Cheviots - fishing within?

offshore

Reaction score
I hardly know the Cheviots, but have made a few trips across country between rivers on both coasts - and came to the conclusion that the Cheviot area is something special.

I assume the catchment contains tributaries of the Till - is any worthwhile sea-trout fishing (or even salmon) available within the more scenic parts. Catching a fish on a summers evening in that area would make a nice memory.

Nb. I assume this year was a dead loss with the drought, but we might get the opposite this year.

Thanks for any help

Rrrr

Reaction score
I hardly know the Cheviots, but have made a few trips across country between rivers on both coasts - and came to the conclusion that the Cheviot area is something special.

I assume the catchment contains tributaries of the Till - is any worthwhile sea-trout fishing (or even salmon) available within the more scenic parts. Catching a fish on a summers evening in that area would make a nice memory.

Nb. I assume this year was a dead loss with the drought, but we might get the opposite this year.

Thanks for any help
The upper coquet is pretty special but abit later in the season if you want a good chance of a salmon or seatrout.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

D

Deleted member 19029

Your main water course in the chevs is the Coquet and you’ll get action up there back end given water, the fed has just got some new water right up the valley (shillmoor) mainly for the wild brownies but if fishing for back end fish near spawning is your thing you’ll get plenty. The breamish (till) and the glen (tributary) will have sea trout come June. The fed also has water on the till up by wooler which will hold fish from may onwards, granted it’s not actually in the Cheviots but they are in the background. That’s all I can think of really. do a canny bit of mountain biking up there and it’s a long way for the fish to get

Last edited by a moderator:

Rrrr

Reaction score
Your main water course in the chevs is the Coquet and you’ll get action up there back end given water, the fed has just got some new water right up the valley (shillmoor) mainly for the wild brownies but if fishing for back end fish near spawning is your thing you’ll get plenty. The breamish (till) and the glen (tributary) will have sea trout come June. The fed also has water on the till up by wooler which will hold fish from may onwards, granted it’s not actually in the Cheviots but they are in the background. That’s all I can think of really. do a canny bit of mountain biking up there and it’s a long way for the fish to get
That new shillmoor water is about as wild And remote as you will get in northumberland by the look of it.

D

Deleted member 19029

That new shillmoor water is about as wild And remote as you will get in northumberland by the look of it.

I remember when I was about 15 I caught a coloured salmon from that bit in July when I was worming for trout. Good 25 years ago, plenty Springers running the river back then unlike now

Rrrr

Reaction score
I remember when I was about 15 I caught a coloured salmon from that bit in July when I was worming for trout. Good 25 years ago, plenty Springers running the river back then unlike now
Aye, if you had a good spring run it may be worth a shot late summer up there but you would be fishing amongst the kippers by the time you get a decent run these days, the thropton water looks to have potential though.

Last edited:

offshore

Reaction score
Looks like I would need to get a very wet summer to get a reasonable chance of a fresh fish in this area.

Hmmm.

I suppose I was thinking that if I cant catch many fish, I will try and catch a few fish in a nice area.

Thanks for all the replies; nothing is ever simple with this hobby.

Rrrr

Reaction score
Looks like I would need to get a very wet summer to get a reasonable chance of a fresh fish in this area.

Hmmm.

I suppose I was thinking that if I cant catch many fish, I will try and catch a few fish in a nice area.

Thanks for all the replies; nothing is ever simple with this hobby.
Yea you would need a decent summer flood, you could stay in the cheviots and be on the mid coquet in 25 mins for some fishing and its a bonny place too

lax0341

Reaction score
Yea you would need a decent summer flood, you could stay in the cheviots and be on the mid coquet in 25 mins for some fishing and its a bonny place too

That's really a lovely place to fish ! You could also fish the upper part of the Wear after a decent summer flood which has also very beautiful surroundings.

Last edited:

hackler

Reaction score
Cheviots

If you are considering the Till the Ford and Etal Estates have lovely water and offer day tickets.
Brian Thompson runs the fishing and is a great guy, hugely knowledgable about the fishing. It does need water to bring the migratory fish in but there are good stocks of grayling as well.
Beautiful countryside.

NEbody

Reaction score
Nobody’s mentioned the Rede yet. It drains the SW flank of the Cheviots. Given water (and it seems to catch more than the Coquet), it will get some migratory fish in the summer but it’s a long way up the Tyne system so sea-liced bars of silver will be the exception rather than the rule.

Rrrr

Reaction score
I didnt think about the rede and that fits the bill pretty well. If theres water and a few decent kielder releases then there should be a few fish up that way. There used to be day tickets near otterburn but not sure these days.