Clonmany River

coffin dodger

Reaction score
remember fishing this wee river many years ago a lifetime ago got some nice white trout out of it:)

luney

Reaction score
Clonmany river

My mother is from Clonmany and i have been going over there for holidays all my life. I have often wondered about this wee river if it was ever "prolific". I have fished it just once down in Binnion when i was younger. I would stand on the bridge going out of "the Cross" for ages looking to see anything move. The river has been closed for a good while now, i used to ask a few locals about the fishing and was told it was netted regularly wasn't quite what i had in mind:D.
I would love to hear any stories from the past of good catches and big fish if they are there to be told. More recently i have fished the Crana, but not for a good few years now. I remember as a child whilest staying with my aunt and uncle in Buncrana going down to Swan Park to watch the "boys" fishing for salmon and white trout when there was a flood. Which was pretty regular when we were on holiday:rolleyes:. By the way was glad to see anglers on the Crana being proactive, have visited the web site love looking at the old pictures of fish and their captors. Its a crackin wee river and i wish you all every success with the projects you are running,will have to have a throw on it again soon.

ATB Luney

buncranabop

Reaction score
Yes, this will be the biggest efforts put into the crana in many many years so we are hoping to start to see results in the next 2 to 3 years. Such a nice river deserves the help its now getting and all being well I hope it will continuously be maintained for generations to come. I have heard fish stories from the clonmany river often but unfortunately they always came from the wrong type of fishermen:(:(

Brackwansha

Reaction score
The clonmany river was a great wee river. Used to fish it regular for trout. Early morning a day or two after bit of water in the tidal was great for the fly. We had some great sea trout as young lads but had to shift many a time when the fellas arrived with the nets. A crew would net the tidal as others did further upstream. It used to get a fair run of salmon and even an odd one about in April.

otter board

Reaction score
Have caught seatrout and salmon on the clonmany river, also caught white trout in lough Fad believe it or not and have photos and video to prove it!
I also see some idiot has left the spawnig stream between the lakes like a canal using a digger , well done lads!

luney

Reaction score
Been a while since anyone posted on this thread. Do the boys who fish the Crana have any news.
Although the pandemic was in full flow, did anyone get a chance to fish last season on the Crana. Would be nice to hear any news.
Regards Paul

Petekd

Reaction score
Crana had its best season in a while last season Paul. I was lucky enough to grow up on the banks of that river and we still have a bit of ground on it yet. Left the area back in 99 and don’t get back as often as I’d like but it was and still is I’m sure a magical little river. Buncrana anglers have a Facebook page that’s quite active, you’ll keep track of things on there.

luney

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply Petekd,
I'm hoping to get over there this year if things get sorted with the covid.