Congrats Michael

minitube

Reaction score
Young Michael O'Kane of Draperstown (a.k.a. Kane) on this forum once again managed to show his world class level at Spey casting competition. Michael was fifth in the World Championshipships last weekend in England in the main 15'1" event. Just to qualify for the final is an achievement in itself in that level of competition. Gerard Downey did not attend the event unfortunately.

Michael also did well in the 18 ft Spey and the Overhead salmon competitions scoring top from among Irish and U.K. competitors I believe. I haven't all the details yet but he did extremely well to be placed in the 15 ft final, producing one right side Spey cast of 59 metres in qualifying.

Well done to Martin Kiely who threw a 60.5 metre cast in the overhead competition, and to the Irish lads who participated in the event all supporting each other. Martin lending Michael the proper gear for the overhead competition. That's real sportsmanship for you.

I remember Derek Doyle who was also in England doing the same thing for me in the Enright overhead in Limerick one year. The Irish will look out for each other even at a potential personal cost or risk of a personal placing, so that the team as a whole does well. Between that and real time support at the event its always a joint effort.

Last edited:

minitube

Reaction score
Hopefully see you in Limerick at the Spey competition Robert ?

Yes Dara, I'll be there God willing. Will be good to meet up. Its a great event as its a truly superb venue for a competition. It would be hard to find a better suited place anywhere as a Spey competition venue. I love the running water aspect of it, and the depth. Makes it more like the real thing, and for me that's why its such a great event to participate in.

Last edited: