Collapsible wading Staff

Geordieboy

Reaction score
I need a collapsible wading staff for travelling abroad.
Can you recommend the best one? Strength is key obviously.
Cheers all.

Tangled

Reaction score
I've tried cheap ones - they break; the cables inside come loose and they fall apart. I left two sections of the last one in a Russian river.
I now use the SIMMS and it pretty good so far. (You need the retractor too). Orvis is supposed to be good too.
Look for a lock button to prevent it collapsing when it shouldn't.

MCXFisher

Reaction score
Unfortunately the best one is no longer available, which was the old Snowbee folding staff, made from good strong steel tubing. You might be able to find a used one somewhere and replace the internal shock cord.
Everything else now on the market is a bit too slim and flexible for my taste, although I've not put the Simms, Orvis or Vision models to sustained test. However, the good news is that in Norway the rocks tend to be more abrasive and grippy and less slippery than in UK. But be wary of the weight of water!

S.preston

Reaction score
I've the new snowbee telescopic staff and no issues with the sturdiness of the staff itself but the pouch or holster fell apart after two months .

Gadabout

Reaction score
I’ve used the Folstaff wading staff for probably 40 years. I believe it comes in a 1/2” diameter and 3/4” diameter. Mine is the 1/2” diameter and it’s fine. Remember, it’s a third leg, not your only leg.

Jimmcl

Reaction score
I've used a Simms one for years - bought before the prices became outrageous - and it's never let me down. Mine came with the retractor, and it's never collapsed on me, and it's easy to fold & carry. I do like Simms stuff other than the waders, they're in stupid league prices as the first barbed wire fence will do for them as quickly as a cheap pair. However the outrageously expensive jackets are outstanding, and the boots also.

tcorfey

Reaction score

nickolas

Reaction score
I've used a Simms one for years - bought before the prices became outrageous - and it's never let me down. Mine came with the retractor, and it's never collapsed on me, and it's easy to fold & carry. I do like Simms stuff other than the waders, they're in stupid league prices as the first barbed wire fence will do for them as quickly as a cheap pair. However the outrageously expensive jackets are outstanding, and the boots also.
Had few other makes but most failed, wife went to the local shop and asked for stick for the old man, thought heres a good sale and suggested a carbon stick on a bungee, best sale for the day and also very satisfied customer, had it for years and it’s been all over the place with me.

duncan

Reaction score
I’ve had a Simms one for years, good strong stick and holster is strong. Whatever you do don’t buy one with a shock cord, if the stick gets stuck in the rocks they can pull apart.

KChrome

Reaction score
Guideline foldable wading staff is just as good as the Simms one and considerably cheaper. I also lost a Simms one in Russia for the very reason that duncan explains.

Rrrr

Reaction score
My dad has got one from ebay with a wallnut handle and it has a screw ferrule in the middle so splits into 2 peices for transport. Think it was about 40 quid and its absoloutley solid. It would fit into a case no problems. Im guessing the guy still makes them.

I had the maxcatch folding one and it was solid but the belt holster fell to bits pretty quickly. Never had any issues but lost it a few weeks back when climbing a tree in the river (long story )

Ive got the the snowbee telescopic one aswel and its good but if layed on sand and gravel i find the twisty thing to secure it gets gritty and binds up.

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk

Rennie

Reaction score
I'm of the firm opinion foldability and strength just don't go together.
I'm a Sharpes fan, I use the std Spey wading staff- nuff said.
However I ford my club stretch of the river and had a need for a staff just to steady me that would get used twice a day, once over, once back, then it had to be unobtrusive and out of the way untill it was needed once more.
I took a punt on the GAC staff for £29 quid at the time.It serves a purpose within it's limited function.
Honesty bit now, it has a noisy metal tip on it, doubtful it'd take my full weight in an emergency, it vibrates like Joe Stink in any speed of current, tends to bend a lot more than I like too.
It does have a steel cable core and fix's at its full length securely, it sit's in a holster on my belt out of the way.I remove it shake it up to full length, wade the river, fold it down and back in its pouch.
Thats its remit and all its worth considering for.I certainly not use it in std wading situations!.
Interesting bit here, check the Simm's web site, see what it says about it's own wading staffs!, food for thought!.
Pedro.

Geordieboy

Reaction score
So then, I've plumbed for the Snowbee telescopic wading staff from Uttings. At £37.99, I've just taken receipt of it and it appears to be quite robust. I agree, that with some sand, it will cause some issues, but as this will only be used in Norway, (I've got my Heavy Spey one for everything else), I am happy to take a punt on it. It is quite strong and I have put my weight on it (which is substantial I can assure you) and it seems like it will do what it needs to! I will give my review of it once I have fallen in and hung on for dear life!!!!!!

Thanks for everybody on here for their opinions and help. Much appreciated.

Rrrr

Reaction score
So then, I've plumbed for the Snowbee telescopic wading staff from Uttings. At £37.99, I've just taken receipt of it and it appears to be quite robust. I agree, that with some sand, it will cause some issues, but as this will only be used in Norway, (I've got my Heavy Spey one for everything else), I am happy to take a punt on it. It is quite strong and I have put my weight on it (which is substantial I can assure you) and it seems like it will do what it needs to! I will give my review of it once I have fallen in and hung on for dear life!!!!!!

Thanks for everybody on here for their opinions and help. Much appreciated.
The sand and grit makes it crunchy and scratches it but its never once caused it to slip or fail so wont let you down.

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk

bluejay

Reaction score
The very best is a staff made in British Columbia by an angler who posts on SpeyPages under the name "herkileez". I have tried them all, and this is by far the best. Check the reviews on that forum.
I been using this one and like it alot. Heavy duty and easy to use. Well thought out.

sgellert

Reaction score
I just got the new Vision carbon staff, after losing my two Simms staffs, one locked up due to corrosion, the other one got lost in a guide's car.
It seems sturdy enough for my usage, I generally just need a bit of support, not expecting it to carry my full weight.