punctuation on my part.
Not exending end of life, providing opportunity for people who wouldnt have survived to puberty 100 years ago to procreate.
100 yrs ago most children died of infection rather than genetic frailty.Infections which were not influenced by social class though more prevalent in the lower class,as usual.

the very elderly and infirm are at greatest risk, the infirm group are those diseases of modern life consequent to glucose intolerance and type2 diabetes with low vitamin d thrown in.
I did read that vegetarians and vegans were at higher risk through their vitamin deficiencies!
Plenty of time to cut the carbs and get some sunshine
Morphfly

Reactions: T7

carrowmore

Reaction score

Jockiescott

Reaction score
On the other side of the Irish Sea, we are doing very well too. We had a great trust in our government and adherence to regulations have been very high.

Then, our second biggest party, the republican Sinn Fein party, decided it would be OK to attend the funeral of a former IRA commander. There were hundreds, if not thousands, in attendance.

Our churches are still closed but where to open yesterday for private prayer but there were 120 people inside the church at the funeral. Including our deputy first minister and finance minister.

There has been an outcry here today with every other party calling for the deputy first minister to resign. She won't.

The 12th of July is a big day for unionists and loyalists here with the parades and that. The parades have been cancelled this year but since the deputy first minister attended the funeral, there have been 80 applications to the parades commission for parades on the 12th.

It is a real kick in the teeth to all those who have had loved ones die during the pandemic. I couldn't attend my own uncles funeral in May because of the restrictions with the virus.

I'm not sure how we emerge out of this but it has been a real kick in the teeth to the whole of our society.

Definitely our Dominic Cummings situation.

SOS

Reaction score
Donald says that when he wears a mask he looks like the lone ranger.
Unfortunately the lone ranger wore a mask over his eyes rather than his mouth and nose.

KEMO SABE

Last edited:

peterchilton

Reaction score
100 yrs ago most children died of infection rather than genetic frailty.Infections which were not influenced by social class though more prevalent in the lower class,as usual.

the very elderly and infirm are at greatest risk, the infirm group are those diseases of modern life consequent to glucose intolerance and type2 diabetes with low vitamin d thrown in.
I did read that vegetarians and vegans were at higher risk through their vitamin deficiencies!
Plenty of time to cut the carbs and get some sunshine
Morphfly
some facts on that issue - https://www.webmd.com/baby/news/20060130/top-5-genetic-birth-defects-named

Royal families suffer a lot with genetic defects due to in breeding, Tutankhamen is a good example as was Richard 111.

Roag Fisher

Reaction score
Why Scotland’s slow and steady approach to covid-19 is working

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
What a load of nonsense. Just the incompetent praising themselves and their dear leader.
I am surprised you posted that, as I know you have more sense.

ozzyian

Reaction score
Why Scotland’s slow and steady approach to covid-19 is working

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Maybe, I think most in the country would conclude that cultural and societal differences make containment much easier. In other words there are far fewer utter tossers thinking that they know better, a few - there always is a few but the general population have done a good job and stuck to it. I personally wouldnt have expected anything less.

ozzyian

Reaction score
And actually it should be added that the First Minister and the devolved Govt have not really put a foot wrong. Never thought I'd hear myself praising them.

MikeCC

Reaction score
And actually it should be added that the First Minister and the devolved Govt have not really put a foot wrong. Never thought I'd hear myself praising them.
....like emptying out the hospitals and shoving all the elderly patients back into their care homes without testing them all first??...that indeed was a great decision by our devolved govt....only killed nearly 2000 people in the end. Never put a foot wrong eh...🙄.

ozzyian

Reaction score
....like emptying out the hospitals and shoving all the elderly patients back into their care homes without testing them all first??...that indeed was a great decision by our devolved govt....only killed nearly 2000 people in the end. Never put a foot wrong eh...🙄.
Yeah, thats true. They got swept along with the national policy on that one and it cost a lot of elderly folks lives.

Roag Fisher

Reaction score
...and many more problems, both in the here and now and stored up for the future, ignored in the article. And NEVER forget the mute button at the press briefings, etc.

MikeCC

Reaction score
Yeah, thats true. They got swept along with the national policy on that one and it cost a lot of elderly folks lives.
....and now theyd happily ‘sweep’ it under the carpet....or at least the Yes fans would happily sweep it under the carpet....

Roag Fisher

Reaction score
No, health policy is devolved. That ongoing disaster is Sturgeon`s.
e were further behind on the covid curve to start with, so it stands to reason we are behind in easing out of lock down. This has become "being much more considered and careful than England". I am really surprised some of you have fallen for the wee disaster`s spin.

Roag Fisher

Reaction score
Ullapool is already inundated with motor homes and campervans, some of which are trying to get to the islands. Except the 2 metre rules is keeping them aay, when it could be 1 metre and a mask....which may have stopped the current economic hardship in the isles. Removal vans are going to be busy in the H and I.

Jockiescott

Reaction score
That will be the most difficult thing to come out of this pandemic. The mistakes made at carehomes.

It seems to have caught everyone by surprise. With the benefit of hindsight now, those mistakes won't happen again. Or they wouldn't need to anyway.

Even the Isle of man, which has been covid free for well over a month now, where caught out this way. 24 people died on the island from Covid and 19 of those were from a single care home.

Over half our deaths here in NI were in care homes too.

You would hope that every nation in the UK has learned from these mistakes should there be a second wave. I really hope there isn't a second wave but perhaps now, we're a wee bit more aware of the actions we need to take, should the worst happen.

SOS

Reaction score
There is a flip side that now if not sooner needs to be considered,
On the virus side of things you could argue that Sturgeon and her government have done a reasonable job?.
But it was made easier for her by handouts from the uk gov, and the uk gov realise that this hand outs were becoming as big a burden to the economy there for the jobs and mental health and general well being of the population were suffering,so they began to come out of lockdown sooner than the devolved gov's who just expect the handouts to continue.
I have heard that the oil and gas jobs in Aberdeen are likely to be cut by 30% not only by the effects of the virus but also by the price of oil being so low,and that 30% would probably extend to the rest of the local economy,so there are going to be bad times ahead.
So right now she might look good and smug but the longer we have restrictions the worse things will be in the future.
If the uk gov stops the handouts she will blame them,if they give more money she will take the credit.
The job situation and mental health of the population and the kids might now be as big of a problem than the virus.

MikeCC

Reaction score
That will be the most difficult thing to come out of this pandemic. The mistakes made at carehomes.

It seems to have caught everyone by surprise. With the benefit of hindsight now, those mistakes won't happen again. Or they wouldn't need to anyway.

Even the Isle of man, which has been covid free for well over a month now, where caught out this way. 24 people died on the island from Covid and 19 of those were from a single care home.

Over half our deaths here in NI were in care homes too.

You would hope that every nation in the UK has learned from these mistakes should there be a second wave. I really hope there isn't a second wave but perhaps now, we're a wee bit more aware of the actions we need to take, should the worst happen.
Indeed, the benefit of hindsight is a wonderful thing. However, at the end of the day one of the Govt’s primary functions is to protect its citizens. The decision to release patients back to carehomes without testing was unforgivable. As little as a 2 minute safety review shouldve highlighted the need to test first. It absolutely boggles the mind why it wasnt done. Unfortunately by the time any public enquiry is complete, nobody will care...harsh but true. And we’ll be facing Indyref 99 by then.