Chip cast

langavat

Reaction score
Been reading Al Burhs book he illustrates the chip cast, I cannot make head or tail of it, anyone use it?

minitube

Reaction score
Been reading Al Burhs book he illustrates the chip cast, I cannot make head or tail of it, anyone use it?

Hi langavat,

Fortunately I had the privilege to learn this cast directly from Al Buhr. The main thing about the cast is that it uses torque twist, the significance of that technique to the success of the cast is all important and may not come across so well in the book.

It is used in tight spots to still be able to cast. The anchor can be formed below the imaginary orange line and the D loop can be formed upriver parallel to the bank, the cast will still work because of torque twist in the right rotation as the forward cast is made. It helps separate the outgoing loop from the line leaving the water and keeps a space between them. Without torque twist the cast may not work due to a collision loop. It also helps rod loading despite the shorter stroke.

I have rarely ever used it other than as a torque twist exercise, my fishing situations would almost never require its use.

Last edited:

langavat

Reaction score
Chip Cast

Thanks for that Minitube, any chance of a wee video? Big ask I know.
Langavat

D

Deleted member 1812

It wont make you catch any more fish that's for certain.
What you need is a pool full of taking fish then any old cast will do...:):thumb:
Chip Cast?? Yeah,whatever!!:batty:

minitube

Reaction score
It wont make you catch any more fish that's for certain.

Not so Simon where it would be needed due to obstructions to normal casting.

You won't catch what you can't cover. Its for a very specific situation, a situation more common elsewhere. Its a very clever get out of jail technique in that instance.

Lancsflyman

Reaction score
Hi Langavat,

I haven't all the gear eeded for filming and editing. However Keith McDonnell comes down an odd time over the winter and he has, so I'll see what happens.

It's always good to see new casting techniques that can be a get out of a difficult situation.
I'm looking forward to this if you do get chance Robert:thumb:

minitube

Reaction score

minitube

Reaction score
All this stuff produced in America is hghly educational and beneficial. I do find though that American Spey casting demos are rarely done with an actual Spey line. Personally I find this to have both good, and then perhaps not so good (rather than bad), aspects to it.

I am really glad they use those shooting head outfits as I would do so mainly or normally, i.e. to use Spey casting technique with in a short to medium stroke style - rather than the very short or ultra compact Classic Underhand style. Even though I have learned both, personally I much prefer a more open or medium stroke, the normal grip, even occasionally some body rotation e.t.c, (in the right amount or proportion for the line out). It represents for me and plenty of others, greater efficiency and line control (though some might disagree). These American videos do create a wide acceptance of shooting head use in that more open, short to medium stroke Spey casting style. A style with more in common to normal Spey line casting.

Personally though I just wish in their intros that they would qualify it for what it is. State the obvious and introduce it as Spey casting techniques using shooting head lines or with shooting heads, rather than just as Spey casting. To acknowledge and differentiate between Spey casting techniques with shooting heads, and actual Spey casting with a Spey line. It may be horses for courses on the West coast with Skagit and shooting heads but it would like to see some demonstrations at these events using a full medium belly Spey line also occasionally.

Last edited: