Claret and Jay (Malone)

Grassy_Knollington

Reaction score
Thanks guys. I think this is the 1st time I've got one of these looking 1/2 decent. I found the following things useful:

1. The GP Tippets were tied back to back on the side and slightly 'roofed'. I made a couple of wraps of thread and then used the feather ends to pull the tippets into the centre of the hook. Then I kinked the ends by taking hold of the tippets close to the head and pushing forward. These measures helped ensure that the tippets stayed well formed, back to back and lay low against the hook, so the Bronze Mallard wouldn't cover them up.

2. The Bronze Mallard is tied on the softest part of the feather, so I was able to use the largest width of slips possible (for me). Once tied, I worked the slips in the same way I worked the GP tippet. This helps them sit low and not just point up at 45 degrees.

Obviously, loads of folk get this already, or don't need to do these things. However, these points may be helpful to others.

Cheers

GK

Invermarnoch

Reaction score
This is just a question - not in the slightest respect a criticism - but please may I ask why the GP wing is the proper colour but the GP tail appears faded? And may I add a further specific compliment? I thought the tag and butt were beautifully tied. And I love the overall proportion of the fly too. Not sure that if I were ever to tie such a fine specimen I would ever fish it, though. Can't have the fish ruining our handiwork, can we?:lol:

Grassy_Knollington

Reaction score
This is just a question - not in the slightest respect a criticism - but please may I ask why the GP wing is the proper colour but the GP tail appears faded? And may I add a further specific compliment? I thought the tag and butt were beautifully tied. And I love the overall proportion of the fly too. Not sure that if I were ever to tie such a fine specimen I would ever fish it, though. Can't have the fish ruining our handiwork, can we?:lol:
Many thanks SA and Invermarnoch

The difference in the GP tippets is because the underwings are tied properly with the bright top side showing. Unfortunately I twisted the tail fibres when I tied them in and the pale underside is showing. That’s the difference between me and the folk who can turn out the classic flies without an error :D

If I get the conditions, I’ll give it a fish:thumb:

Invermarnoch

Reaction score
No worries there, GK. A lot of us struggle with GP tails. I found that Davie McPhail's approach was quite helpful but I can't remember what the fly was. Never mind, I'm sure the fish don't care and you can always use a permanent orange marker to advantage! Now, you lads who want to burn me at the stake for heresy, wouldn't you be better firing up a barbecue in this glorious weather?

gwelsher

Reaction score
Get ready for a visit from the GP enforcers :peace:
I just dye a whole Tippet cape Orange saves mucking round with markers and covers a lot of sins :lol: