corona vs employees vs employer

Loxie

Reaction score
I’ve just digested the small print on the Gov website. It is indeed taxable, along with NI. The employer however has the option to pay more if they so choose. What I cant fathom out is this a ‘grant’ the govt are paying out and what is repayable by the company/employer and at what rate?
It is a grant and covers employers NI and minimum auto enrolment pension contributions too. Employees tax and NI deducted as normal.

pol_angler

Reaction score
Guess I am the lucky one with my wife being able to continue from home and me being forced (#&@£#!!) to work. I can swear as much as I want at my employer but I aknowledge the fact that this is a higher call that even a selfish barsteward (lol) like me cannot ignore.

Good luck to anyone affected by the crises. We'll all wake up to see a different world in 12 weeks time.

wormo

Reaction score
phone call to confirm my furlough but they are unwilling to pay the extra 20% which is no surprise; ah well better than nothing but just shows what type of employers they are
I could understand if there were lots on furlough within the company but as it's an essential factory 90% of the workers are still there and reps & managers are working from home

Safranfoer

Reaction score
phone call to confirm my furlough but they are unwilling to pay the extra 20% which is no surprise; ah well better than nothing but just shows what type of employers they are
I could understand if there were lots on furlough within the company but as it's an essential factory 90% of the workers are still there and reps & managers are working from home
We're making decisions about this right now - nothing is set in stone either way, but we're thinking long term about making sure the reserves we have in the business are available to support everyone, for potentially a long time. Your employer does sound like a bit of a dick, but not every business will be able to afford 100% and not every business that can't is doing it to protect their profits. A reduced wage bill for everyone is one way to lessen the impact and reduce the likelihood of redundancies. Whatever your factory makes, people still need to be in a position to buy - there aren't many businesses that will profit from this, Amazon, off licenses and supermarkets aside.

simoncassidy

Reaction score
ok guys I though this was cut and dry for employees
I'm a non key worker as admittedly my employer and so chose to self isolate to protect my elderly mother that is isolated in my house looking after my 12yo son , my employers are both in their 70s and I'm their private chef , obviously a luxury
so this is my first day of isolation and I thought I'd ask about when I should go back and ssp etc
got reply back as I chose to self isolate I will receive no ssp as I'm not sick, surely this is *******s ? or else I'm screwed
help please
Hi Wormo not 100% how things work over with you, but before we went into lockdown here in Ireland we were working away albeit under restrictions.I work for a large Civil Engineering Company 500 plus employees.During the week I asked what was our protocol on this.Everyone is free to stay home sick or not here that entitles you to the minimum social welfare payment.But if I think I may have symptoms or any of my family have then then the Company are obliged to tell me to stay at home, this entitles me to 70% of my salary this can be paid by my employer and they will be reimbursed by the Government.If I suspect any of the guys working with me have symptoms they must be asked to stay at home for a minimum of 14 days thus entitling them to the 70% payment.Tell your employers you intend to return to work because you cannot recieve any social security,If they tell you to stay home surely that would entitle you. Barring that tell them your coming back and you think its only a bad cough you have.

Last edited:

playhappy

Reaction score
I’m hoping for 80% in June – how I get through until then is going to be a real challenge for us. We have asked for a mortgage break but have not had confirmation. I buy and sell antiques, art and vintage furniture, so all my limited brass is in stock (most of which is for sale online but let’s face it buying that standout item for your home isn’t a priority is it) – its like ebay has been switched off !

Usually in a pinch I can hustle (the chair I am sat on as I type this has a for sale ticket on it) and send unsold stock to auction and draw some quick cash but they are all closed. I also get a small monthly royalty cheque of 200 for my book sales.

My wife is a front-line worker ( social care support officer adult services )- so now the schools are shut I am full time looking after my children so unable work during the week – ( happy to do courier and removals at the weekend, all recent jobs have been cancelled ) So we are purely living off my wifes wage.

Obviously, our circumstances could be a lot worse – but no income for 12 weeks is going to be really tough.

One thing is for sure – what we are learning is there really is no “normal” the diversity of peoples situations is broad and wide. I am in no doubt that the aftermath of this pandemic is going to be the true test – a long list of services underfunded for years – now are all deemed “heros & essential”. How we care for the vulnerable and reward the people & services who governments took for granted will be this pandemics legacy.

29th June 2017 – 323 MP’s vote NO to a pay rise for emergency services - & cheer about doing so.

On a lighter note - anybody else really missing sport ?

Last edited: