Classic looking reel (for 14~15ft rod) ?

crazyryan

Reaction score
I'd admit I am quite picky on reels. :lol: Was always looking to add a classic looking spey reel to my collection, but haven't found the perfect one to do so, yet. :redface: I have done my research so I think I still know what options are available, but there could probably be some less known, smaller companies, that have "my prefect reel" which I am not aware of. :redface: Let's talk.

For such reel I'd like:
1. S-handle
2. Disc Drag
3. Out-going click
4. ~12oz empty weight. (I have a 10.6oz Abel Super 12 for my 14' rod at the moment, and found it a bit light for the 15', works, but not perfect)
5. Multiplier (option feature)

Options available:
1. Saracione Mark V 4" or 4-1/4"
2. Hardy Cascapedia 8/9 or 10/11
3. Loop Classic 811 or 1013
4. Vosseler Passion 10/12 (A company that I wasn't aware of earlier, but that modern+classic Passion reel looks great.)
5. Vision Tank ( no S-handle though)
6. Farlex (have multiplier models but no disc drag)

Of those, the Saracione is probably the most expensive (follow by Farlex). The Mark V quite ticks all the criteria but I have not been triggered enough to spend such $$ on a big reel that might get used maybe, one week per year. :lol:

Cascapedia, I just don't like that 3 circle silver logo plates on it. A plain solid black, or drilled sideplate, would be good. Anyone also feel that 3 circles design looks ugly? :tongue:

Loop Classic. The most common negative feedback I read is that they retrieve line too slowly. But for the 4" dia model (811 or 1013), isn't it similar to the others such as the Saracione and Cascapedia? The Saracione and Cascapedia seem to have even smaller arbor. But if you fill them with enough backing, aren't they retrieve about as fast (or as slow)? Why no one bashing the Saracione or Cascapedia being too slow? :confused::confused:

Vosseler Passion. This one is high on my list, and more affordable than the Saracione. It has large arbor also. Are there similar companies making such similar good offerings that I am not aware of?

And at last, multipliers. Who still make multipliers nowadays? (besides Saracione and Farlex).

Oh finally, yes finally, :lol: looking at some of the "modern spey reels" that are claimed for 14/15' 8/9/10wt rods, such as the Guideline Vosso 1113 (8.75oz / 245g) and Nautilus NV Spey 4.5" (9.1oz / 254g), don't the makers think they are too light to balance such rods? I heard the Guideline rods are light, while I haven't cast one, I have owned or cast some of the other top end spey rods which are as light and well made. I doubt such light reels could balance those rods. :confused:

Any thoughts are welcomed. :thumb:

Last edited:

happy days

Reaction score
Looks seem to be important to you, for me handsome is as handsome does, personally I think the Danielsson control is one of if not the best reel out there :)

cgaines10

Reaction score
Loop classic for me out of those options. I really like the look of the new sage spey though.

Neil W

Reaction score
I think reels are a very personal thing. I found a relatively heavy reel good for me on 14 and 15ft rods whereas friends of mine use relatively light reels.
I like the new Cascapedia reels and the 10/11 is perfect to balance a 15ft rod and even a 14ft rod and is a fraction of the cost of other similar reels. Reels below 10.5 oz (without backing) don’t give me the right balance on 14 and 15 ft rods although the amount of backing does effect the final weight as I believe 100yards of 30lb backing weighs about an oz so a reel that takes 200yds will be heavier than one taking 100 yards if their starting weight is the same.
It also depends where on the cork you hold the rod as to what weight you need.
I personally use a Hardy Cascapedia 10/11 (14oz) and a Hardy HBX 10/11 (12oz) on my 15ft rods. A Lamson ARX 4+ (11oz) Hardy HBX 10/11 or a Hardy perfect 4.25 (11 oz) on my 14ft rods and am happy with how they balance.

Last edited:

Neil W

Reaction score
The new sage Spey reel is a very nice reel. I have one in the 7,8,9 size for my 13.6ft rods as it’s just a little light for my taste on the 14ft rods although I would use it on them if needed

Loop classic for me out of those options. I really like the look of the new sage spey though.

Markymac

Reaction score
Loop classic for me definitely. Its pricey but quality made and a fantastic piece of equipment. My favourite reel.

crazyryan

Reaction score
For the Loop do they really retrieve too slow? I think people might be bashing the smaller 46 or 58 models but for the 811 and 1013, 100mm and 105mm dia respectively, they retrieve as fast/slow as other 4in classic reels (Saracione, Cascapedia) ?

And between the 811 and 1013 which would be the pick? Read from previous comments that "the 1013 is huge so if the 811 holds enough backing with the line then get the 811". Spec. wise the 1013 only larger for 5mm in dia. Is it much wider?

Thanks

carbisdale caster

Reaction score
I've no experience of any of these reels but I would say that it's worth bearing in mind that the first three on the list at least do not have an option to buy spare spools so essentially you would need to buy multiples of them if you want them set up with different lines etc :)

Zamora

Reaction score
If you really want something that is bulletproof and lasts to your grandchildren's grandchildren, get yourself a SpeyLab reel. You might have to wait a bit to get one, but people say the are worth it.

As a budget model I would recommend Vosseler Passion. It is still quite light (10/12 aluminium weighs 290g), but it costs less than 500€.

And if you got enough deep pockets, you can go to some Bogdan #0 or similar...

I personally prefer modern reels, Danielsons, Loop Opti/Evotec etc. I have sage Evoke 10 waiting to my Gaelforce Destination 14'6" 9/10 and it is a really well constructed reel with a lot of idea. Sadly it wasn't sales success so Sage dropped it. Based on that brake that Evoke has, I think a new Sage Spey might be good as well. But, if old looks are into you, just go there. Fishing is should bring pleasure to your life, and the stuff might do the same :thumb:

heather point

Reaction score
So the Vosseler Passion is budget at 500 euros.
The world has gone mad.
My Magnum 200Ds are laughing their socks off.
You could get ten of them for that!!! and they have caught a lot of 20lb plus fish for me.

Zamora

Reaction score
I agree, the prices of classical reels are gone mad. I paid my Sage Evoke 240€ from sale. I've bought my Danielssons all under 400€. But, somehow the prices of classics are higher. You can get Hardy Cascapedia at 499£, which is about 600€'s.

charlieH

Reaction score
And at last, multipliers. Who still make multipliers nowadays? (besides Saracione and Farlex).
I think Murray Stewart's reels are multipliers. I fear they may be out of your price range, but if you like the S-handle style of reel (not really my thing, but each to their own) you ought to have a look.

crazyryan

Reaction score
If you really want something that is bulletproof and lasts to your grandchildren's grandchildren, get yourself a SpeyLab reel. You might have to wait a bit to get one, but people say the are worth it.

As a budget model I would recommend Vosseler Passion. It is still quite light (10/12 aluminium weighs 290g), but it costs less than 500€.

And if you got enough deep pockets, you can go to some Bogdan #0 or similar...

I personally prefer modern reels, Danielsons, Loop Opti/Evotec etc. I have sage Evoke 10 waiting to my Gaelforce Destination 14'6" 9/10 and it is a really well constructed reel with a lot of idea. Sadly it wasn't sales success so Sage dropped it. Based on that brake that Evoke has, I think a new Sage Spey might be good as well. But, if old looks are into you, just go there. Fishing is should bring pleasure to your life, and the stuff might do the same :thumb:
Do you know the pricing of the Speylab reels?

I did actually look at them, and was interested as they made multipliers also. Emailed them asking about pricing and no reply.

I have an Evoke 8 for my Death Star TCX 7126. For modern reel the Evoke looks cool.

Just one think I didn't quite like about the half open frame design. The gap between the opening and the frame sometimes hurt my fingers.

Would be interested to know how much backing you could fit in the Evoke 10 with 9/10wt running line and head system?

I think my 8 could actually holds more than Sage claimed, not sure about the 10.

fixedspool

Reaction score
They will fish as well and last as long as anything on the list.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
very true,. Lifes too short for all this garbage. Just get on with fishing with what you have. If it's not broken why fix it!!!!

Zamora

Reaction score
Do you know the pricing of the Speylab reels?

I did actually look at them, and was interested as they made multipliers also. Emailed them asking about pricing and no reply.

I have an Evoke 8 for my Death Star TCX 7126. For modern reel the Evoke looks cool.

Just one think I didn't quite like about the half open frame design. The gap between the opening and the frame sometimes hurt my fingers.

Would be interested to know how much backing you could fit in the Evoke 10 with 9/10wt running line and head system?

I think my 8 could actually holds more than Sage claimed, not sure about the 10.
I think the SpeyLab prices are about 1000€ and up. They have so much different customization possibilities that every reel will have its own price.

To my Evoke 10 I loaded something like 160-175mm 80lb braided backing. I like to use stronger, as it is thicker and so it will last better when hitting rocks and it is also better to handle than thinner ones. I added 30m of Ultima Powerflex 60lb as a running line and it still has room for Guideline Triple-D scandi head. With thinner backing I think it will take over 200m of backing.

E: I weighed my Evoke with backing and running line. Without a shooting head it weighs 365g and when pulling the running line out it weighs 351g. 100m of 80lb backing weighs about 20g so I estimated I have about that 175m of backing there as the reel weighs 315g when empty. So, when all lines together, I’ll have around 220m line on that reel. Should be enough even with larger one.

Last edited:

Neil W

Reaction score
Its hardly garbage. If people want to use nice reels and talk about them then why not? If you don't want to then don't. its quite simple really

mc andy

Reaction score
I'd stick 3 ounces of lead on the abel and save your penny's. Times have changed for me! Simply not prepared to throw good money at more tackle especially if you already have something to do the job.

Strip all your backing off, rap lead wire round the arbor (weight out 3 ounces prior) , reapply backing. Jobs a good in:nod: I have done this with a few reels in the days I fished 15 or 16ftrs.

meyre

Reaction score
A reel safely stores the line.
Whether it is a scuffed and dinged BFR , Viscount, Marquis, Tibor, Perfect or a near pristine Bogdan 300 with spare spool . I have or have used all.
Like legal tyres they all work and mostly you pay little heed to them after a while.
I would happily sell any and use another...the only criteria being weight and capacity for a given rod/line, hence the collection which shrinks and grows .
The fish really, truly don't care. You can palm a salmon into submission. Miss Ballantine probably did!
Tho' to answer your question Crazyran, it would be the 300 Bogdan Nordic...it holds a full Spey line with enough backing, weighs 13oz, and is a 2:1 multiplier . They were made in R or L hand . Yes they are as finely tuned /turned as a Swiss watch but are Sherman tank tough. Salt-proof, so good for Tarpon as well as Grilse...not cheap but they do everything...with an S shaped handle. Good value then!

nitro2012

Reaction score
Vosseler Passion. This one is high on my list, and more affordable than the Saracione. It has large arbor also. Are there similar companies making such similar good offerings that I am not aware of?

The Vosseler passion has a silent drag thats the only downside.

crazyryan

Reaction score

The Vosseler passion has a silent drag thats the only downside.

Ah really? Never know this and never thought about asking that. :wow: How come I forgot about this. :thumb:

The Vosseler website doesn't have much info about their reels or spec. I got the spec from the ahd website.

One reason that I'd like to have another reel is that my Super 12 is the older model which doesn't have outgoing clicking. :tongue: Another new reel with music would be great. :lol:

Last edited:

rytenuff

Reaction score
A screw off butt cap which would hold a screw in selection of weights would solve the reel not heavy enough issue.
You could use a multitude of reels with a quick screw. .....and who doesn't like a quick screw?