corona vs employees vs employer

wormo

Reaction score
ok guys I though this was cut and dry for employees
I'm a non key worker as admittedly my employer and so chose to self isolate to protect my elderly mother that is isolated in my house looking after my 12yo son , my employers are both in their 70s and I'm their private chef , obviously a luxury
so this is my first day of isolation and I thought I'd ask about when I should go back and ssp etc
got reply back as I chose to self isolate I will receive no ssp as I'm not sick, surely this is *******s ? or else I'm screwed
help please

Byron

Reaction score
I'm a non key worker as admittedly my employer and so chose to self isolate to protect my elderly mother that is isolated in my house looking after my 12yo son , my employers are both in their 70s and I'm their private chef , obviously a luxury
so this is my first day of isolation and I thought I'd ask about when I should go back and ssp etc
got reply back as I chose to self isolate I will receive no ssp as I'm not sick, surely this is *******s ? or else I'm screwed
help please
I would get in contact with citizens advice and see what they have to say.

keirstream

Reaction score
help please
Very much depends on whether you are employed or self employed Craig. This makes a massive difference as far as I can see. What I don't understand is your situation. You chose to self isolate for good reason. Why then have you asked to return to work when the crisis is yet to peak?
Anyway, that aside, if you are employed directly, then I would expect the S.S.P. payment.
If self employed, watch with interest the governments announcements. As I understand it, they are still formulating a plan for that.

wormo

Reaction score
Very much depends on whether you are employed or self employed Craig. This makes a massive difference as far as I can see. What I don't understand is your situation. You chose to self isolate for good reason. Why then have you asked to return to work when the crisis is yet to peak?
Anyway, that aside, if you are employed directly, then I would expect the S.S.P. payment.
If self employed, watch with interest the governments announcements. As I understand it, they are still formulating a plan for that.
just looking to see how long roughly they were expecting me to be off as they have guidelines to follow
ps I'm employed not self employed

keirstream

Reaction score
just looking to see how long roughly they were expecting me to be off as they have guidelines to follow
ps I'm employed not self employed
O.k. now I understand.
They have no option other to pay the S.S.P. as a minimum.
Get in touch with the Benefits Agency also, you are most likely due some enhanced payments.
Take care and look after the ould yin like she looked after you.:thumb:

tealblue

Reaction score
Best of luck trying to contact Benefit Agency, seen online people on hold for hours at a time.

firefly

Reaction score
help please
You'll be sorted out, Wormo, give it some time (if you have some, financially). The whole system is in overload, everywhere, in Belgium half of the active population are being payed compensations by the government right now. But other dominopieces are tumbling, our bank ratings are reviewed as I type. We've got something coming, just like everyone else.

Safranfoer

Reaction score
I'm not sure they do have to pay you, wormo. If you have to self-isolate because you have symptoms or because you have come into contact with someone with coronavirus, they have to pay you SSP.

If you take time off to care for dependants - dependants includes parents - it's classed as Emergency Dependants Leave, which is unpaid. I'd check with Citizen's Advice - it might be that actually, they should furlough you under the 80%/£2.5k government scheme, because as they are over 70, they are supposed to stay away from YOU.

Walleye

Reaction score
I'm not sure they do have to pay you, wormo. If you have to self-isolate because you have symptoms or because you have come into contact with someone with coronavirus, they have to pay you SSP.

If you take time off to care for dependants - dependants includes parents - it's classed as Emergency Dependants Leave, which is unpaid. I'd check with Citizen's Advice - it might be that actually, they should furlough you under the 80%/£2.5k government scheme, because as they are over 70, they are supposed to stay away from YOU.
Absolutely right. You can't work because they are in isolation so definitely furlough.
Contact your employer and insist they use the furlough scheme. It will cost them virtually nothing unless they decide to top up to 100% which is optional.

Personally, if I had a private chef, I'd be treating him/her extremely well or I'd be looking for a new private chef when it's all done.

wormo

Reaction score
good news although I feel I've had to push for it is it looks like the furlough option is going ahead for me which is a big relief
many thanks for the above advice I appreciate you guys help

Last edited:

budge

Reaction score
good news although I feel I've had to push for it is it looks like the furlough option is going ahead for me which is a big relief
That's great to hear. I received an email from my employers yesterday regarding the furlough scheme. It basically asked you to accept 80% of your normal pay. It had to be returned before Friday. I assume to receive payments ASAP.

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

Safranfoer

Reaction score
Great news - though annoying you had to push. I agree with walleye - there are people in life you may feel it's OK to treat thoughtlessly or badly, but never, ever the person cooking your food... That's just basic survival skills.

Loxie

Reaction score
That's great to hear. I received an email from my employers yesterday regarding the furlough scheme. It basically asked you to accept 80% of your normal pay. It had to be returned before Friday. I assume to receive payments ASAP.

My understanding is your employer pays you and then claims the money back from HMRC. The scheme is backdatable to 1st March. The money is expected to come through in May so there may be issues. Obviously I might be wrong too!

budge

Reaction score
My understanding is your employer pays you and then claims the money back from HMRC. The scheme is backdatable to 1st March. The money is expected to come through in May so there may be issues. Obviously I might be wrong too!
Yeh I don't expect to get it immediately. I'm lucky to have a bit of a buffer so I won't be living off crisps. I feel sorry for many who don't have that. Think the foodbanks are going to need some help in the next few weeks

Loxie

Reaction score
Yeh I don't expect to get it immediately. I'm lucky to have a bit of a buffer so I won't be living off crisps. I feel sorry for many who don't have that. Think the foodbanks are going to need some help in the next few weeks

I'm paying my furloughed staff as normal and hoping the government cough for their 80% in due course. People have to live and I would hope all employers that can will do the same.

Safranfoer

Reaction score
I'm paying my furloughed staff as normal and hoping the government cough for their 80% in due course. People have to live and I would hope all employers that can will do the same.
Not all businesses have the cash reserves to do this for very long and any forecasting has gone out of the window in terms of projecting income against costs. Businesses will do their best, is all one can hope.

Loxie

Reaction score
Not all businesses have the cash reserves to do this for very long and any forecasting has gone out of the window in terms of projecting income against costs. Businesses will do their best, is all one can hope.
I know. I'm naturally cautious about spending and try to keep a cushion but the nature of my business means I'm at my lowest point cash wise in the last week of March. Great timing. I can't afford to do this for long and I'm sure there will be many that can't do it at all. A friend of mine is paying his staff from his savings until he gets gov money and that's a very short term option.

Oscar

Reaction score

What saf says - try and get furloughed.

Oscar.

budge

Reaction score
Is the 80% / maximum £2500 taxable?....surely not i hope
I've had a quick look through the rules, and from what I can gather the pay is based on an average of your basic gross pay and is subject to tax and national insurance deductions. Manageable if you earn less than £2500 a month but probably not if you earn much above that limit.

MikeCC

Reaction score
I’ve just digested the small print on the Gov website. It is indeed taxable, along with NI. The employer however has the option to pay more if they so choose. What I cant fathom out is this a ‘grant’ the govt are paying out and what is repayable by the company/employer and at what rate?

kinnaber

Reaction score
Great news - though annoying you had to push. I agree with walleye - there are people in life you may feel it's OK to treat thoughtlessly or badly, but never, ever the person cooking your food... That's just basic survival skills.
For sure....Belladonna cones to mind

The flying Scotsman

Reaction score
Lucky for guys I’m self employed and will get 80% of my earnings in June. I’ve effectively paid off my apprentice as I won’t be able to support myself or family for 3 months without pay let alone pay an apprentice. There will be a huge recession after this which will dry most of my work up. I run a small joinery/building company and I will be amazed if it survives.