Cheaper Alternatives for Fly-Tying

Jockiescott

Reaction score
I was in Poundland a wee while ago and picked up a huge bag of 'Iridescent Scatter' in the party section. Apparently its for decorating tables and stuff at weddings and parties.

It is basically a huge bag of twisted pearl tinsel. Each length of tinsel is about a foot long and there are literally hundreds, if not thousands, of lengths of tinsel in the bag. At £1 a bag, I doubt if I'll need to buy pearl tinsel ever again!

clippert

Reaction score
I was in Poundland a wee while ago and picked up a huge bag of 'Iridescent Scatter' in the party section. Apparently its for decorating tables and stuff at weddings and parties.

It is basically a huge bag of twisted pearl tinsel. Each length of tinsel is about a foot long and there are literally hundreds, if not thousands, of lengths of tinsel in the bag. At £1 a bag, I doubt if I'll need to buy pearl tinsel ever again!

Iridescent Shred

looks the business - i'm off to poundland tomorrow :D

william m

Reaction score

js strech it and you get a nice blue for flash for wings ribbing ect.
william

Jockiescott

Reaction score
js strech it and you get a nice blue for flash for wings ribbing ect.
william

Yes William. If you stretch it you get a very good shiney material. It is this stuff stretched that is on the head of my flamethowers in the August fly swap. The front body of this fly uses the flat, non stretched, straight out of the bag, tinsel.

uplands50

Reaction score
ul 50 any brand name on them lenth of blade ect would be helpfull.
william

Cant remember the brand and I've thrown the packaging away, mostly cuticle scissors with a fine point and curved, blade length about 25-30mm, ideal for fine work, rrp were between £ 9.00 and 22.00

salmonshrimp

Reaction score

Got a bag oh that stuff what a deal cheers

kgm

Reaction score
Went to put an order in to Home page but it looks like they've copped on to the crazy prices charged to fly dressers:(

Golden pheasant tail £15 each:confused:
Golden pheasant head £7.00 each
lady amethyst tail £13.33 each

postage £20:mad:

I phoned to check the quality of they're products and try and get a sensible postage cost but they refused to budge on price and the GP crest doesn't have the nice red tips that you should find on mature heads.

At least Steve Cooper and Pat Nolan will be happy to get my business.

stew1

Reaction score
Got some colours of the Angelina fibres for winging and mixing with dubbing from colourcraft after a 3 week wait ! They said that they were waiting on one of the colours to come in.An email to tell me this should not have been out of the question.

Worth the wait though,as there are enough fibres in a 10g bag to last for ages,and ttie hundreds of flies,for only for a couple of quid.

Pleased with the product.

tbflyman

Reaction score
craft stores

i always stop in craft stores to look around,found great selections of beads and yarns,[wool and other fibers] take a look in your local stores!!

gwelsher

Reaction score
US Tubes substitute

After tying the Soft WG I wanted to try some variants but had run out of US tubes. The only thing I had similar was 10mm crimp tubes 2.2mm bore which fit the 1.8mm inner tubing, which I use for all my small tube flies. These only come in Silver, as far as I know, so after a quick rummage through my daughters makeup drawer I found various nail varnishes.

Top tube
Clear varnish with a gold fleck in it
Middle tube
Black varnish with a gold fleck in it
Bottom tube
Black permanent felt tip covered with clear varnish

I have just searched ebay and found some crimps which look like they are black as well as silver and a ID of 2mm. I will update when my order is received.

Last edited:

Hydroform

Reaction score
<br />
Set of 12 spools of coloured wire for ribbing. Thickness looks about the same as veniard medium gold wire.
<br />
<br />
Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
Posted in the wrong section initially. Apologies.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

DrPatrickT

Reaction score
Bobbin Threader

Not sure if this has been posted before but for those with a guitar or a pal that has a guitar - the bottom e string (6th String) - makes and ideal bobbin threader!

IMG_3140_bobbin.jpg

Bothy Cat

Reaction score
Conehead Puller

It's important to get a tight fit when attaching coneheads but it is likely that you will have a mixed variety of tubing and coneheads and some will be a loose fit. It's frustrating to push on a cone and have it spring back at you by strong hackle fibres. Some use glue or varnish but there is a simple solution.

Find a small metal bottle cap or similar, drill a hole in the centre (slightly smaller than the cone), fit the cone onto the liner and place the cap over the cone until it appears at the front. Holding the sides of the cap, apply a little backward pressure to pull the cone back over the hackle/materials. Burr the liner as normal waiting a few seconds for the burr to harden. Job done.

Genty

Reaction score
It's important to get a tight fit when attaching coneheads but it is likely that you will have a mixed variety of tubing and coneheads and some will be a loose fit. It's frustrating to push on a cone and have it spring back at you by strong hackle fibres. Some use glue or varnish but there is a simple solution.

Find a small metal bottle cap or similar, drill a hole in the centre (slightly smaller than the cone), fit the cone onto the liner and place the cap over the cone until it appears at the front. Holding the sides of the cap, apply a little backward pressure to pull the cone back over the hackle/materials. Burr the liner as normal waiting a few seconds for the burr to harden. Job done.

What a neat little trick, and this is the kind of things forums are all about.

Have just been tying up a few small tubes with cones, so persuaded the wife to have a gin and tonic, and used the screw top off of the now empty litre bottle of tonic, to make the above, and it works an absolute treat

Last edited:

gwelsher

Reaction score
Copper Tubes

This copper tubing in 2mm internal bore takes the FF/Tubeworx 1.8mm inner tubes perfectly. Great for adding cones/discs to metal tubes, balanced bodies or just finishing the head on the liner without having to buy the expensive US Tubes.
At 99p for 300mm it is cheap as chips and free postage from Hong Kong.

Copper Tubes 2mm - 5mm Internal Diameter 300mm Long Plumbing Pipe/Tube DIY Rod | eBay

I use a cutter like this to cut tubes to various lengths cleanly and easily. Score the tube,snap off, quick smooth with fine emery paper and job done.

Tube Cutter 3-28mm | Copper Pipe Cutters | Screwfix.com

Mainfisher

Reaction score
Cheaper method

Not sure if this has been posted before but for those with a guitar or a pal that has a guitar - the bottom e string (6th String) - makes and ideal bobbin threader!

View attachment 17914

Hello DrPatrickT,
I would like to tell you a cheaper method to get the thread through the tube:
Unwind the thread for about 15 cm. Put the thread into the tube and suck on the other side.
The thread will follow through the tube easy.
All the best!
Rainer

Jockiescott

Reaction score
In my local lidl today and got this.

15519705700823512467828492558367.jpg

11kg and 14kg yellow mono for £1.99

Enough there to keep me in editors for my lifetime. :lol: