Cheaper Alternatives for Fly-Tying

Fruin

Reaction score
Please use this thread to highlight any materials from other hobbies, crafts etc. that are suitable for fly tying, especially if they are a cheaper alternative to something that is widely used in fly tying.
This thread wil be made 'sticky' to ensure that it does not get lost in the archives. Can members please try to keep the thread relevant and not clutter it with chat; this will make it easier for other members to easily see the bargains available.

Fruin

Reaction score
So far we have "Angelina Fibres" that are available from...
http://www.beeinspired.co.uk/products.php?itemCat=cemaf

It should be noted that while this can be a substitute for LiteBrite, the 'fusible' fibres are relatively brittle and are better for body dubbing. They can break away easily if you use them for winging or for dubbing with longer fibres in a dubbing loop.
The 'non-fusible' fibres are a lot stronger and are better suited to winging and longer dubbing applications.
While the link to Bee Inspired has been posted, this type of material is available form many stockists of craft materials and a good search around the internet will reveal other sources.

easky

Reaction score
bead towers

very good idea Fruin... my contribution are the little circular boxes called 'bead towers' that stack up together. These are available in craft shops and are a great way of storing hooks and other materials. As they are made of clear plastic you can easily see what is inside.

I got mine from here www.craft-world.co.uk (their web site is still under development but you can get address and contact details)

here's a couple of links where you can buy them online www.thebeadtrail.co.uk/acatalog/STORAGE_SOLUTIONS.html
www.sewinspiring.co.uk/acatalog/bead_storage_jewellery_beading_accessories.html

Last edited:

Jockiescott

Reaction score
The craft shops sell the wee gold and silver beads sometimes used on trout flies and on flying C's. Buy them from a tackle shop and they'll charge you about 5-7 pence per bead. Craft shops sell 200 for £1.

salmonshrimp

Reaction score

Aled

Reaction score
May be of interest...
Some of my freebies for fly tying.
Fly Tying Kit/general kit storage: Recsued from a skip: 2 library card draws, two draws from a medical trolley, and an A4 page size metal filling cabinet, been using them for 15 years.
Paper Clips: Larger sizes to make waddingtons, smaller sizes used to keep minnow mounts and shells together in box.
Insultation Tape: Black, red, and yellow make good bodies for tubes and waddis.
Present sellotape: Use the red tape to make bodies for red mackrel flies, silver and gold could probably do alright to.
Wine Bottle Package String: Looks like mylar, can be used like mylar!
Tight Lines
Aled

fishing sanny

Reaction score

Jockiescott

Reaction score
Just found this:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/50-SILVER-PLA...117?pt=UK_Crafts_Beads_CA&hash=item3363fc0235

30mm in length should be just over an inch? 50 for £1.25!!!

Just received some of these tubes, no lining, but nice finish if you don't want tubes with any weight, slim 2mm similar to a needle tube
just have to check all my lining tubes now to see if any fit, will let you know in due course.
Tightlines FS

Mine just arrived to!!! :D

I have checked and my veniard tube liner fits these perfectly!

Nice wee slim tube with very little weight. Should work perfectly with a cone head.

hurricane

Reaction score
Well guys whats the verdict?

I am thinking those skinny tubes would be good for estuary fishing, slim sandeel profile.

Anyone know where to buy oval tinsel on the cheap?

magpie-tail

Reaction score
Guys I bought some boxes in asda yesterday they was onle 2 quid each from the harware department they are approx 18” x 12 ” and have the dividers inside them

fishing sanny

Reaction score
Well guys whats the verdict?

Nice tubes for the money and 1.5mm lining tube fits inside them nicely.
These would be nice to replace plastic tubes as these will not bend and hence loosen materials like some plastic tubes can do.
Nice too that I have loads of coneheads with 1.5mm hole:D
Tightlines FS

Znogg

Reaction score
Metallic flatbraid and tinsel

Look for companies "Coats" or "Anchor"
Type "Diadem" or "Metallic"

£1.95-£3.75 for 20-100m (as opposed to 5 yards on Lagartun Flatbraid).
Very much like the real thing, but the braid has no stretch due to ultra-thin nylon fibres incorporated.

Some of the tinsels do have stretch though.

Check
http://www.sewandso.co.uk/Departments/Threads/Anchor/Anchor-Metallic-Threads.aspx

There's an insane range of types and colours!

Hollywood

Reaction score
Coneheads

Stumbled upon the link below when looking around for some tungsten coneheads. I've seen some places charging £6/7 for tungsten cones which seems a bit rich. I've ordered some tungsten cones from this store at E1.60 for 10 and some brass cones at 80cent/60p for 10. I'll post some pics and give you my opinion when they arrive.

Anyone else had experience of these cones? William.

http://www.czechnymphs.com/index.php?page=shop.browse&category_id=3&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=2

gwelsher

Reaction score
Great price. Let us know what they are like when you get them and what size the hole is.

SP8

Reaction score
I sent for some of the silver and gold tubes and they seem ideal and excellent for the price. I've tied some up and look forward to giving them a swim. I would be very interested in the verdict on the cones in the link above.

SP8

coedithel

Reaction score
Tulip Beads such as used for devon minnow hook mounts make easy to
dress light weight "bottle tubes". For weight I twist some fine lead wire in front of the tulip and dress over it. They flare out the dressing for temple-dog type patterns and are the perfect shape for PBpigs. Available in black and red, about £3 for 50. The hook mounts nicely in to the back of the tulip and I add a bit of sparkle to this end by wrapping gold or silver holographic sticky tape around behind the bead.They make for easy tying for someone as hamfisted as me. !
Dead easy to add a cone in front too : larger cones slip straight on or sleeve with lining tube for smaller cones.

Last edited:

dangler

Reaction score
Cheap "salar" hook subs

Mick Bell of Bloke Rods is currently offering a 2 for 1 with his new Mashama hooks.
www.mashamahooks.com/page1/page1.html

I have just (Monday) received the order I placed on-line on Friday night.
I bought salar look-alike Salmo doubles in silver and gold and black standard doubles which are a good sub for code P's.

The salmos are very like salars but I think with a slightly less incurved point. Visual quality is consistent and good and a sample all passed the 'ping' test.
The standard black doubles are also visually very good and seem just slightly lighter in the wire than code P but very similar shape.

I am happy to recommend what seem excellent hooks at unbeatable prices.

Tight lines, Mike
ps. his Trebuchet rods are pretty damn good too!
Incidentally, other than as a satified customer I have no connection with this business.