Changing of seasons and our favourite back end flies.

NoviceFly

Reaction score
As we approach the twilight of the seasons in the UK, I must confess to enjoying the run in now and the autumn salmon fishing. Whilst there is no doubt chasing Springers and landing them are probably much more of a reward to most, there is something more about being out fishing at this time of year that I actually enjoy more. The colder mornings and the shorter days, the colours of the changing greens to reds and oranges etc.

On the fly front I like the reds and purples of the Frances and the red devils and smaller shrimp variants...

What are other peoples opinions on autmun fishing and what are their favourite flies for this period?

Perrypokemon

Reaction score
When it gets to this time of year or shortly after, I am never without the same thing on the end of my line that I have every year hot or cold, rain or shine. I talk of course about the delight of every salmon angler which is the bunch of stinky decaying leaves that attach themselves to my leader and fly. .

PS I am also quite partial to a red or purple 10mm long Pot Bellied Pig

NoviceFly

Reaction score
When it gets to this time of year or shortly after, I am never without the same thing on the end of my line that I have every year hot or cold, rain or shine. I talk of course about the delight of every salmon angler which is the bunch of stinky decaying leaves that attach themselves to my leader and fly. .

PS I am also quite partial to a red or purple 10mm long Pot Bellied Pig
:D I forgot to mention the every third cast retrieve to unhook the pigging leave off...

Jockiescott

Reaction score
My interest in fishing dwindles along with the fading light at this time of the year. Battling through leaves to catch coloured fish just doesn't do anything for me.

If I had one more good spate and another day at the river I could hang the rods up for the year. If we don't get the water I like, I'm already finished.

As for flies? Anything red.

I don't want to put up any pictures in case someone is thinking of tying them for this month's TOTM. :)

Last edited:

Lamson v10

Reaction score
Call me a fly boring tw at but I'm pretty much the same as I am in the spring :wow:
the good old willie gunn but mibi just mibi with a wee touch of red in them :thumb:

DSC_0601.JPG

Or a posh tosh, my largest fish to date was caught on one of these on the tweed

_20180314_144538.JPG

Jockiescott

Reaction score
You tie a cracking willy Gunn Lv10! Still be plenty of movement in those. When I tie that style the fibres seem to lay flat and look lifeless.

Posh tosh looks a beezer too.

Cracking stuff!

The mention of the Willy Gunn reminded me of this cracking step by step from former forum member ballingal512. Hasn't been around in a while either.

This has to be deadly in autumn surely...

Lethal Autumn tube SBS

I could never tie one I was happy with.

mc andy

Reaction score
You tie a cracking willy Gunn Lv10! Still be plenty of movement in those. When I tie that style the fibres seem to lay flat and look lifeless.

Cracking stuff!

The mention of the Willy Gunn reminded me of this cracking step by step from former forum member ballingal512. Hasn't been around in a while either.

Lethal Autumn tube SBS

Got to agree with this Jockiescott, they are very tidy. I've always struggled with mixing my bucktail. Think I've only tied one in my time I've ever been pleased with.

ibm59

Reaction score
Been looking at photos posted of fish taken over the last few weeks , and have to say that it’s time to have a long hard look at the current legal seasons within the various regions of the so called ‘ united kingdom ‘..

Mid September , and nowt on display but fish well on their road to the spawning beds.
‘One or two shiny fish here and there , but with soft bellys.

My rods are cleaned and stowed away til next season.

MCXFisher

Reaction score
Been looking at photos posted of fish taken over the last few weeks , and have to say that it’s time to have a long hard look at the current legal seasons within the various regions of the so called ‘ united kingdom ‘..

Mid September , and nowt on display but fish well on their road to the spawning beds.

I think a lot depends on latitude and the nature of the river. In Yorkshire we have the strange phenomenon of fresh fish running - water permitting - in every month of the year. One September day I caught 5 fish on the Ure: one tartan warrior; one light brown hen; two grilse just off silver that had been in the river a couple of weeks; and a silver grey hen that had run 130 miles from the North Sea in a single effort over the space of 3-4 days. The pike anglers catch fresh fish down at Naburn November - January every year.

If what I faced in October was an unremitting diet of brown and gravid fish I wouldn't bother myself or them. I certainly wouldn't be on the Findhorn in October - even in mid-September there are plenty of gravid brown hens. But on the Ure with the prospect of even 15-20% respectably fresh fish it's another matter.

mc andy

Reaction score

I think this is a veiw from someone who has Fished for many more years than me and possibly many others on here. I can see your point, but my association water has now got fish in it and I intend to fish for them. In my years have never had a problem returning autumn fish but have had bleeders in the spring. . We are only in September? Some are fortunate to move to shooting or other winter sports others choose to fish. Rightly or wrongly.

Jockiescott

Reaction score
I don't think I've tied one yet that I've been completely happy with yet Mc andy. ☺

September used to be the month I looked forward to most on my river. Around the second week of the month we started to get the "harvest run". Lovely deep, broad backed, hard fighting, silver salmon. I remember getting two one evening and they were like carbon copies of each other. These fish started to disappear from around 2005 onwards.

Our monthly counter figures are showing very low numbers entering the river in recent years for the months of September and October. .

I prefer fishing for summer grilse with floating lines, small flies and in my short sleeves. Being all muffled up, having to use more sinking type lines and catching on the bottom more often and having to haul in leaves every other cast, just isn't my idea of enjoyment. I'm most definitely a fair weather angler. 😊

I'm not knocking anyone who wants to fish on until October or November. It's just not for me!

Last edited:

Lamson v10

Reaction score

Cracking stuff!

Lethal Autumn tube SBS

Thank's jockiescott :cool: it's a fly I enjoy tying and seem to find pretty easy to tie
Also Thank's for posting the link to ballingall's willie gunn 👍🏻 I like the look of that variant and will post my efforts of it up soon, he was before my time on the forum and clearly could tie a mean looking fly looking at some of his posts :cool: sad he's no longer around on the forum

Jockiescott

Reaction score
Tied these two over the past couple of days.

I looked through an old fishing diary a few months ago. The entries were from the late 90s/early 2000s. The number of fish I'd caught on these two patterns was a real eye opener. Its been a good few years since Ive given either of these patterns a proper chance. I can't even remember the last time I tied that orange shrimp.

If I get some water before the end of the month I really must get these two on a cast again.

IMG_20190915_103814.jpg

Nothing red either so should not influence the current TOTM. :)

Last edited:

Rennie

Reaction score
I love a good old All Red, but an easy fix is to merely swap the Willie G about a bit,Copper body and swap the Orange for Red instead.Both prolific Autumn fish takers-or used to be.
mc andy, I too used to struggle getting a good Willie G., however these days I find them quite easy to tie and can change the look of the flee by varying proportions, nay even one or two of the colours.
For the classic I do the wing in 3 stages, a wrap of Yello, a wrap of Orange then the final wrap of Black.Its just a question or proportion thats all, and the "appeal" of the Willie G. is that no two tyers flee's will ever strictly be the same, so in effect its your own pattern.
Like I say swap Orange for Red and you could try Purple instead of Black, good trick for the leafy water too!.
Pedro.