Coronavirus

fixedspool

Reaction score
It's too late anyway Keirross. Most surrendered their liberty liked frightened sheep and rushed headlong to total state domination cowering behind their front doors. Many still are and there is more to come. more to come.

salarchaser

Reaction score
Our daily covid dashboard changed a few weeks ago too for some reason. Our hospital data used to show the numbers of confirmed covid cases and the number of suspected covid cases. The number of suspected cases has been removed.
Convenient that as these troubles start and with the flat lining / increasing trend of cases the daily briefings stop.
In no way deliberate, just convenient.

Safranfoer

Reaction score
Convenient that as these troubles start and with the flat lining / increasing trend of cases the daily briefings stop.
In no way deliberate, just convenient.
The daily briefings were becoming a bit of a daily kicking, and while I like watching Dominic Raab and Matt Hancock bluster as much as the next woman, they weren't a massively great use of anyone's time. This does not negate the need for a regular, consistent, national broadcast of the national picture - the more they hide the realities away, the more people will head to the beach and start licking door knobs. They are completely removing that element of, this isn't over. I don't understand why someone - the scientists even - couldn't give us a daily update on what's happening, with localised warnings. No need for press questions, or public - just, here are the facts, here's where we're at, followed by a reminder of what people need to do.

The rules are already quite complicated. My boy has been invited over for a sleepover at his friend's house, because that's allowed now (it isn't, unless they stay 2m apart). He's also been invited to go camping with another family, because that's allowed now (nope). My mother-in-law has resumed her daily trips to the nearest town on the bus, to catch up with her friends, as that's allowed now (nope, the guidance is still to stay in where you can, especially if you're an 80 year old woman with a heart condition). The rules are being interpreted diligently and incorrectly - we need that daily reminder, it seems.

salarchaser

Reaction score
The daily briefings were becoming a bit of a daily kicking, and while I like watching Dominic Raab and Matt Hancock bluster as much as the next woman, they weren't a massively great use of anyone's time. This does not negate the need for a regular, consistent, national broadcast of the national picture - the more they hide the realities away, the more people will head to the beach and start licking door knobs. They are completely removing that element of, this isn't over. I don't understand why someone - the scientists even - couldn't give us a daily update on what's happening, with localised warnings. No need for press questions, or public - just, here are the facts, here's where we're at, followed by a reminder of what people need to do.

The rules are already quite complicated. My boy has been invited over for a sleepover at his friend's house, because that's allowed now (it isn't, unless they stay 2m apart). He's also been invited to go camping with another family, because that's allowed now (nope). My mother-in-law has resumed her daily trips to the nearest town on the bus, to catch up with her friends, as that's allowed now (nope, the guidance is still to stay in where you can, especially if you're an 80 year old woman with a heart condition). The rules are being interpreted diligently and incorrectly - we need that daily reminder, it seems.
The rules have become so vague and unenforceable they might as well not exist.
And lots just ignore them anyway.
Unfortunately, common sense doesn't appear all that common.

Agree the daily briefings had lost their value, but some form of comms / updates / reminders should continue, indeed are needed.

Jockiescott

Reaction score
Ironic twist of fate and I bull you not, I’ve just been to price a job and the customer turns out is an itu nurse in royal Liverpool, she tells me the itu is empty and the hospital is slowly going back to normal, there are people on wards with corona but none needing intensive care at today.
That's great. Long may it continue!

Heero

Reaction score
Cases ramping up here. My area, SW Montana, is awash with tourists. Everyone wants to get out of whatever hellhole are they live in. Merka!

glenelg100

Reaction score
Ironic twist of fate and I bull you not, I’ve just been to price a job and the customer turns out is an itu nurse in royal Liverpool, she tells me the itu is empty and the hospital is slowly going back to normal, there are people on wards with corona but none needing intensive care at today.
As long as people are sensible, I'm sure things will get better still, but if people ignore every precaution in the book, then who knows

T7

Reaction score
People have heeded the warnings by the look of Bournemouth today. It reminds me a bit of when BJ told everyone to go outside and get fresh air and exercise and the National Trust opened everything then the general public got a battering in the right wing press for doing exactly that. The government don’t seem to realise the power of their words

MikeCC

Reaction score
Im in Amsterdam at the moment and have to say life here appears very much ‘normal’. Holland, like other European countries are probably 2 to 3 weeks or so ahead of us but from the moment of walking through ‘Arrivals’, its easy to wonder whether there had been a virus problem or not. Businesses, shops, cafe’s, hairdressers, museums etc etc.....everythings open.....motorways are packed. The weathers been glorious over the last 2 or 3 days and people are out in droves. When I walked through the city centre yesterday it was very busy. Social distancing signs are still up in places but crowds of people are still milling around, nobody seems to care too much. I dont think anyone wouldve fussed too much re Bournemouth beach scenes had it been a similar scene in Holland. Even the hotel staff where im staying say people are just going about their normal lives now. The daily infections are now down to about 100 or so a day from previous levels.

Last edited:

Loxie

Reaction score
I took my youngest daughter to hospital this week, she needs an operation that can't wait, and I couldn't believe how quiet the hospital was. I could park for a start!

salarchaser

Reaction score
I took my youngest daughter to hospital this week, she needs an operation that can't wait, and I couldn't believe how quiet the hospital was. I could park for a start!
Hope its nothing serious Loxie, and that it works through OK.

Last edited:

Loxie

Reaction score
Hope its nothing serious Loxie, and than it works through OK.
She broke her leg when she was 2 and it grew squint. She needed a plate in her knee to straighten it up and if they don't take it out it will go squint the other way!

salarchaser

Reaction score
She broke her leg when she was 2 and it grew squint. She needed a plate in her knee to straighten it up and if they don't take it out it will go squint the other way!
Ok, nothing life threatening which is a relief, but sounds life impacting, so still important.
Fingers crossed for her loxie.

Loxie

Reaction score
Loxie, how are things looking for your fishery? Hope your girl recovers from her surgery well.
fishing has been pretty popular so we have moved quite a few extra fish that we had stockpiled. We still have too many but it's manageable. The rain last week was a godsend.

she's a tough little girl and coped well when they put the plate in. They are not removing it fully but deactivating it for now so keyhole surgery but under a general which is the worst bit. Thanks for your kind thoughts.

ibm59

Reaction score
Fingers crossed , Andrew

westie4566

Reaction score
Our Coronavirus wards in ARI went back to being general surgery 3 weeks ago. It was great news. That said, we seem to have got off rather lightly in Scotland as a whole and even better by region.

westie4566

Reaction score
Andrew, all the best for your wee lass. Glad to hear things are moving in generally the right direction business wise too.

keirross

Reaction score
Oh, I’m really not keen on digital tracing. I think the Apple/google model is better but there’s no way I’d have used the government’s own - and I’m ordinarily fairly compliant and fearful. Comes to something when you can trust business over government but at least I understand the value exchange with business and can judge it on my own terms.
Maybe 'yours' and not too many others, ?

Safranfoer

Reaction score
Maybe 'yours' and not too many others, ?
I don’t understand the comment - but I can avoid Apple and Google easily, if I choose, or I can make a choice about what they offer vs what I have to give, on my own terms. So can anyone else. Same with the government app. It’s not true state surveillance until it’s compulsory.

Though I learned today that they’d keep the data for 20 years and that’s just not necessary by any measure.

Safranfoer

Reaction score
What’s the rules now for English travelling to Scotland ?
Clear as mud...I read this as, it's frowned upon but who's gonna stop you? 'Advised...' 'Perhaps you shouldn't...'

Can I travel between Scotland and England?
Despite calls to do so earlier on in the coronavirus crisis, the UK is not leaving lockdown in “lockstep”, which means each of the four devolved nations are taking different approaches to easing their restrictions.

Since lockdown measures differ in each nation of the UK, households have been advised not to travel between them, and instead must “respect” each area’s measures.

But with new rules introduced in England and Scotland, does this change?

“We are not putting a legal limit on how far you can travel to meet another household, but please use your good judgement,” said Sturgeon.

Households should still not currently travel between Scotland and England.

“If the distance is so far that you would have to use someone else’s bathroom, then perhaps you shouldn’t be doing it,” said Sturgeon.

While there is “no legal limit” on how far you can travel to meet another household, Sturgeon urged Scots to “please use your good judgement.”

The Government says “people in Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland should follow the specific rules in those parts of the UK.”

The wording is identical across media sources, suggesting it's a lifted and shifted government press release - see here