Cold smoked salmon.

goosander

Reaction score
Just wondering what weight of smoked salmon you would expect back from a sealiced cock fish 7-8 lbs total weight. I received the package from a well known smokehouse north of Perth. There were 5 ?packets of fish and a small bag of trimmings as usual. The fish in the 5 packs weighed a total of 2 1/4 lbs. plus 1/2 for the trimmings.
Interested to find out what others would expect.
Bob.

Rosslinden0

Reaction score
I normally find a prepared fish is about half the original weight, so allowing for water loss via salting that sounds about right imo

Chicharito

Reaction score
Just wondering what weight of smoked salmon you would expect back from a sealiced cock fish 7-8 lbs total weight. I received the package from a well known smokehouse north of Perth. There were 5 ?packets of fish and a small bag of trimmings as usual. The fish in the 5 packs weighed a total of 2 1/4 lbs. plus 1/2 for the trimmings.
Bob.
Was the weight before gutting and filleting?
I think the smoking process will reduce the weight by approximately 10%.
Gutting, filleting, and removing the head would probably lose you a couple of pounds.
Probably about right I would have thought.

ibm59

Reaction score
Bob.
Last fish I had smoked was a 17lb May springer , Bob.
Got around 9lbs back.

I’m lucky enough to have an excellent smoke house just a couple of miles down the road , and that proportion is pretty normal.

ArchieL

Reaction score
I used the same smoke house going by your description and last fish i put in was a 14lb summer licer and i got back just under half the weight in packs and the trimmings. Round about half is spot on. One of the tastiest treats that nature can provide and has been known to turn me into the most selfish greedy pig ever. I honestly will be trying my very best to get a summer or back end fish this year for the smoke house.

Reaction score
Goosander. It does sound a wee bit short to me, half a pound or so. But, I think the 'half back' ratio worsens with 'smaller' fish. Perhaps proportionally there's less meat, more head, guts and bones on an 8 lber than a 16 lber?
I know one river that has an 8 lb max kill limit which is fine for a table fish but, imo, too small to make having it smoked affordable (other pocket depths may vary! ;) ). I don't wish to pry or rub salt in the gravlax, but how much was your Christmas treat per pound or Kilo?

I have to say, though, wild smoked is amongst the finest food known to Mankind. I hope that from, possibly, vice to table to tummy you've enjoyed every second's worth. :)

Loxie

Reaction score
Spring fish make by far the best smokers and you get a better yield. Even liced autumn fish are not as good and the yield is lower. I would except to get just over 50% in slices from a 10lb springer and maybe just over 40% for a good autumn fish. For liced springers a hen is better than a cock, everything else a cock is better. By choice a 10lb to 12lb May hen with long tail lice makes the best for my taste.

To an extent the yeild is determined by the cure. If you dry salt the fillets your yield will be lower but the result much better. The longer you salt them the lower the yield and the longer they keep, but I like a fairly gentle salting and happily swap shelf life for the softer texture.

In the face of the ghastly disease of CR that has spread everywhere I've not had any decent UK smoked salmon for 2 years. Had some great Norwegian stuff though. I once smoked a 9lb maiden cock sea trout caught in early June and it was probably the best Ive ever had but not the easiest raw material to source. My new household staple is rainbow from fish around 6lbs. Done well they are very good. I won't have farmed salmon in the house!

Fruinfisher

Reaction score
If it’s the same smokehouse I’m thinking of , they were always shy on the weight. The last time I went though , I took in a 14 lber ( weighed in the ghillies and my own net) - they said it was 11 lb . From an 11 lber I would expect about 6lb plus a bag of scraps. I got 5lb including the scraps. I won’t be going back. Since then I’ve spoken to a few others who’ve experienced the same. A bunch of chancers.

Loxie

Reaction score
How much do you guys pay to get a salmon smoked and vacum packed ?
I used to charge £10 plus £10/kg of sliced vac packed fish. An 8 to 10 lbr would have been £30 to £35.

goosander

Reaction score
The bit I can not understand is the 5 packets. If both sides were the me then I would expect either 4 or 6 packets but 5 ?? Checked all the packets and there were no 2 halves in any.
Bob.