Complete beginner to worm fishing

rob1976

Reaction score
Hi folks, looking for some info on how to fish using the worm. My main question is what do I need to fish the worm, I.e hooks weight line. And how to set the rig up. Thanks rob

ddave07

Reaction score
It firstly depends on the river you fish. Some allow float fishing, others don't. You can freeline, fly fish, bounce a betty, there are lots of different ways to fish the worm.

The river I fish, is a small Spate River, where float fishing is banned. This is the only place where I have worm fished, so here's how I fish them on my local river. I've only fished with worms on my river over the last 4 or 5 years; there are far more experienced fishermen on here who'll help out more than I can.

I use whats called a bouncing betty (theres some good threads on here as to what that is or a quick google will help, its a way of fishing where you can very quickly change the weight you are using to suit faster or slower parts of the water) and i have the betty free running on my mainline (usually 10-12lb) then I have a Ball bearing swivel with a 2' long hook link (usually 8-10lb of fluorocarbon). If its low water, I tend to use a single Dendrobaena on a Size 8 or 10 circle hook, a lobworm or 2 I'd fish on a size 4 circle hook. I've found circle hooks to be great for ensuring a fish is lip hooked.

A bouncing betty shouldn't be fixed on the bottom of the river, but it should, when you cast it out move along the bottom at a slow walking pace. If it's holding on the bottom lighten the weight (maybe even move onto some split shots) if its coming round too quickly put a heavier weight on it.

The way I fish it is cast across the river, bale arm down and sort of fish it like a fly keeping in touch with the line at all times. Feeling for taps, rattles, the line suddenly not moving etc...

It can take a little time to learn it (well it certainly took me a little while) but it can be very productive. My PB salmon at 20lb 2oz came on this method with a single small worm on a size 8 hook.

DD :)

Rrrr

Reaction score
Ok, so how i fish the worm.... size 6 kamasan hook, 4foot of mono to that, then a swivel. From the top eye of the swivel i tie a weak link of 6lb mono about 6 inches long. To that ill either add a few split shot, a drilled bullet or bounceing betty/jumping jack but that all depends on the river bed and depth.
I cast across and slightly downstream and keep my finger on the line to feel for nibbles with the bail arm off. What im aiming to do is bounce the weigh in an arc downstream and search out the pool/features while keeping tension on the line, when it gets downstream of me into the bank ill give it 30 seconds or so incase a fish is eyeing it up and then recast.
As its coming around, if you feel a nibble let the fish take it for a second or 2 then bail arm on and lift into it. Also watch the line where it enters the water as if it stops it could be that a fish has picked it up and is just stitting with it. Try not to let the fish have the worm for too long or itl swallow it and end up gut hooked.

Im sure others will have their way of doing it aswel and its just a case of what works for you.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

rob1976

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply guys, I fish on a small spate river. I will look into these methods and hopefully have some joy

ddave07

Reaction score
Ok, so how i fish the worm.... size 6 kamasan hook, 4foot of mono to that, then a swivel. From the top eye of the swivel i tie a weak link of 6lb mono about 6 inches long. To that ill either add a few split shot, a drilled bullet or bounceing betty/jumping jack but that all depends on the river bed and depth.
I cast across and slightly downstream and keep my finger on the line to feel for nibbles with the bail arm off. What im aiming to do is bounce the weigh in an arc downstream and search out the pool/features while keeping tension on the line, when it gets downstream of me into the bank ill give it 30 seconds or so incase a fish is eyeing it up and then recast.
As its coming around, if you feel a nibble let the fish take it for a second or 2 then bail arm on and lift into it. Also watch the line where it enters the water as if it stops it could be that a fish has picked it up and is just stitting with it. Try not to let the fish have the worm for too long or itl swallow it and end up gut hooked.

Im sure others will have their way of doing it aswel and its just a case of what works for you.

I see you say that you keep the bail arm off, is that so it can keep working its way downstream (as if you were float fishing a river?) rather than just swinging it round? :)

Cheers

DD

Rrrr

Reaction score
I see you say that you keep the bail arm off, is that so it can keep working its way downstream (as if you were float fishing a river?) rather than just swinging it round? :)

Cheers

DD
At times but more a case of if it picks it up i can give it some slack to take the worm back to its hold rather than the line going tight. Its years since ive fished the worm now though.

ddave07

Reaction score
At times but more a case of if it picks it up i can give it some slack to take the worm back to its hold rather than the line going tight. Its years since ive fished the worm now though.

Cheers, I'll give a try this season :)