Century Stealth 13' 8/9/10

ibm59

Reaction score
Despite a bit of a domestic crisis , and a wee dollop of rain , I made it up to the River Which Must Not Be Named today with the intention of properly testing my recently acquired , 2nd hand , 13' Century.

And properly tested it was.

When I did my part , which wasn't too often due to a long layoff from left hand up casting , the rod very comfortably handled a 9/10 AFS hover , 12' Riverge tapered fluoro leader + 5' of tippet , and a 1'' plastic tube Cascade.

Those familiar with the RWNBN will recognise some of the marks in the next bit.

I'd fished down through the Bridge Pool , and was standing on the Cables retrieving my fly past the end of the Pipe , when everything went solid.
So solid , in fact , that I was sure that I'd hooked the Pipe itself.

Then the Pipe moved slowly out into midstream.

After a minute or two of drowned line incidents , much surface thrashing , cartwheels etc etc , I thought I'd got what was obviously a mid / upper teen , very fresh , fish under a semblance of control , and walked it back up to the lower cable.
A riverside friend appeared just then , and readily offered to assist in the landing of the fish. Thanks , Ian.:)

What happened next will stay with me for a very , very , long time.
Upon crossing the lower cable , the fish obviously had a change of heart , made a vicious change of direction ,cartweeled again , and headed off downstream.
Now , we've all had fish that have taken us into the backing , but this one literally tore off 30' of shooting head , a whole 100' of running line , and around 30 yds of backing in the blink of an eye. Against a fairly heavily set drag at that.

Cue 2 astonished anglers stumbling back onto dry land , and attempting to follow the fish down.

We finally caught up with it around 100yds further downstream , and battle was joined again.
Back and forward , back and forward , across the stream with some more surface antics thrown in for good measure.

Just when I finally felt that we had a chance of landing it , the fish tore off again.
But this time I felt a quite distinct twang as the leader momentarily struck an underwater rock , and a couple of seconds later the line went slack.
Back came an undamaged hook and leader.

I felt as sick as the proverbial parrot.:(

Anyway , it all goes to show that , no matter how much we think we know about playing fish , a maverick will come along , break all the rules , and show us just how little we actually do know.:eek:

ps The rod coped quite admirably with the high jinks , and I'd have no problems with using it anywhere.

Last edited:

Strathglass

Reaction score
Here is that very rod in action today...

Tough luck on the fish B. :(

Last edited:

rubberwellie

Reaction score
Commiserations / congratulations on the fish!

Guys, what size of rod do you recommend for the river:

a) In low water?

b) In high water?

Would something like a 13"7 guideline exceed cover all eventualities?

Fruin

Reaction score
Guys, what size of rod do you recommend for the river:

a) In low water?
b) In high water?

Would something like a 13"7 guideline exceed cover all eventualities?

It really depends on your casting and your preferred approach to your fishing. I always liked a 14-15' 9/10 or 10/11 for higher water most of the year round, moving to a 12-13' 8/9 when the water dropped. During a summer low a single handed trout rod can be a good approach.

A 13'7 Exceed would probably be a good all rounder as long as you recognise the compromise in terms of highest and lowest water levels.

rubberwellie

Reaction score
It really depends on your casting and your preferred approach to your fishing.

Still a novice! :D

I always liked a 14-15' 9/10 or 10/11 for higher water most of the year round, moving to a 12-13' 8/9 when the water dropped. During a summer low a single handed trout rod can be a good approach.

Well I have the 15" 10/11 and the single hander taken care of so I suppose what I'm after is a shorter rod that will suit the river at lower levels and cover me for trips to other small - medium rivers.

A 13'7 Exceed would probably be a good all rounder as long as you recognise the compromise in terms of highest and lowest water levels.

The 15" would cover me for really high water. Aside from having heard good reports about it, the length does seem to be a good compromise between a 13 and 14 footer and would save me having to buy both as well as suitable lines for each.

I think I might also find the shorter rod more enjoyable and easier to use whilst still learning / improving.