Converting stocking foot to boot waders

Kype King

Reaction score
A friend of mine is allergic to neoprene and most, if not all, boot foot chest waders seem to have neoprene lined boots these days. So, we are contemplating cutting neoprene socks Off an old pair of waders and gluing them to a pair of rubber welly boots. Anyone done this and have any advice?! Alternatively, anyone know of a make of boot foot waders that don’t have any neoprene in them?

Cheers!

Alastair

KILDONAN

Reaction score
Does he use socks?
I mean surely some kind of barrier between his feet and neoprene would be easier.

Pati

Reaction score
Hi

Patagonia Middle Fork waders have caoutchouc socks. These waders are built for transporting in a backpack and putting them on once you arrive to the water. They are extremely packable (takes up less space than a 1.5L water bottle) and the caoutchouc socks were selected for their packability. Other advantage: it is much more resistant than neoprene and if you ever have a leak it is much easier to repair!

Greegs

Reaction score
Hi

Patagonia Middle Fork waders have caoutchouc socks. These waders are built for transporting in a backpack and putting them on once you arrive to the water. They are extremely packable (takes up less space than a 1.5L water bottle) and the caoutchouc socks were selected for their packability. Other advantage: it is much more resistant than neoprene and if you ever have a leak it is much easier to repair!
I’ve just looked at them.
They look great, especially walking into hill lochs etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Greegs

Reaction score
Cheers mate, you ll be amazed at how small they pack and weight!
What’s the socks like & do you use your normal size of wading boots with a thicker sock?

Pati

Reaction score
What’s the socks like & do you use your normal size of wading boots with a thicker sock?

I use a pair of Patagonia Yulex wading socks INSIDE the wader to provide isolation. Of very cold water I use thick mérinos plus the yulex socks inside the wader. (not sure if that could be a solution for your friend but yulex is an environment friendly alternative to neoprene - check it out on Patagonia website. I think all Patagonia waders except middle fork that has rubber socks are fitted with yulex socks rather than neoprene which would give your friend more choices - but to be confirmed with Patagonia).

T7

Reaction score
The last thing I would do is cut the neoprene socks off and glue wellies on the end! Surely there’s enough boot foot waders about? They’re usually discounted as well

Rennie

Reaction score
Flog the waders, get something for them while you can, after butchering they'll be worth nowt!.
Then go out and by something better suited and do the job dead reet and pay the difference !.
£ to 2d the join will leak or be so intrusive it'll drive you to distraction any way.
Pedro.

Sewinboy

Reaction score
I'm also allergic to neoprene. It gives off nasty chemicals when wet, triggered by perspiration. I took a break from wearing neoprene waders, then when started wearing them again, washed the inside of my waders after every period of use. The reaction has now been eliminated.

Kype King

Reaction score
The last thing I would do is cut the neoprene socks off and glue wellies on the end! Surely there’s enough boot foot waders about? They’re usually discounted as well
Nearly all of them have neoprene lining in the boots!

Kype King

Reaction score
Flog the waders, get something for them while you can, after butchering they'll be worth nowt!.
Then go out and by something better suited and do the job dead reet and pay the difference !.
£ to 2d the join will leak or be so intrusive it'll drive you to distraction any way.
Pedro.
:):):)

Kype King

Reaction score
I use a pair of Patagonia Yulex wading socks INSIDE the wader to provide isolation. Of very cold water I use thick mérinos plus the yulex socks inside the wader. (not sure if that could be a solution for your friend but yulex is an environment friendly alternative to neoprene - check it out on Patagonia website. I think all Patagonia waders except middle fork that has rubber socks are fitted with yulex socks rather than neoprene which would give your friend more choices - but to be confirmed with Patagonia).
Thanks!