Clan Rods 17" #7/8

al44

Reaction score
Does anyone on here have/use one of these? If so any comments/reviews would be good to see.

They're an intriguing rod with a reverse taper in the butt section.

Marterius

Reaction score
I have been casting one of these reverse taper rods on a number of occasions, but not owned one myself. Or rather tried to cast it. :) As I am sure you know they are assumed to be the graphite equivalent of a greenheart rod - actually built to resemble a Gran Vibration if I remember correctly. I never got to agree with it myself as it was too slow for my timing, and at the time I was used to Sharpe's spliced. But my friend, who had bought it from Mr. Jamieson when we visited him in Nethybridge, took all the time he needed to find the right way of casting and was pleased with it. I would certainly not denounce it as a a "bad rod", but I think it is fair to say that it is a rod that take some determination to master even for an experienced double hand caster who is used to modern rods. But I am sure it will give a lot of reward to those who do. My friend managed to throw a very nice line with it, until it sadly ended its days in a car door in Norway. Lovely rod for playing fish, as I am sure you can imagine.

Here is an essay about long rods and casting by Harry Jamieson himself, which might be of interest if you have not seen it before:
http://color-tone2d.pp.net.ua/LoadingFiles/Thoughts_about_the_rod.pdf

Kind regards,
Martin

Night Hawk

Reaction score
I have been casting one of these reverse taper rods on a number of occasions, but not owned one myself. Or rather tried to cast it. :) As I am sure you know they are assumed to be the graphite equivalent of a greenheart rod - actually built to resemble a Gran Vibration if I remember correctly. I never got to agree with it myself as it was too slow for my timing, and at the time I was used to Sharpe's spliced. But my friend, who had bought it from Mr. Jamieson when we visited him in Nethybridge, took all the time he needed to find the right way of casting and was pleased with it. I would certainly not denounce it as a a "bad rod", but I think it is fair to say that it is a rod that take some determination to master even for an experienced double hand caster who is used to modern rods. But I am sure it will give a lot of reward to those who do. My friend managed to throw a very nice line with it, until it sadly ended its days in a car door in Norway. Lovely rod for playing fish, as I am sure you can imagine.

Here is an essay about long rods and casting by Harry Jamieson himself, which might be of interest if you have not seen it before:

Kind regards,
Martin
Vert interesting and a nice read. Thank you for posting.

al44

Reaction score

Kind regards,
Martin
Many thanks for the response. It's an interesting rod, and interesting article.

If I came across one of these I could be tempted, being just that bit different it adds to the experience.

Marterius

Reaction score
Thank you all for the kind words! :)

Many thanks for the response. It's an interesting rod, and interesting article.

If I came across one of these I could be tempted, being just that bit different it adds to the experience.
Yes, I agree. If came across one of them these days I would be very tempted to give it a serious try.

bluejay

Reaction score
I very much enjoyed reading Mr. Jamesion's thoughts on rods. Nice to hear from the "old school" thinkers. Have always had a place in the back of my mind to try one of his rods. Maybe someday I will have the opportunity.

onelastcast

Reaction score
A fellow member of a syndicate I used to be a member of had one of these and at the time I was fishing a clan 15ft 6in 10/11 4pce.On quite a few afternoons we swapped rods and fished with each others rod to try them out if I remember rightly he was using a rio longbelly #7/8 of some sort on it and it was badly matched -he later picked up a scientific anglers xlt 6/7 and it was far better for the rod and much more enjoyable.On the most productive pool if you remained on the shingle or ankle deep at most the fish where lying about 80-90 ft away in a pretty shallow pool tail so single spey casting with the 17ft rod hardly having to shoot any line was a great way of fishing.By far the most sucessfull way of casting was to anticipate the anchor landing and be slightly early with your forward cast and make a deffinate stop on the forward cast,it was supprising how little effort it took to cast across the pool ,the best way of landing fish was to walk back away from the river using the whole of the blank rather than just lifting the rod straight up and putting a lot of pressure on the tip .interesting to read Harry's article I mostly agree with what he says except we both found the 17ft rod hard going on windy days and the other member also had a 15ft rod which chose every time when the wind got up.Sadly the chap passed away and I think all his stuff went to a charity shop so the 17ft rod is probably out there somewhere as with all the clan rods they were well made,Onelastcast