Century Stealth 12'9 advise

Reaction score
Any advise appreciated from the lads who own one of these rods.
Santa has kindly brought me the rod I wanted for Xmas and it's time I got it sorted with new lines for the coming season.
I'm well kitted out with AFS/out bounds in 9/10 and 10/11 so I'd assume the 9/10 will be about spot on? (I don't like my rod overloaded)
The main question is what longer lines would anybody recommend? For my summer fishing I usually like a 55 to 65ft full floater.
I am leaning towards getting a carron 55' but would appreciate hearing anybody's experiences.
Many thanks.

paddymc

Reaction score
Santa has kindly brought me the rod I wanted for Xmas and it's time I got it sorted with new lines for the coming season.
I'm well kitted out with AFS/out bounds in 9/10 and 10/11 so I'd assume the 9/10 will be about spot on? (I don't like my rod overloaded)
The main question is what longer lines would anybody recommend? For my summer fishing I usually like a 55 to 65ft full floater.
I am leaning towards getting a carron 55' but would appreciate hearing anybody's experiences.
Many thanks.

It's a beefy rod, and in my opinion it will need the 42g AFS to do it justice.

As for a 65' head floater on it, forget it. Stick to shooting heads, skagit, and maybe a short head spey at a push.

Andy R

Reaction score
mid Wales, just over the Shropshire border
I'd have thought a 65 foot head would be too long for a 12`9`` rod, I've got a few rods 12`4`` to 13 foot, and they cast much sweeter with good presentation with a 50 foot head floater. My 65 foot headed lines I leave to my 15 footers or longer, having tried an Rio 8/9 midspey with a 12 foot rod, I'd not recommend it.

Springer

Reaction score
I designed this rod action purely for the shorter shooting head lines, using a 65' or even 55' headed spey line is taking this rod outside of its design parameter. Yes it will work but dont expect it to perform how I intended it to.

Century Stealth 12'9" #9/10/11 - Game Fishing Rod

42g AFS or Outbound is good along with Vision Ace 12/13 which comes in around 44g, by all means try the 9/10 AFS if you like to cast that bit faster, you can always go up to 42g if its feeling too light.

Reaction score
I designed this rod action purely for the shorter shooting head lines, using a 65' or even 55' headed spey line is taking this rod outside of its design parameter. Yes it will work but dont expect it to perform how I intended it to.

Century Stealth 12'9" #9/10/11 - Game Fishing Rod

42g AFS or Outbound is good along with Vision Ace 12/13 which comes in around 44g, by all means try the 9/10 AFS if you like to cast that bit faster, you can always go up to 42g if its feeling too light.

Thanks for the info. I have plenty of 42g AFS heads to try and will after the recommendations. I like having the option to give my setup a bit of stick when I need to so hate over lining the rod, although this doesn't sound like it will be the case.
To clarify, I'll not be going for a 65, just saying that's what I use with my current summer setup on a longer rod. Something around the 55' for medium range, delicate presentation type work. From what has been said, I think I will start with a 55' 10/11 and fine tune from there.
It's obvious that the rod's bread and butter work will be SH's and skagits, that's why I wanted it! but I'd be surprised if I can't cast a decent line with a longer line on it.

Springer

Reaction score
Yes you can cast a decent line with a 55' headed spey line in the 46-50g range but its just not as easy as a rod with a medium or more through action. The rod will be quite unforgiving of poor timing with a 55' or longer spey line.

Reaction score
Yes you can cast a decent line with a 55' headed spey line in the 46-50g range but its just not as easy as a rod with a medium or more through action. The rod will be quite unforgiving of poor timing with a 55' or longer spey line.

That's the exact reason I got the rod. Can't bide most modern through action 'easy peasy' rods. Thanks for the line advise. I'll have a bit of an experiment and see how I get on.

Grilse Boy

Reaction score
Yes you can cast a decent line with a 55' line in the 46-50g range but its just not as easy as a rod with a medium or more through action. The rod will be quite unforgiving of poor timing with a 55' or longer spey line.

My timing must be better than I thought as that is my favourite line on this rod with the old hardy Mach 55 11 weight :cool::cool::cool:

Grilse Boy

Reaction score
Many thanks.

I would not use a 65ft head with this rod bit too long by the time you have your poly leader and tip the Carrons are cracking but I have found most 11 weight lines are very good on this rod Mach 55 11 weight Mackenzie g2 56ft head 10/11 weight. I have never found a shooting head that does not fly of this rod in the 42g to 44gram.Never buy another rod again unless I buy another one of these;);););)

Hope this helps

Regards GB

scott_springer

Banned
Reaction score
t

I will field these questions for W&D as I know he will be hitting a budgie over a net tonight.

I don't think it entered his head to use a 65ft line on this rod. I think he was simply stating what lines he uses on his current rods as previously stated on page 1. Even though I have seen him using equivalent line length to rod length ratio on other rods to great effect it probably isn't as cut and dry as that.

I also know that the first rod that he was given to use was a mark 1 hardy gem 15ft. Which is a brute of a rod. I know Springer thinks this is an awful rod and I think this is where opinions will differ as I know W&D gets on famously with this bit of kit and always has done. I know when he has tried other rods he has thought they were terrible. Without using another golf analogy it would be like starting to play with an X stiff shaft and then going on to use senior shafts (although they would be easier to use). It would feel weird. I guess it is what you get used to.

I know he likes a bit of a challenge too. Although I don't think he will have any difficulty using this or any rods :cool:

jimmylong

Reaction score
He's an eager young buck with plenty of energy, Im sure he will be fine, at his age I as saying the same. :)

I dont want to burst his bubble, But i have used this rod (auldsalmon kindly gave me his for a throw)its easy peasy mate ,you will need to look else where for a challenge ,What about a Greenheart? :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Reaction score
Can i ask you what a "modern through action easy peasy rod " is please :confused:

Well to name the most easy peasy through action rod I have used would be the Hardy Demon.
You have springer to give yo the technical terms if he has any energy left.
It is a rod that I would say less is more when it comes to putting in power. It's a rod I would happily use all day in the given situation. Just not for my day to day fishing.
Now rightly enough I don't want to make life harder than it has to be, that's partly the reason for the new rod. To hopefully do what I can do now only more comfortably. That said, I need a rod that can stand up to a bit of power being put through it when necessary, which I found the demon etc couldn't.

Reaction score
I would not use a 65ft head with this rod bit too long by the time you have your poly leader and tip the Carrons are cracking but I have found most 11 weight lines are very good on this rod Mach 55 11 weight Mackenzie g2 56ft head 10/11 weight. I have never found a shooting head that does not fly of this rod in the 42g to 44gram.Never buy another rod again unless I buy another one of these;);););)

Hope this helps

Regards GB

Thanks for the info GB. I have decided on the 55 carron in 10/11 as I have other rods that would be perfect for it if the century isn't.
I have read all the rave reviews and can't wait to get out and give the rod a go! I'm sure I won't be disappointed.

Springer

Reaction score
It is a rod that I would say less is more when it comes to putting in power. It's a rod I would happily use all day in the given situation. Just not for my day to day fishing.
Now rightly enough I don't want to make life harder than it has to be, that's partly the reason for the new rod. To hopefully do what I can do now only more comfortably. That said, I need a rod that can stand up to a bit of power being put through it when necessary, which I found the demon etc couldn't.

That's fair enough, and yes the Demon is one of this easy peasy do it for you rods, just what I like. If you like the old Gem then I think the 12'9 will be a revelation. Be sure to let us know how you get on :)