Cheap rod suggestions.

Red Spinner

Reaction score
Why not an Avon rod?
It is a proven design that has been around for years and for a spinner they just need a little off the tip.
I used such a rod for years and landed fish to well over 20lbs on it, the only modification being an inch off the tip.
Plenty of low price 2nd hand Avons around, the green blank John Wilson (which also comes with quiver tip) being one of the best and usually priced below £50.

SnapT14

Reaction score
I'm looking for a sub £100 10' #7 rod.
Don't like using expensive tackle at night because I tend to be quite rough on it.
Any suggestions for cheaper workhorse rods would be gratefully received 👍
Thanks in advance.
Merry Xmas everyone.
Second hand Sage RPL+. Probably the best rod Sage ever made.

onelastcast

Reaction score
If you can manage with 2pce rods ,I can give a 100% recommendation for michael evans arrowhead rods,I have used them for years 15 years + and I fall over a lot ,dont worry about super thin wall blanks they cast well have caught me loads of sea trout up to double figure fish and more than a few salmon and can be picked up cheap secondhand either the 9ft3 or 9ft 9 both excellent tools for the job ,onelastcast

doubletaper

Reaction score
Yes the Shakey Agility rods are excellent value ( I have two! ) and I know what you mean by not being to worried about breaking an expensive rod when your up and down banks in the dark or on a boat scrambling about. I've just purchased a 10' Daiwa Trout Fly S4 1007-4 for my Sea trout trips for £55 and it seems light & quite powerful for the money and very well put together for the price. There are some good reels and rods out there for not a lot of pennies if your prepared to look around.

Gosling

Reaction score
The agility's are great. The 10ft and 11ft come with a fighting butt and an extension handle to turn into a switch rod. Brilliant rod

Andrew B

Reaction score
If you can ever find a second hand Alltmor for less than a 100 bats, they are seriously good sea trout rods.
I wouldn’t dream of taking a high end rod sea trout fishing myself as it’s hard enough just navigating the paths in the dark lol.
I’ve come to the conclusion that it’s probably worth investigating in a decent fly line more than anything? One that will load the rod and roll cast that fly out in tight spots.

onelastcast

Reaction score
Have to agree with Andrew on this the Loop evotec 85 or Loop opti stream get my vote thay make night time casting so simple ,onelastcast