Coronavirus

Wee-Eck

Reaction score
I posted this on another thread but feel it should have one of its own.
I tried to source anti bacterial/viral hand gel from several chemists the other week but they were all sold out and could not say when new stock was coming in. I researched making my own and have now done so. It works and even my wife likes it.

Recipe for home made anti bacterial/viral hand gel.

2/3 cup of 99% Isopropyl Alcohol (rubbing alcohol but industrial strength) dilute by 1/3 with water if using as a disinfectant for wiping surfaces. 70% solution is ideal.
1/3 cup of Aloe Vera Gel (as pure as you can get it)
a few drops of the essential oil of your choice to make it smell nice.
Mix it well and pour into a bottle. It will keep for about 6 months and cost 1/4 the price of the stuff you get in the shops.

All items are still available on the internet. Get the Isopropyl Acohol from an industrial chemist supplier in 5 litre containers. What you don't need for your gel has many other uses. e.g. car screenwash, cleaning computers or electrical components.

Last edited:

Heero

Reaction score
This **** is putting a real damper on my scheduled trip to Italy in May.

ArchieL

Reaction score
I know i have some older family members who i would not want to catch this as they have health issues at present. Worrying times and especially for the older members of the UK. Not what the UK economy needs right now either.

ArchieL

Reaction score
This **** is putting a real damper on my scheduled trip to Italy in May.
Heero i understand your pain mate, thing is unless you booked with an ATOL company and they cancel the flights/holiday then you will be left to go to somewhere which could be on lockdown. I read an article the other day quoting much the same. I have booked a big family holiday to Florida but it is not until July so i am hoping this peaks soon then settles back down as we have done all the bookings and accommodation ourselves.

Wee-Eck

Reaction score
Hi Oscar,
Yes that would do it but it is important that you dilute the Alcohol down to 70% as the virus envelope needs a wetting agent to break it down before the alcohol does its job.
Pure alcohol evaporates too quickly. Bleach for example needs to stay wet for 20 - 30 seconds before it does the same job so a wipe with a bleach cloth would probably not kill it.

Grassy_Knollington

Reaction score
Is it still ok to hug and kiss the Ghillie on arrival at the hut; or do I need to be wearing waders and gloves first?

Wee-Eck

Reaction score
Yes that would be ok but only after you have disinfected him with Virkon at the same time you are doing your net and waders. :lol:

Occasional salmon fisher

Reaction score
This has the feeling of something that is going to keep going for some time. The main problem is the "carriers" (innocent) who don't know they have it and unwittingly spread it. Events such as the Olympics, Euro 2020 could be under real threat. Massive global economic impact too.

Reaction score
Don't know what to make of it. It certainly is starting to sound like it's not just another flu. Hopefully not as bad as the worst case scenario they have been talking about. People will be rightly worried about those who have the underlying conditions that this could prove fatal with.
Selfishly I've had an amazing 14 weeks of training for this Manchester marathon with no injuries. Probably been running all winter through wind, rain and snow for nothing. Maybe my body knows it's not happening :doh:. Be interesting to see how it plays out over the next month or so hopefully not as bad as currently feared in some reports. On a better note how great has the spring like weather felt last two days.

Chicharito

Reaction score
I am off to Milan on Saturday. Not too worried by all the hype and scaremongering.
My other half on the other hand is worried to death and has decided not to go !
At least that will save some money on dog sitting fees.
Looking forward to a weeks skiing and being able to do as I please. Got quite a few friends over there as we have been going to same place for years.
Looks like plane will only be half full as well.

Occasional salmon fisher

Reaction score
I am off to Milan on Saturday. Not too worried by all the hype and scaremongering.
My other half on the other hand is worried to death and has decided not to go !
At least that will save some money on dog sitting fees.
Looking forward to a weeks skiing and being able to do as I please. Got quite a few friends over there as we have been going to same place for years.
Looks like plane will only be half full as well.
The irony with the virus is that the vast majority of people coming into contact with it won't be too ill, by all accounts not even as severe as a bad cold. The old and those with poor immune systems or underlying health problems are at greater risk but they would be with normal flu. We are due to fly to Spain for a week end of the month, playing it by ear at the moment. I am not too worried about the virus but can't afford to be quarantined abroad for 14 days just as I enter my busiest work period.

Walleye

Reaction score
Mortality rate of flu is 0.1%.
Deaths from flu after hospitalisation are about 6% (all USA figures for 18/19)
CoVid19 estimates vary from 2% to 5% however, nobody knows the true number of infected people because many just have minor cold like symptoms and the young don't seem to suffer much at all. So it could easily be an order of magnitude off.

Like the last outbreaks or corona virus (SARS, Mers) the number of deaths from flu will probably significantly reduce due to improved hygiene and precautionary measures from the publicity.

It's debatable whether fewer people will die from flu and coronaviris this season than would have died from flu alone. In the USA last flu season there were 18000 deaths from flu so it is highly likely Corona virus may on balance save lives from fewer people getting flu due to better hygiene.

The problem I have is that I work with a few high risk individuals, live with one very high risk individual, visit other high risk individuals quite often, travel a lot and come into contact with other travellers a lot. So I have to take precautions to protect others around me.

It's annoying but not much trouble if you think about it. I think if the journos still had brexit to bleat about and make mischief we may not be so bombarded by coronavirus every bloody minute of the day. Twice I've switched from 5 live during my commute, once during brexit and today during coronavirus. The first question they asked Dillian Whyte on 5live was about coronavirus ***. Talksport is better even if it does have ads they don't mention brexit or corona.

MCXFisher

Reaction score
The major difference between Cov-id19 and influenza is that this coronavirus is an entirely new virus that hasn't been previously seen or documented. As a result there is no population immunity, whereas with flu there are lots of people who have had all manner of sub-types over the years and therefore have some degree of immunity. It is for that reason that the attack rate of 60% is higher than most assumptions for flu.The UK has been planning for pandemic influenza since 2004 because it sits at the top right hand corner of the national risk assessment in terms of both likelihood and impact. As a result the government has put a lot of time and effort into studying and understanding the epidemiology of mass outbreaks. Those plans have been brought out and revised regularly, including for the 2009 Mexican/Swine flu outbreak. The reasonable worst case assumption for H1N1 derivative flu is an attack rate of around 50% and an age-adjusted mortality range between 1 and 2.5%.As Walleye correctly states the lethality of Cov-id19 is difficult to establish owing to weakness in the data and age-related distortions (e.g. I am advised that the first focus in Italy was 2 care homes with a large contingent of highly vulnerable people). Moreover, there is always a 3 week lag in fatal cases owing to treatment time. If it gets hold in Europe we should see a rapid stabilisation of the data. PHE estimated that 10% of fit adults who catch it will feel barely anything (the Brighton super-spreader recovered in 3 days) but may wander around giving it to others; the next 80% will feel ill to varying degree but recover within 2-3 weeks; and the risks are concentrated in the last 10%, of whom about half will require very serious clinical interventions.It remains the case that good personal hygiene with frequent had washing is a good first line of defence. As before Walleye is correct that this increased awareness and changed behaviour may reduce the infection rate of the winter flu currently doing the rounds.

Last edited:

SOS

Reaction score
If washing your hands with an alcohol based gel kills the virus would drinking copious amounts of alcohol protect you from catching it also?.
I think i will give it a try,will report back in 6 weeks time when i am sober.

Chicharito

Reaction score
If washing your hands with an alcohol based gel kills the virus would drinking copious amounts of alcohol protect you from catching it also?.
I think i will give it a try,will report back in 6 weeks time when i am sober.
I am on it already! Seems to be working 😂

SOS

Reaction score
I see wee Jimmy crankie is on the news demonstrating how to use hand gel,she should be good at that as she washes her hands on everything other than indy ref 2.

mows

Reaction score
The major difference between Cov-id19 and fly is that this coronavirus is an entirely new virus that hasn't been previously seen or documented. As a result there is no population immunity, whereas with flu there are lots of people who have had all manner of sub-types over the years and therefore have some degree of immunity. It is for that reason that the attack rate of 60% is higher than most assumptions for flu.

The UK has been planning for pandemic influenza since 2004 because it sits at the top right hand corner of the national risk assessment in terms of both likelihood and impact. As a result the government has put a lot of time and effort into studying and understanding the epidemiology of mass outbreaks. Those plans have been brought out and revised regularly, including for the 2009 Mexican/Swine flu outbreak. The reasonable worst case assumption for H1N1 derivative flu is an attack rate of around 50% and an age-adjusted mortality range between 1 and 2.5%.

As Walleye correctly states the lethality of Cov-id19 is difficult to establish owing to weakness in the data and age-related distortions (e.g. I am advised that the first focus in Italy was 2 care homes with a large contingent of highly vulnerable people). Moreover, there is always a 3 week lag in fatal cases owing to treatment time. If it gets hold in Europe we should see a rapid stabilisation of the data. PHE estimated that 10% of fit adults who catch it will feel barely anything (the Brighton super-spreader recovered in 3 days) but may wander around giving it to others; the next 80% will feel ill to varying degree but recover within 2-3 weeks; and the risks are concentrated in the last 10%, of whom about half will require very serious clinical interventions.

It remains the case that good personal hygiene with frequent had washing is a good first line of defence. As before Walleye is correct that this increased awareness and changed behaviour may reduce the infection rate of the winter flu currently doing the rounds.
Whilst not wanting to belittle the Corona virus outbreak, it has a seriously disproportionate amount of press compared to effect.
We've had it here in Singapore since January and no deaths yet.
But a few in critical condition.
If you look at the links bellow and study them, it looks like its not that an efficient spreader.
In 2 months 110 people out of 5.8million have it.
Almost every case is traceable and has been passed on by close contact.
The unexplained ones tend to have visited Malaysia or Indonesia, where there is almost no official corona virus, because they don't look for it. Indonesia's take is that it isn't worth the cost to manage, just let it run its course.
In the same period, there has been 3750 dengue fever cases and 2 deaths.
It will be very difficult to establish realistic death rates as most of the countries that have a serious outbreak, are also serious liars.
And also there will be a large percentage of mild cases that aren't diagnosed.
Italy could not have got in to the state it is if the majority of cases weren't mild.

I think the corona virus will effectively save more flu deaths, by getting everyone to improve hygiene and reduce flu spread than will be killed by Corona virus.

If its about death by disease.
Why isn't it a legal requirement to be immunised for measles and mumps.
Why isn't everyone not immunised, quarantined until they are.

Why isn't HPV immunisation compulsory for both sexes.

Why isn't there an annual hand sanitising campaign during flu season.

Corona virus is an issue and unfortunately some ill and elderly people will die.
But no where near as much as other illnesses that no one seems that bothered about.
Its like its been weaponised against China and is now back firing.
Or used to manipulate the world stock markets.
So much for "JUST IN TIME" ordering, hows that working for you now?
How many decades of just in time ordering will you have to do to cover the loss made this year because of it?

The corona virus DNA sequence was first recorded in the world wide virus data base in November 2019.

Some interesting links bellow re how Singapore is managing it Singapore

gov.sg | Coronavirus disease 2019: Cases in Singapore
Researchers identify two coronavirus types as China cases dwindle
MOH | Updates on COVID-19 (Coronavirus Disease 2019) Local Situation

Cheers

Mows

Last edited: