Contrived Single Spey Cast

offshore

Reaction score
I am trying to locate a video of the technique for a contrived single spey - in which the line is thrown outwards to the far bank just prior to forming the anchor.

Cant seem to google anything at the moment - any suggestions?

Thanks

offshore

Reaction score
I am wondering if the cast I saw is better known as the Hugh Falkus contrived loop cast?

The rod is drawn in to the near bank to start, thrown outwards to the far bank and then drwan upwards to the key position - as opposed to a single sweep from downstream to key position in the standard single spey.

D

Deleted member 945

Falkus’s technique was similar to how you describe but my own reading of it was the intention was to line up the d loop with the target when using long bellied lines. If you are trying to keep clear of own bank obstructions there may be better casts to use with short heads etc. Maybe a snap T or perrypoke would help (if that is indeed what you are trying to achieve).

FWIW a Perrypoke followed by a roll cast works pretty well do me in such circumstances

D

Deleted member 945

If you google mike daunt you’ll get some videos of the Falkus’s style. I think the Falkus’s casting video is on YouTube or at least was

offshore

Reaction score
Falkus’s technique was similar to how you describe but my own reading of it was the intention was to line up the d loop with the target when using long bellied lines. If you are trying to keep clear of own bank obstructions there may be better casts to use with short heads etc. Maybe a snap T or perrypoke would help (if that is indeed what you are trying to achieve).

FWIW a Perrypoke followed by a roll cast works pretty well do me in such circumstances

I watched a casting demonstrator at the BFFI (Phil Ratcliffe) using it yesterday at the BFFI.

He said it was a method less prone to errors, compared to the standard single spey - over rotating, skipped anchors etc.

I always struggle to get consistency with my casting, so I was interested in what he said. I suppose it would also help with a tight bank, but that wasnt the primary reason given to use it.

Thanks for the Mike Daunt link given below, will google it.

Nb. In reality not much chance of my casting being that great, considering the few days I have fished during the past few seasons.

Night Hawk

Reaction score
I am trying to locate a video of the technique for a contrived single spey - in which the line is thrown outwards to the far bank just prior to forming the anchor.

Thanks

Could this be the cast you're referring to? In the video (towards the end 10m-50s) Andrew Toft demonstrates the alternative to the single spey when an acute change of direction is required. Hope this helps.
Regards
NH
The Single Spey Cast with Andrew Toft - Mastering Spey Casting - YouTube

offshore

Reaction score
Could this be the cast you're referring to? In the video (towards the end 10m-50s) Andrew Toft demonstrates the alternative to the single spey when an acute change of direction is required. Hope this helps.
Regards
NH
The Single Spey Cast with Andrew Toft - Mastering Spey Casting - YouTube

Thanks NH, I think you are spot on - I couldn't find anything myself.

The only difference is that the demonstrator I saw used it to gain more consistency over the standard single spey , as opposed to Mr Toft using it to achieve a greater (degree of ) upstream cast. It could help me in both regards.

A good tip in the video about lifting the rod higher to cast further upstream - I have been trying to achieve the impossible, using the same height of sweep to cast to different positions (if that makes sense).

Thanks again for link.

NB. Great place to practice casting - stunning scenery.

minitube

Reaction score

Thanks

Spey TV Episode 9: Single Spey With Simon Gawesworth - YouTube

Just wondering if the 'crude' Spey at the start is what you mean? Leading onto an 'in swing' single which he refers to as a Ghillie Spey.

offshore

Reaction score
Spey TV Episode 9: Single Spey With Simon Gawesworth - YouTube

Just wondering if the 'crude' Spey at the start is what you mean? Leading onto an 'in swing' single which he refers to as a Ghillie Spey.

Thanks for posting this Minitube. A good guess , but not quite what I saw demonstrated.

At the start of the video the line first swings inwards in what is described as the Ghillie style (the same), but then Simon throws the line directly upstream.

In the demonstrationI saw, the line was first swung inwards to the near bank, and then swept directly outwards across in the diection of the far bank, going slightly upstream as the shoulders continue to rotate. The rod is then lifted upwards onto the key position, as normal.

The purpose of this modified cast was described as avoiding over rotation and the difficulty of consistently placing the anchor every cast.

Nb. In the latest clips of Simon Gawesworth I have watched, he looks like somebody slightly world weary and tired; perhaps he has demonstrated so many casts, he is losing his mojo ? Understandable.