Coronavirus & Fishing!!!!

simon grace

Reaction score
Bolton Abbey Estate in North Yorkshire has closed its gates today. Access to all parts of the Estate are closed including access to the river.
After speaking to the estate office should a full lockdown take place which it probably will all public & private footpaths aswell as open spaces across the UK will be closed to stop any gathering of people.
Fishing therefore could possibly be banned during the lockdown due to other restrictions as what happened during the F&M crisis .. 😔😒

Last edited:

Hardyreels

Administrator
Reaction score
Now THAT'S a worry!

I don't rule it out here in Alaska either because people are carrying on as if this is just another boogie man story. If we end up with a high number of cases (15 at the moment) there could be travel issues even within the state. All I need is clear access to a couple boat launches and I'll be fine. Once on the river I have 60 miles of water available but you have to be able to use the launch............

firefly

Reaction score
As of yesterday all fishing and hunting is prohibited in Belgium under the rule of non-essential travel. Makes sense, self isolation and unnecessary travel are incompatible.

Loxie

Reaction score
As of yesterday all fishing and hunting is prohibited in Belgium under the rule of non-essential travel. Makes sense, self isolation and unnecessary travel are incompatible.
It makes no sense to me. If unnecessary travel is the problem then ban that! I intend to fish and shoot every day I can if I don't get sick. I can do so without coming in to contact with anyone else or going off my own property.

SP8

Reaction score
Anglian Water have closed all their fisheries, bank and boat. Yorkshire water have closed all car parks and permissive paths. I can understand Bolton Abbey closing, it's like Blackpool on a nice weekend at any time but I have access to miles of river where I would be unlikely to see a soul and I can get there without coming into contact with anyone so I shall be really fed up if I can't get out because the morons in this country can't grasp a simple concept like social distancing. There are signs up in several Dales villages since the weekend telling people to go home and respect their communities. Malham was jammed solid on Saturday to the extent where the Cave Rescue Organisation took to social media to beg people not to come to the area. It seems like a collective madness has gripped the nation. Spirit of the blitz my a**e.

SP8

westie4566

Reaction score
The 'non essential travel' will be the rub. OK for you Loxie as it's your own fishing (lucky b'ugger!!!)

It does sound ludicrous as I could go out the door, jump in the car, drive down the road, fish all day without seeing anyone let alone being in contact. That's pretty blooming safe in anyone's books.

However, I guess that there'll be all sort of *******s used by those trying to flout travel restrictions that ours would be seen as just an excuse. I'm pee'd right off.

Jockiescott

Reaction score
I almost wish my club would come out and say that fishing is banned to be honest.

My river always opened on 20th May but this year have decided to open on April 1st as our counters suggest that there are fish entering the river in sufficient numbers in April and May.

I can access the river myself without coming into contact with anyone. Other members have to drive to the river and park to access the river. Where I live, this is outside residents houses. Anglers sharing a car or meeting up with others here and going to the river in pairs or three at a time. It really only takes a hand on a gate or a fence and the virus could potentially be spread further than it would if fishing wasn't happening.

I'll not lie. I hope to be at the river on April 1st, hopefully to try out a new rod. I'll have a few casts in the stream closest to my house and that will be the end of my fishing till things improve or for the season if they don't.

My friends and neighbours are more important to me than whether I can fish or not.

T7

Reaction score
Think the issue is gates, stiles, padlocks on club car parks etc. V tricky one as in general it can be a solitary pastime but if everyone touches the same gate...

tenet

Reaction score
Bristol Water have closed both Chew and Blagdon, Thames Water have suspended boat fishing on Farmoor and a number of Midland reservoirs have put the shutters up. Draconian measures maybe forthcoming regarding travel which will be revealed by BJ tonight at 8.30 pm.
Horror of horrors our local Sainsbury's has run out of wine apart from the expensive stuff at £15 - 20 per bottle although fresh veg, meat and other consumables were available. Now that is serious.🤗

firefly

Reaction score
It makes no sense to me. If unnecessary travel is the problem then ban that! I intend to fish and shoot every day I can if I don't get sick. I can do so without coming in to contact with anyone else or going off my own property.
That's because you're in a very privileged position, some guys have all the luck. I fully understand why it doesn't make sense to you. Personally. I've been there, but I wonder if it would make sense to all who were grounded while you continued. It's just a matter of perception. Would you continue when there was a national ban, like we have now?

Loxie

Reaction score
That's because you're in a very privileged position, some guys have all the luck. I fully understand why it doesn't make sense to you. Personally. I've been there, but I wonder if it would make sense to all who were grounded while you continued. It's just a matter of perception. Would you continue when there was a national ban, like we have now?
No one would ever know what I chose to do, but I hope our government wouldn't be stupid enough to impose one. I'm all for sensible precautions but I'm not keen on knee jerk reactions.

I could fish from inside my house. I wonder if that would offend anyone?

Grassy_Knollington

Reaction score
I stopped at Draycote on Friday on the way home from work. We’re on minimum manning now and I’m off work this week.

After watching the idiocy at the weekend, I couldn’t in all conscience have travelled to fish this week. There’s going to be no travelling down to the Wye for me either. Our end of June fishing is probably done for too.

I will be at home, in the garden for P.E. with the kids and doing those jobs I always avoid. If I had a river on my land, it would be getting smashed. Luckily for us we live in the countryside and can enjoy the air outside.

I presume I wasn’t the only one who got the email on Friday offering a week on the Naver for 6 rods beginning 29 Mar? :D. Apparently it was cancelled at short notice due to some virus thing......:lol:

The situation is what it is and we’re as well just getting on with it. I just hope these guys haven’t taken up permanent station on ‘my’ stretch of trout river by the time we get to fish again.

37902BB3-29DE-4777-8195-453B4D9B92C9.jpeg

Last edited:

westie4566

Reaction score
No one would ever know what I chose to do, but I hope our government wouldn't be stupid enough to impose one. I'm all for sensible precautions but I'm not keen on knee jerk reactions.

Your not going after those poor goldfish again are you?? The must be pretty hook shy by now!:lol:

sneakypeter

Reaction score
Loxie, your a lucky man, given your circumstances, I would do the same. I have to travel, OK in the car, 80 mile drive, no contact, no need for any close contact whilst fishing, then drive back, would seem safe enough, so that's the plan for tomorrow. Whether we will be allowed that freedom for very much longer is very doubtful, and I would imagine that fisheries will be forced to close, along with all non essential shops etc, including my place of work (scary stuff!!!!) BUT, for the greater good, its a sacrifice we all face, and should except, C&R fishing is hardly worth the risk of adding to the spread of this nasty, potentially fatal virus, we have to think beyond our own selfish needs! Stay safe and well isolated,
peter

Chicharito

Reaction score
I cancelled my flights to Ireland today and car parking and car hire. All monies will be refunded. Looks like Ballynahinch Castle will have to wait for this year.
Back home to Yorkshire tomorrow for hibernation for the foreseeable future.

firefly

Reaction score

I could too, from the sleeping room, from the terras, in the canal through the garden and in the pond. In fact, I could fish whilst the fishing season on the river was closed. Never did, not out of fear to offend anyone, I was allowed to fish, but didn't out of solidarity. Now don't get me wrong, everyone has his own priorities, but if fishing can be temporary closed for the good of the fish and everyone agrees, I can't see any reason not to agree when it's closed for the good of humans. As I say, it's a personal view.

Lamson v10

Reaction score
We'll find out what's happening next when bojo makes his announcement at 830pm, I have fishing booked for this weekend if it can happen then happy day's if not I'll be in the back garden wae a nice bottle of whisky and pink floyd playing 👍🏻

Last edited:

keirstream

Reaction score
My fishing to the Helmsdale next week cancelled due to Badenloch Lodge closing, Auchentoul has also closed. Fishing to the Far North in July cancelled, lodge closed, fishing at Tulchan received email today, cancelled, lodge and cottages closed. April few days on Tummel looks unlikely,May trip to Conon seems unlikely, Russian trip mid June certain to be binned.
If non essential travel is banned, my local rivers, Teith and Earn might as well be on the moon.:(
But---------if I and my family and friends get through this horrible plague then that means much more to me than a few weeks fishing.

sneakypeter

Reaction score
That is it then, fishing is cancelled, job cancelled, not surprised, but think it will take a lot of getting used too!!!!
peter

SOS

Reaction score
Coronavirus has now spread to five different threads.

Last edited:

salmo76

Reaction score
Think the clue was in the "one form of exercise , walking ,running or cycling, once per day ". Doubt it includes walking to go fishing or hunting or metal detecting or kite flying or any of a multitude of other outdoor pursuits.

Neil W

Reaction score
We just have to take it on the chin and stop fishing. It’s not the biggest sacrifice people have been asked to make over history