Connecting Compline to Shooting Head

Karl-K

Reaction score
I was at a Guideline Demo day the other week organised by John Norris, all the double handers were set up with compline and much to my surprise I liked it - a lot!
But what’s the best way of connecting it to the shooting head?
I think the guideline guys had knotted it somehow, the only thing I can find on the internet showed a loop with a double surgeons knot?
What’s the best way?

azmoghal

Reaction score
My first thought was that they set it up with a knot because it was for demo purpose and not fishing.My preference would be the surgeons knot loop for practical use, as you mentioned.
( I realise that's not answering your question, strictly speaking :)

AM

Karl-K

Reaction score
My first thought was that they set it up with a knot because it was for demo purpose and not fishing.My preference would be the surgeons knot loop for practical use, as you mentioned.
( I realise that's not answering your question, strictly speaking :)

AM

I was thinking similar about the loop to loop for practicality
I use the perfection loop on everything else, but the bits I could find on USA sites were saying the perfection loop was a bit bulky, but was also weaker??

bankwheel

Reaction score
Perfection loop is a great knot for shooting line but as the man says, don't use it on nylon leaders as it will cut through

porteouz

Reaction score
Its fine on Nylon, its only thin nylon and fluorocarbon it struggles. Your usual 8lb + maxima will be fine

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Last edited:

paddymc

Reaction score
I was at a Guideline Demo day the other week organised by John Norris, all the double handers were set up with compline and much to my surprise I liked it - a lot!
I think the guideline guys had knotted it somehow, the only thing I can find on the internet showed a loop with a double surgeons knot?
What’s the best way?

For me, this is the way to go......

7A1BD0B4-4F42-46C9-B951-C47CEFFD7C06.jpeg

It is just tied to the rear of the head each time and cut off if you want to change the head. No nonsensical need to feed the loops in and out through each other each time you want to put a head on or take it back off again. That does my head in.

porteouz

Reaction score
For me, this is the way to go......

View attachment 29671

It is just tied to the rear of the head each time and cut off if you want to change the head. No nonsensical need to feed the loops in and out through each other each time you want to put a head on or take it back off again. That does my head in.
I agree, I've always favoured the surgeons loop and it's all I use now. I dont even double it, just once through.

paddymc

Reaction score
I agree, I've always favoured the surgeons loop and it's all I use now. I dont even double it, just once through.

Hi porteouz, that is a non slip mono loop. I find it to be less bulky than the surgeons loop and the tag at 90 degrees seems to help the whole thing glide in and out of the guides nicely.

porteouz

Reaction score
Hi porteouz, that is a non slip mono loop. I find it to be less bulky than the surgeons loop and the tag at 90 degrees seems to help the whole thing glide in and out of the guides nicely.
Yep agree. I also use it on the end of my polys and on the leader. I like to keep things simple

paddymc

Reaction score
What’s the best way?

Was it the newer compline 2 that you were using? Was it quite stiff and hard, what breaking strain or colour was it ?

Sorry about about all the questions, it’s just that I found the original to be very stiff and hard.

wetwader

Reaction score
Perfection loop all time on Mono runningline and thick butt of leaders. But not on thin tippets.
It’s the best knot for thicker material, to slip through the rings.
I never had problems in durability. The loops done big enough for easy change of heads. I am not renewing the knot throughout the whole season.
Even when I caught “big stones” and had to go to maximum pressure (rod down, running line turned around the arm, steps back...painful you know...) I never lost a head.

I am also interested to know if there is a big difference between the old and new Compline. The old one was Ken Sawada Flat Beam. It’s no longer produced.
I have big hope, the guys at GL know what is needed for the best Mono runningline, because they got it for many years.
I am more in fear, the new one could be to soft and stretchy.. as all the other ones...?

Rennie

Reaction score
There's a balance in running/shooting line, you want it stiff and hard.That will help it's shootability and help reduce tangles, being limp and soft will see it all in a useless knot before you get to the bottom of some pools/streams.However too hard/stiff will work against you and make the line harder to use.Thankfully there aren't too many lines that are too hard n stiff.
I've used shooting heads for a long long time(as have a few others on here too) and there's loads of ways of setting such systems up.
At one point I went the way of dedicated spools and lines, the running line joined via a needle knot up the inside of the fly line onto the line itself and sealed off with a quality water proof rule such as Zap a Gap.This is by far the best method as its reliable very very smooth through the rod rings and long lasting.However its expensive and at times not vey practical for changing line density's.
Most of my 'GENERAL' fishing is done with coated pre looped floating running lines, however I've several lines that I use with mono running line and they'll all be used with a similar method to those described.I allways use the slightest drop of Zap a Gap on the knot itself and as you have probably noticed on the photo's, leave the tag end long-a good 2"- this will mean the knot runs through the rod rings as smooth as you can get.The neatness obsessed amongst you will think why leave the tag end long.Well trimming it off reduces the efficiency of the knot-even glued- which could get expensive(new head time or even lost fish with line time!) but worst of all that knot will catch,stick and generally jam up in every rod ring when you wind in, worse still with a fish on!.I know it looks amateur, but its the best option,I've tried a few too!.
My current favourite mono for shooting line is Amnesia in 40lb.
Shoot away dude,Pedro.

Jimmcl

Reaction score
Perfection Loop

I Use 42Lbs yellow compline for my shooting heads & make a perfection loop in it, then coat it with a thin film of aqua sure that takes away the sharp edges in the know and ensures that it goes down the rings without snagging. I love the compline, the hardness minimised friction, and its really tangle free when shooting long lines.

rotenone

Reaction score
I use a the same knot or rapala knot but prefer to have it to make a large loop. Its way stronger than the perfection loop imo experimce it's also fool proof.

squimp

Reaction score
As a saltwater fly angler and self confessed knot geek; I would recommend a non-slip mono loop. It is small, pretty easy to tie and the most efficient (as in retained breaking strain) loop knot.

The Perfection loop is not an efficient knot - but fine to use with heavier breaking strain lines ( I use it in 50lb plus).

Other options would be either a surgeons loop (more efficient than a perfection loop) but it tends not to sit straight, or a figure of eight loop which is similar in efficiency to a surgeons.

As an aside, it is always worth testing different knots with different monos. Furthermore, knots like the non-slip mono loop require experimentation with exactly how they are tied (as in number of turns, which way round the standing line etc etc) with different lines.

Hope this helps.

CORONA

Reaction score

@paddymac..So let me get this right - are you saying that you leave that little Tag sticking out at 90 degrees from the main line at that length ? you dont cut it off its just left there like that and NOT nipped off close to the line ?

If so what are the benefits of this ..

CORONA

paddymc

Reaction score
@paddymac..So let me get this right - are you saying that you leave that little Tag sticking out at 90 degrees from the main line at that length ? you dont cut it off its just left there like that and NOT nipped off close to the line ?

If so what are the benefits of this ..

CORONA

Yes.

Just leave it like that. It glides through the guides much more smoothly.

ballintemple

Reaction score
I'm another Compline user, usually 50lbs. Great stuff, and fewer tangling problems, for me, than coated running lines, especially if you gather in loops rather than coils. Very durable. Only problem with it, as with other mono, is in very windy places,. Then I use coated running lines.
Good knot tip from paddymc

Karl-K

Reaction score
I’ve had time to have a good play with the Compline now, abused it for a week on the Spey. I have to admit it was strange getting used to it at first, especially the red lighter one, but I have to say I am a total convert, much easier to shoot, much more yardage and even less tangles, love it!
For info there is an Ed Ward video on YouTube showing how to make a loop using a double overhand knot, but goes into depth on how you pull the knot really, really tight which reduces the size of the knot, you definitely need gloves as he advises or skin/hands like steel!