Circle hooks for worms?

Fall prince

Reaction score
I’ve used these a lot for halibut fishing in Alaska. Fish can swallow right down into stomach with no additional risk at all. Hooks in the corner of the jaw every time. Thoughts ?

Bullet

Reaction score
Well, I certainly haven't found that with Bass.
I've tried them with live Prawn, which I fish under a float, and although it's fair to say they reduce deep hooking, I've had plenty of fish that have taken them right down, and that's getting onto the bite very quickly.
Can't think it would be a lot different with Salmon?

Rosslinden0

Reaction score
Well, I certainly haven't found that with Bass.
I've tried them with live Prawn, which I fish under a float, and although it's fair to say they reduce deep hooking, I've had plenty of fish that have taken them right down, and that's getting onto the bite very quickly.
Can't think it would be a lot different with Salmon?
I found the same with salmon, not a fan of them imo

Fruinfisher

Reaction score
They do work . Don’t strike though - you’ll probably end up with a deeply hooked fish . You have to let them hook themselves using only a little bit of pressure. That’s what they were designed for anyway

nickolas

Reaction score
I‘ve used them for tarpon and kings on a fly, one thing for sure they are a basket to get out. So on that Experience alone I’m not to keen on them if your returning the fish. But they do work.

salmo76

Reaction score
I believe they were once recommended on the Clyde but they had problems with deep gut hooking using circles which means almost certain death for the fish. They now say only single barbless hooks are allowed for worm fishing during their October CCR ( hen fish ) period of the season.

Saint Andrews

Reaction score
My local club trialed them a few years back, whilst most fish were hooked in the scissors some were still very deeply hooked on circles, especially in the gills which were fatal for the fish. Some thought salmon who fully swallowed the worm the hooked travel up the throat and caught in the first area it could take hold which unfortunately was the gills. I heard of a few like this. I'm split on them, whats worse a fish hooked deep played quick and line cut (if it can be easily removed with long nose forceps) and released or one certain to die in the gills? IMO the key with worm is striking fast, as soon as you feel the first pull get ready to tighten up and strike. I've had more mouth hooked that way than using circles.

Chicharito

Reaction score
I haven't tried them for freshwater fishing yet. I tried them last year when fishing for flounders last year and they worked great. All fish hooked in the mouth. No deep hooked fish at all !

sneakypeter

Reaction score
I have used circles for lots of species, both in the sea and freshwater where the main target is pike, they do the job very well, BUT, there are different types, the main difference is either an inline, or offset point. The offset version will take hold anywhere, so deep hooking is fairly common, switching to inline versions, I have not had a deep hooked fish (pike), if you debarb them, much easier to remove, and they will not fall out. I tried the offset type prawning, deep hooked my 4th fish and stopped, impossible to remove, even debarbed, the inline in theory will only catch the jaw/scissors, I am going to try them on the fly, an interesting experiment, they work on lures too!!!!!

SteveG

Reaction score
Only used them for sea fishing , Prefer semi-circle better than full circle, easier to unhook but any hook can be swallowed on the take, the key as said above is the timing of the strike 👍

Chicharito

Reaction score
Mustad Demon Circle hooks are what I used for the flounders and they worked perfectly. Going to convert my 2 mates if we get to the Outer Hebrides this year!!

SteveG

Reaction score
Mustad Demon Circle hooks are what I used for the flounders and they worked perfectly. Going to convert my 2 mates if we get to the Outer Hebrides this year!!
I have just looked them they don’t look too bad, some of them have a longer point and can be a pain to work with I use Gamakatsu for light work like flounders and small pennel top hooks, the fladdens are good enough for the big stuff, barbless guru semi circle hooks for match fishing with method feeder👍
Eagle claws are too circular 😂

Walleye

Reaction score
Another vote for circles.
Also for fishing the worm upstream from you and striking early. Used to use single size 6 or 8 before circles and rarely deep hooked.

SteveG

Reaction score
Another vote for circles.
Also for fishing the worm upstream from you and striking early. Used to use single size 6 or 8 before circles and rarely deep hooked.
Perfect for upstream given the angle of the hook to angle and fish, do you not find they can be quite hard or damaging to remove from the fish sometimes ? I’ve had them penetrate into the scissors that sold that getting them out has been tricky to say the least

Walleye

Reaction score
Perfect for upstream given the angle of the hook to angle and fish, do you not find they can be quite hard or damaging to remove from the fish sometimes ? I’ve had them penetrate into the scissors that sold that getting them out has been tricky to say the least
Do you use a disgorger?

GilbertJ

Reaction score
I’ve used these a lot for halibut fishing in Alaska. Fish can swallow right down into stomach with no additional risk at all. Hooks in the corner of the jaw every time. Thoughts ?
It's a good way to do it, lately I've been following the advice of an App I found. It has helped me a lot to improve my technique, you can find it here: WeFish
It sure has tips on that topic.