Century Stealth 12'9 - 9/10/11

Method man

Reaction score
Got me one of these rods & have no idea what I should b using on it.....
I'm used to a 15ft b&w Norway with a carron jetstream 65 or 75ftr

Looking to go down the shooting head line road but not sure what works best with this rod?

Any advice welcome:cool::)

Last edited:

bankwheel

Reaction score
Best thing would be to give it to me for a year and I'll work out what suits it best :)

Read the reviews, there is plenty on here

Method man

Reaction score
I believe shooting head is the way to go but relatively naive to the shooting head set up

However, I do fancy a good crack at the right set up :cool::p

Grilse Boy

Reaction score
Has to be the afs 10/11 goes like a rocket but I do like the Scott McKenzie short 56 10/11 line on it and the old hardy mach 55 10/11 weight those are all my favourite lines on that rod the problem with heads on that Rod is you end up with so much running line as it is a beast at chucking it out so much.

RUSH

Reaction score
Advice needed......

Got me one of these rods recently & was looking for some guidance on a line??!!!

I'm used to using a 15ft norway with a 65 or 75ft carron jetstream
Any advice welcome

CheersMM:cool:
Eric I've tried the 9/10 and 10/11 Afs thru the 14,I felt the 9/10 was okay but when I put the 10/11 the rod really came to life
so maybe worth trying some heads in the 38 to 44g I sure db could sort you out with some to try :)

RUSH

Reaction score
I'm not holding out any hope for the big man!........

He doesn't like to share:rolleyes::rolleyes:;)
I'm sure the big man will help you out as I said worth trying from 38 to 44g
Heads you won't be far away at that and that way you'll get to see what suits you better

Springer

Reaction score
This rod was designed with typical length shooting heads in mind, it was never meant for longer spey lines as the action is too fast to cast them efficiently.

The new Rio Scandi 11wt goes well along with the AFS 10/11 or the Vision Ace 12/13 - basically most people seem to prefer the rod with heads of 42g or more, don't waste your time with 65' spey lines, it wasn't designed for that, the longest head I would use would be 55' and even then this is a compromise.

Grassy_Knollington

Reaction score
This rod was designed with typical length shooting heads in mind, it was never meant for longer spey lines as the action is too fast to cast them efficiently.

The new Rio Scandi 11wt goes well along with the AFS 10/11 or the Vision Ace 12/13 - basically most people seem to prefer the rod with heads of 42g or more, don't waste your time with 65' spey lines, it wasn't designed for that, the longest head I would use would be 55' and even then this is a compromise.
Springer

This is probably old ground but......

I'm interested in what you say about the rod being too fast-actioned to cast a long head efficiently. Could you explain why that is the case and does the reverse apply to the ability of a slow (er) actioned rod to cast a shooting head efficiently?

Is it because the longer head will load the rod more gradually?

Cheers

Springer

Reaction score
Springer

This is probably old ground but......

I'm interested in what you say about the rod being too fast-actioned to cast a long head efficiently. Could you explain why that is the case and does the reverse apply to the ability of a slow (er) actioned rod to cast a shooting head efficiently?

Is it because the longer head will load the rod more gradually?

Cheers
Fast actioned rods don't bend as much as slow actioned rods, as a result they unload (return to straight) faster to. Longer header lines need longer casting stroke lengths, you get more rod tip travel and thus a longer unloading period from a rod which bends more in the first place. The rod in question is also just under 13' in length so a spey line with a 65' head is then 5x the rod length, this is long bellied line territory, to go to a 75' head would be nearly 6x and this is an extreme distance casting ratio, rods designed for this kind of application bend all the way into the handle for the reasons mentioned earlier.

Short heads cast well from any rod action providing you apply an appropriate casting stroke, a slow or through actioned rod is by far the most versatile and able to cast any line type.

ozzyian

Reaction score
Fast rods don't bend as much as slow rods, as a result they unload (return to straight) faster to. Longer header lines need longer casting stroke lengths, you get more rod tip travel and thus a longer unloading period from a rod which bends more in the first place. The rod in question is also just under 13' in length so a spey line with a 65' head is then 5x the rod length, this is long bellied line territory, to go to a 75' head would be nearly 6x and this is an extreme distance casting ratio, rods designed for this kind of application bend all the way into the handle for the reasons mentioned earlier.

Short heads cast well from any rod action providing you apply an appropriate casting stroke, a slow or through actioned rod is by far the most versatile and able to cast any line type.

Nice to hear someone in the know saying this. I thought I was weird to think this (encouraged by the copy writers who keep championing faster/tippier rods):)

Springer

Reaction score
Nice to hear someone in the know saying this. I thought I was weird to think this (encouraged by the copy writers who keep championing faster/tippier rods):)
In a testosterone fuelled and mainly male orientated market the term 'slow' as in slow actioned rod isn't as attractive or as luring as 'fast' or even more so 'ultra fast'.

Sadly it then becomes crazy as some companies then market a rod as ultra fast but in reality it has a slow action which is easier to cast and generally more versatile to the wider audience. The marketing men have a lot to answer for surrounding the confusion that is out there.

Jock

Reaction score
Fast actioned rods don't bend as much as slow actioned rods, as a result they unload (return to straight) faster to. Longer header lines need longer casting stroke lengths, you get more rod tip travel and thus a longer unloading period from a rod which bends more in the first place. The rod in question is also just under 13' in length so a spey line with a 65' head is then 5x the rod length, this is long bellied line territory, to go to a 75' head would be nearly 6x and this is an extreme distance casting ratio, rods designed for this kind of application bend all the way into the handle for the reasons mentioned earlier.

You just love casting these bendy. more versitile rods do you not?:rolleyes::D:D:D
IMG_3864.jpg

love to fly fish

Reaction score
rio skagit max 700gr get a running line u like i like thin running lines my self that rod is a brute and for big fish springers spring to mind:cool: