Coquet season 2021

Nath

Reaction score
What a top fish, nice that is come in feb as in more recent years it seemed to be getting later and later, so it’s great to see! Makes you want to get out there and at them!

marty31

Reaction score
What a top fish, nice that is come in feb as in more recent years it seemed to be getting later and later, so it’s great to see! Makes you want to get out there and at them!
Was working past rothbury Tuesday and the council were setting the floodgates as the river was dangerously in the fields, never even crossed my mind a freshie would come out at the "white posts" today!

NEbody

Reaction score
Was working past rothbury Tuesday and the council were setting the floodgates as the river was dangerously in the fields, never even crossed my mind a freshie would come out at the "white posts" today!
The river’s been quite big with snow melt but the reason they’re twitchy about flood risk in Rothbury is that it’s broken through into the old gravel workings a few miles upstream and they were concerned that the whole lot would come down. The river’s fallen a bit since then.

story in the Chronicle here: https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/new...ztpqR7MAbdYoLhWoeWq95uV09dxPQExwS_GlY3gfRO4zM

Rrrr

Reaction score
The river’s been quite big with snow melt but the reason they’re twitchy about flood risk in Rothbury is that it’s broken through into the old gravel workings a few miles upstream and they were concerned that the whole lot would come down. The river’s fallen a bit since then.

story in the Chronicle here: https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/new...ztpqR7MAbdYoLhWoeWq95uV09dxPQExwS_GlY3gfRO4zM
Have you heard anything about what the ea are planning to do with it ? Its a big problem long term as itl not take long to wash any repairs out.

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk

NEbody

Reaction score
Have you heard anything about what the ea are planning to do with it ? Its a big problem long term as itl not take long to wash any repairs out.

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk
Only what I’ve read on the Northumberland Gazette website. I don’t think they’ll try to repair it because the river up there wanders about every time there’s a decent flood and that’s part of the reason for the river being designated as a SSSI.

It’s only a problem because of the lakes. Where it went through the lower lakes a few years back seems to have settled down quite nicely so I expect this would over time. The short term issues are the potential additional flood risk to Rothbury and whether fish can get past so the sensible thing to do IMO would be to gap the downstream side so that the water didn’t build up in the lakes and fish could get through. Doing that safely will probably take a bit of planning.