Climate change

westie4566

Reaction score
For anyone who missed this on the news
'Apparently' Climate Change was to be the new fear story, post Covid.

Thus reported by scientists who don't take Government coin a good while back. They predicted this MSM plan about a year ago....so seems interesting as the 'new' agenda is happening as predicted.

Don't shoot the messenger, just find the whole scenario interesting.

I will be following this with much intent. Will be interesting to see how the MSM stray away from Covid onto Climate Change.(y)

Rosslinden0

Reaction score
There was a page on the bbc were you put in your post code and it tells you what the possible summer and winter temps/rainfall will be in the future, the temps didn't change much but it did say we would get lots more rain in the summer so ive been burning car tyres for the last week helping to speed up this climate change thing

Andrew B

Reaction score
'Apparently' Climate Change was to be the new fear story, post Covid.

Thus reported by scientists who don't take Government coin a good while back. They predicted this MSM plan about a year ago....so seems interesting as the 'new' agenda is happening as predicted.

Don't shoot the messenger, just find the whole scenario interesting.

I will be following this with much intent. Will be interesting to see how the MSM stray away from Covid onto Climate Change.(y)
Wouldn’t dream of shooting the messenger. Myself speaking it’s not that I don’t think either strories are untrustworthy, merely that both are heavily politicised and imo neither should be?

SOS

Reaction score
Although I am not convinced that climate change is all down to human activity and it could be used as a way to tax us even more, there is no denying that loss of habitat has affected many many species and the clever conservationists have or are trying to link the loss of habitat which is mostly down to humans with climate change because much more people will be more concerned about climate change than the plight of Salmon on the river Dee.
If anyone watched David Attenburgh's program Earthshot or there was another documentary the other day about keystone species most of the declines in the animals, birds, fish and plants that were featured was down to humans but climate change was mentioned frequently as a side to make us sit up and take notice of not just what is around us but what is happening globally.
There were a few BUTS in that news item on the Dee but guess what river will be first to get more grants for improving habitat, so we cannot knock them for taking the initiative by doing the news item.

peterchilton

Reaction score
Although I am not convinced that climate change is all down to human activity and it could be used as a way to tax us even more, there is no denying that loss of habitat has affected many many species and the clever conservationists have or are trying to link the loss of habitat which is mostly down to humans with climate change because much more people will be more concerned about climate change than the plight of Salmon on the river Dee.
If anyone watched David Attenburgh's program Earthshot or there was another documentary the other day about keystone species most of the declines in the animals, birds, fish and plants that were featured was down to humans but climate change was mentioned frequently as a side to make us sit up and take notice of not just what is around us but what is happening globally.
There were a few BUTS in that news item on the Dee but guess what river will be first to get more grants for improving habitat, so we cannot knock them for taking the initiative by doing the news item.
excellent

Woodsy

Reaction score
I see a pattern with covid sceptics and climate change sceptics. In my eyes it's down to pure selfishness or gullibility to conspiracy nonsense and people not willing to take responsibility for their own actions. I trust peer reviewed science and not the daily mail 🤦‍♂️

Anywho... Relating this to salmon fishing

There was a fantastic film produced in partnership with one Ireland's leading scientists on salmon ecology. We know the impacts of lice and illegal fishing etc etc but I had never really noticed the impact TODAY that climate change is having for salmon at sea. I can't remember the full message but it was saying that the plankton (and therefore the organisms to feed on them) was moving further north earlier in the year which resulted in migrating smolts having to exceed more energy to catch up to decent feeding opportunities which can result in fatalities. It also makes me think about the half starved grilse we see turn up every year

I think it was called Salmon Lost at Sea...or similar... fantastic watch but also a little depressing

westie4566

Reaction score
I see a pattern with covid sceptics and climate change sceptics. In my eyes it's down to pure selfishness or gullibility to conspiracy nonsense and people not willing to take responsibility for their own actions. I trust peer reviewed science and not the daily mail 🤦‍♂️

There was a fantastic film produced in partnership with one Ireland's leading scientists on salmon ecology. We know the impacts of lice and illegal fishing etc etc but I had never really noticed the impact TODAY that climate change is having for salmon at sea. I can't remember the full message but it was saying that the plankton (and therefore the organisms to feed on them) was moving further north earlier in the year which resulted in migrating smolts having to exceed more energy to catch up to decent feeding opportunities which can result in fatalities. It also makes me think about the half starved grilse we see turn up every year

I think it was called Salmon Lost at Sea...or similar... fantastic watch but also a little depressing
There are definitely different or maybe 'patchy' feeding grounds these days.

We had grilse turning up on the Don this year like rakes and others that were fat as pigs and around the 6/7lb mark. Some got all the pies clearly and others didn't.

goosander

Reaction score
In the recent past i have had very thin and good solid grilse out the same pool so can someone please explain how that happens.
It was only a few winters back when we had a bit harder winter that the scientists in the global warming were put back into there box and the ones that were saying we are going back to the ice age brought back out.
Bob.

FaughanPurple

Reaction score
There was a page on the bbc were you put in your post code and it tells you what the possible summer and winter temps/rainfall will be in the future, the temps didn't change much but it did say we would get lots more rain in the summer so ive been burning car tyres for the last week helping to speed up this climate change thing
Must be why it pours every July here 😜

Andrew B

Reaction score

You make a good point but there is a difference between asking reasonable questions and being a sceptic

whats so funny re the climate sceptics is, its as if the very notion has only just come out?
I’ll never forget going back 21yrs, going up Aberdeen to see my late sisters new baby girl and when my dad had no sign of Alzheimer’s and being baited by his son in law, who back then was having none of it.
I guess this was before it was widely accepted but still my dad got into a horrible argument about climate change.

What I would say as someone who often got roped into those ridiculous rabbit hole conspiracy theories is that, there’s a difference between outright sceptics and folk who have legitimate questions to debate and it seems like we’re now living in an age where the two get roped together and that to debate is now frowned upon?
I’ve not seen the program you’re on about re climate change effecting smolts at sea but I’ve heard about it and there’s no doubt in my mind after now seeing very thin sea trout, that the climate has had a massive impact from the bottom of the chain ie plankton/baitfish and it’s actually a visible thing just round our coast imo?

westie4566

Reaction score
You make a good point but there is a difference between asking reasonable questions and being a sceptic

whats so funny re the climate sceptics is, its as if the very notion has only just come out?
I’ll never forget going back 21yrs, going up Aberdeen to see my late sisters new baby girl and when my dad had no sign of Alzheimer’s and being baited by his son in law, who back then was having none of it.
I guess this was before it was widely accepted but still my dad got into a horrible argument about climate change.

What I would say as someone who often got roped into those ridiculous rabbit hole conspiracy theories is that, there’s a difference between outright sceptics and folk who have legitimate questions to debate and it seems like we’re now living in an age where the two get roped together and that to debate is now frowned upon?
I’ve not seen the program you’re on about re climate change effecting smolts at sea but I’ve heard about it and there’s no doubt in my mind after now seeing very thin sea trout, that the climate has had a massive impact from the bottom of the chain ie plankton/baitfish and it’s actually a visible thing just round our coast imo?
Yeah, Woodsy forgot the 'don't shoot the messenger' bit in my post,lol. Iirc, it was leaked documentation from CNN and other msm outlets planning to push the whole CC thing starting about now. I found it interesting at the time and interesting that it appears to be coming to pass. That's it, just interesting.

You forgot to mention the Dane's hoovering up sandeels ( a major food source for our seatrout) and a handy source of food for our smolts as they head to the feeding grounds. further afield krill being hoovered up to make oil from the south Atlantic. I know that doesn't impact our fish but will be impacting the food chain in that region.

Both nowt to do with climate change and everything to do with man's greed and short sightedness.

The climate has always changed and will continue to change long after we are a mere, very. distant memory. Again the trouble is that it has been changed into a political animal and has already been used to tax us.

Where making money out of something that should be apolitical is involved my eyebrows always rise up a bit.

Andrew B

Reaction score
Yeah, Woodsy forgot the 'don't shoot the messenger' bit in my post,lol. Iirc, it was leaked documentation from CNN and other msm outlets planning to push the whole CC thing starting about now. I found it interesting at the time and interesting that it appears to be coming to pass. That's it, just interesting.

You forgot to mention the Dane's hoovering up sandeels ( a major food source for our seatrout) and a handy source of food for our smolts as they head to the feeding grounds. further afield krill being hoovered up to make oil from the south Atlantic. I know that doesn't impact our fish but will be impacting the food chain in that region.

Both nowt to do with climate change and everything to do with man's greed and short sightedness.

The climate has always changed and will continue to change long after we are a mere, very. distant memory. Again the trouble is that it has been changed into a political animal and has already been used to tax us.

Where making money out of something that should be apolitical is involved my eyebrows always rise up a bit.
Lol I couldn’t agree more. Not having a go at Woodsy here but I do think many of us can be guilty of only reading what we want to read or maybe coming to a conclusion without taking in what we’ve just read if that makes sense?
Happened to me last week in a post about folk getting paid 30 bats and hour to pick Broccoli in Lincolnshire and how like yourself I made it clear that some of the reasons given for this, were not from me as it were?
Within minutes I got a reply with likes on, telling me what my opinion was about it 😂😂
I’m sure there was nothing behind it as the minute I pointed out to re read it, the whole thing was over.
I just think forums are funny places and I can totally understand why the Mods cut the Covid thread as ultimately the forum lost members over it.

What I will say though esp re the CNNs and the BBCs ect is how these places start from a place, which I can usually tell is BS and within weeks, their “truth” just gets swept under the carpet to the point where over a year n half later, they themselves are now trying to tell us the public, how badly things were dealt with???
Is it any wonder then how we end with so much division and imo so much confusion from folk?

At the risk of upsetting others inc my family I now take the stance of just keeping my head down and at the risk of getting upset myself I tend to stay clear of the news as I find it just ends up doing my own head in lol.

westie4566

Reaction score
Lol I couldn’t agree more. Not having a go at Woodsy here but I do think many of us can be guilty of only reading what we want to read or maybe coming to a conclusion without taking in what we’ve just read if that makes sense?
Happened to me last week in a post about folk getting paid 30 bats and hour to pick Broccoli in Lincolnshire and how like yourself I made it clear that some of the reasons given for this, were not from me as it were?
Within minutes I got a reply with likes on, telling me what my opinion was about it 😂😂
I’m sure there was nothing behind it as the minute I pointed out to re read it, the whole thing was over.
I just think forums are funny places and I can totally understand why the Mods cut the Covid thread as ultimately the forum lost members over it.

What I will say though esp re the CNNs and the BBCs ect is how these places start from a place, which I can usually tell is BS and within weeks, their “truth” just gets swept under the carpet to the point where over a year n half later, they themselves are now trying to tell us the public, how badly things were dealt with???
Is it any wonder then how we end with so much division and imo so much confusion from folk?

At the risk of upsetting others inc my family I now take the stance of just keeping my head down and at the risk of getting upset myself I tend to stay clear of the news as I find it just ends up doing my own head in lol.
Which reminds me, I'm not having a go at you either Woodsy (y) :)

Jockiescott

Reaction score
One of the finest quotes I've read in recent times.

"... Any reality you want to believe will be there, somewhere, on the Internet for you to find it. Just because you saw a YouTube documentary or read a blog post that says something, it doesn't necessarily make it true...".

I think the biggest conspiracy theory in many folks heads is that there's a lot of people who actually watch the news. For the vast majority, the news is just the programme that fills the slot between the chase and emmerdale. If you flick over to hollyoaks, you'll miss half the news but then the Simpson's is on so yeaaaa! Emmerdales on then and there was no boring news.

The vast majority don't care! About anything! Ever!

Bigroger

Reaction score
Not really relevant to climate change, I don't think, but I'll gladly stand corrected, but what's the views on the point that the Tweed was primarily a spring river, with regards to catches, especially in the 50's and 60's as it is today. Spring fishing is documented as being tremendous then. Over a period of years, the autumn took over. Big silver liced October and November fish filling the river. Now, Jesus! You can access beats you could only dream of, 15yrs ago! Why?... Where's the "true" autumn runners?... Or is the Tweed slowly reverting back to spring numbers?.Did the Tweed even have "true" autumn runners?. You could easily include many Scottish rivers, I'm only using Tweed as an example. Warmer seasons, later seasons, October now feels like August!!!!!!

westie4566

Reaction score
Not really relevant to climate change, I don't think, but I'll gladly stand corrected, but what's the views on the point that the Tweed was primarily a spring river, with regards to catches, especially in the 50's and 60's as it is today. Spring fishing is documented as being tremendous then. Over a period of years, the autumn took over. Big silver liced October and November fish filling the river. Now, Jesus! You can access beats you could only dream of, 15yrs ago! Why?... Where's the "true" autumn runners?... Or is the Tweed slowly reverting back to spring numbers?.Did the Tweed even have "true" autumn runners?. You could easily include many Scottish rivers, I'm only using Tweed as an example. Warmer seasons, later seasons, October now feels like August!!!!!!
There's loads of interesting stuff out there re the Tweed's variable run timings going back to the turn o the last century. Even the Dee used to be considered as 'finished' by the end of June.

The conundrum to me is, were the late, late big silver fish true autumn fish or early run springers? Think the Osenka's of Northern Russia,

Run timings have always been very fluid, changing over the decades. The real issue just now is we don'[t seem to have a dominant run of anything. A smattering of s[ring fish and a bit of a grilse run during the summer.

Who knows where things are going at present....wish I did!

westie4566

Reaction score

"... Any reality you want to believe will be there, somewhere, on the Internet for you to find it. Just because you saw a YouTube documentary or read a blog post that says something, it doesn't necessarily make it true...".

I think the biggest conspiracy theory in many folks heads is that there's a lot of people who actually watch the news. For the vast majority, the news is just the programme that fills the slot between the chase and emmerdale. If you flick over to hollyoaks, you'll miss half the news but then the Simpson's is on so yeaaaa! Emmerdales on then and there was no boring news.

No idea why this is double quoted Richard!!

Like you I try and avoid the news....one only has to look at the entirely manufactured story of fuel shortages a few weeks back to see the hysteria the 'news' can cause. Total muppets the lot of them, those that peddle the story and those who believe it.

There was no difference between the amount of fuel available and drivers to deliver it from the week before. Look at the chaos that wee story the news peddled caused.

westie4566

Reaction score
@westie4566 and @Andrew B It's a discussion forum lads and we are discussing 👍
Good to hear Woodsy.

I'm no 'conspiracy theorist', however I was brought up to question things, so I do.

I find things interesting and often ask myself 'why?'.

The one thing I do know, as soon as money and power are involved, the truth generally goes to the dogs in society these days.

To put that into a fishing context, one only has to look at the debacle over fish farming in the UK. The dirty truth hidden by the firms, the Govt. and those peddling the fish. M&S and their fictitious 'Lochmiur' brand. See, money, and power to propagate lies.

The climate is going through change. Whether that's anthropogenic or just mother earth doing here own thing remains, in my mind, to be seen. Certainly there is human impact in a vastly overloaded planet. Lockdown one showed that to an extent (and also nicely disproved the theory that cows farting were the cause of holes in the ozone layer :ROFLMAO: )

I grew up in a time when the BIG scare story was that we were heading into a new Ice Age. That was back in the '70's. There is also growing evidence that the North Atlantic is actually cooling again (should be great for us salmon fishers). However, that doesn't suit many agendas so will be shuffled to one side.

The likes of Greetin' Thunderburgfart have a LOT to answer for.

Last edited:

Jockiescott

Reaction score
A nice wee story that ties in with climate change, fuel economy and conspiracy theories. Based on fact. 😉

My dad told me about an old man who lived locally here. A great introvert and eccentric who was laughed at and ridiculed for the way he spoke and behaved. He was extremely intelligent and was a great thinker and he invented a few things in his time.

My dad always told me that he had invented an engine that could run on water but had been 'silenced' by the government.

That wasn't strictly true but he had invented an engine. I found this newspaper advert online from 1941

Screenshot_20211013_220211.jpg

The story goes that Robert was met by representatives of an American oil company who bought his idea and got him to sign, basically a gagging order, that he could never discuss it again. The idea went to America and was never seen again. Silenced by the oil companies.