Coronavirus

glenelg100

Reaction score
Clear as mud...I read this as, it's frowned upon but who's gonna stop you? 'Advised...' 'Perhaps you shouldn't...'

Can I travel between Scotland and England?
Despite calls to do so earlier on in the coronavirus crisis, the UK is not leaving lockdown in “lockstep”, which means each of the four devolved nations are taking different approaches to easing their restrictions.

Since lockdown measures differ in each nation of the UK, households have been advised not to travel between them, and instead must “respect” each area’s measures.

But with new rules introduced in England and Scotland, does this change?

“We are not putting a legal limit on how far you can travel to meet another household, but please use your good judgement,” said Sturgeon.

Households should still not currently travel between Scotland and England.

“If the distance is so far that you would have to use someone else’s bathroom, then perhaps you shouldn’t be doing it,” said Sturgeon.

While there is “no legal limit” on how far you can travel to meet another household, Sturgeon urged Scots to “please use your good judgement.”

The Government says “people in Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland should follow the specific rules in those parts of the UK.”

The wording is identical across media sources, suggesting it's a lifted and shifted government press release - see here
Why not just say you are permitted to unlimited travel provided it’s within your own country, would keep it simple for now

Safranfoer

Reaction score
Breaking news
Raab leaps into action immediately and warns local citizens to keep off Leicester’s glorious sandy beaches.

I really don't understand this. Cases in Leicester are rising dramatically so, in response, pubs and restaurants won't be able to open for another 2 weeks. How is that 'lockdown'? Under current rules, cases are rising - that suggests that maintaining the current rules in Leicester will achieve sweet FA. And what's to stop residents going to Ashby and Loughborough for a meal and taking their plague with them?

Heero

Reaction score
My chest freezer died a few weeks ago. Apparently there was a run on chest freezers due to this covid thing. They are also all made in China and the supply chain is affected. I have been told the earliest a new freezer will get to the state of Montana is September, but more likely it wont be til November.

First world problems right here, but my goodness!

A coworker had one not in use that I luckily moved a bunch of frozen elk and my falcon food into at his house. It cant stay there forever, but is safe for now.

Loxie

Reaction score
I think various flu types are pretty much always around somewhere, seemingly usually in China. These sorts of pandemic have always been part of human existence and historically have reduced and made fitter the population. There is often a baby boom after such an event because of this.

Modern medicine has given us the ability to extend life to a previously unheard of degree and not always with regard to quality and perhaps nature is fighting back?

That said as someone who is overweight and has an underlying heart condition I'm mainly on the side of modern medicine on this one!!

salarchaser

Reaction score
I think various flu types are pretty much always around somewhere, seemingly usually in China. These sorts of pandemic have always been part of human existence and historically have reduced and made fitter the population. There is often a baby boom after such an event because of this.

Modern medicine has given us the ability to extend life to a previously unheard of degree and not always with regard to quality and perhaps nature is fighting back?

That said as someone who is overweight and has an underlying heart condition I'm mainly on the side of modern medicine on this one!!
It is a moral dilema.
Survival of the fittest. Weeding out weaker genes. Fine in theory, until it touches on a personal level.......

We are prolonging existence (in many cases it's not life) of individuals and diluting the strength of the gene pool. Apparently it is called progress.

For individuals and families no argument, medicine wins.
For the population as a whole and for future generations it is a problem.

T7

Reaction score
It is a moral dilema.
Survival of the fittest. Weeding out weaker genes. Fine in theory, until it touches on a personal level.......

We are prolonging existence (in many cases it's not life) of individuals and diluting the strength of the gene pool. Apparently it is called progress.

For individuals and families no argument, medicine wins.
For the population as a whole and for future generations it is a problem.
Diluting the gene pool by extending life expectancy? Unless you think 80 and 90 year olds are going around knocking up 30 year old women then this would seem very unlikely.

Safranfoer

Reaction score
Diluting the gene pool by extending life expectancy? Unless you think 80 and 90 year olds are going around knocking up 30 year old women then this would seem very unlikely.
Even that wouldn’t dilute the gene pool unless said octogenarians were related to their 30-year old amours...

COVID-19 is making us challenge our human instinct to protect the most vulnerable. And probably our biological instinct to protect the elderly. Ice age man protected them at all costs. The elders knew where the berries grew and the herds migrated. They knew which water sources were reliable, and over what kind of cycle. They knew which plants and herbs had medicinal properties. Kids were therefore used as canaries in mineshafts. They’d be sent into caves first and if they came out again alive, there’s no sabre toothed tigers or toxic gases in there. Children were seen as an infinite resource - ten a penny, we can always make more. Wisdom takes time to grow.

Imagine those kinds of arguments playing out now, if Covid disproportionately affected kids. Why are you so sentimentally attached to them? We must preserve the economy! You can always grow some more!

Last edited:

Loxie

Reaction score
Even that wouldn’t dilute the gene pool unless said octogenarians were related to their 30-year old amours...

COVID-19 is making us challenge our human instinct to protect the most vulnerable. And probably our biological instinct to protect the elderly. Ice age man protected them at all costs. The elders knew where the berries grew and the herds migrated. They knew which water sources were reliable, and over what kind of cycle. They knew which plants and herbs had medicinal properties. Kids were therefore used as canaries in mineshafts. They’d be sent into caves first and if they came out again alive, there’s no sabre toothed tigers or toxic gases in there. Children were seen as an infinite resource - ten a penny, we can always make more. Wisdom takes time to grow.

Imagine those kinds of arguments playing out now, if Covid disproportionately affected kids. Why are you so sentimentally attached to them? We must preserve the economy! You can always grow some more!
The Spanish Flu disproportionately killed 20 to 40 year olds. Unfortunate given the timing.

Safranfoer

Reaction score
The Spanish Flu disproportionately killed 20 to 40 year olds. Unfortunate given the timing.
I read about this a while ago - the over 40s had been exposed to a similar sort of flu in their childhoods, which gave their immune system a better chance of fighting it off. 20 to 40s still only represented half the dead. The Spanish Flu still had a good chunk of other age groups.

I'm confused by Matt Hancock on the news this morning saying that in Leicester, the kids in particular are testing positive in great number, hence closing the schools.

They've spent the last month trying to convince us that not only are children largely unbothered by covid, they aren't vectors of transmission either, and now plan to open all schools to all year groups with a normal curriculum in September, without distancing at all, fining parents who refuse to send their children. The latest I've heard is that schools will form year group bubbles - that's 300 kids at my son's school. 300 separate households, linked by our kids.

These pieces of information do not fit together. They need to stop trying to pretend that it'll all be OK just because they need it to be - we'll all end up like Leicester, kids at school one week and closed the next, and that helps no one get back to work. The government needs to be much more imaginative in the use of public spaces so all children can receive a safe, distanced, face to face education ASAP. Theatres have seats and need money right now. Council gyms are closed. We have plenty of space if we stop trying to squash kids into classrooms built in 1832 for 16 village kids.

salarchaser

Reaction score
No, two sepparate issues and bad / lazy punctuation on my part.
Not exending end of life, providing opportunity for people who wouldnt have survived to puberty 100 years ago to procreate.

T7

Reaction score
No, two sepparate issues and bad / lazy punctuation on my part.
Not exending end of life, providing opportunity for people who wouldnt have survived to puberty 100 years ago to procreate.
would you like to provide some examples of diseases that would cause death in the ‘olden days’ but now people survive to reproduce and as you see it ‘dilute’ the gene pool?