Century Stealth 12' 9" - 9/10/11

Springer

Reaction score
Springer what is a scangit?

It is my interpretation of a Skagit style line that I believe is more suited to atlantic salmon fishers. It offers the deep loading qualities of a Skagit head with the subtlety of a Scandi shooting head.

Hence Scangit.

Piscatoria

Reaction score
It is my interpretation of a Skagit style line that I believe is more suited to atlantic salmon fishers. It offers the deep loading qualities of a Skagit head with the subtlety of a Scandi shooting head.

Hence Scangit.

Alan

Are you going to be releasing a version of this concept? Can you advise on head length and weight. Being 6' 3" tall and fishing a 15' rod i find that when fishing shooting heads even intermediates with tips without any need to roll cast to surface that i lift directly from dangle that i often lift anchor just a yard or so further upstream than i need. The idea of a shooting head without tips or polys that is 50 - 60 feet in length appeals to me!

Springer

Reaction score
Sorry Russell but my Scangits are 27'- 33' in the head, then a 15' tip is added giving heads of 42'-47'. The weight between 550 and 700 grains

Springer

Reaction score
No problem, I dont really see any point in a shooting head longer than around 45'. We might as well just use 55' headed spey lines IME.

crispin

Banned
Reaction score
Alan, can I ask the reasoning behind designing a 12ft 9 and a 13ft?

Does the extra three inches make much of a difference, or are they designed with very different uses or casting styles in mind?

Springer

Reaction score
Alan, can I ask the reasoning behind designing a 12ft 9 and a 13ft?

Does the extra three inches make much of a difference, or are they designed with very different uses or casting styles in mind?

As well as the length difference Crispin there is a line class difference which when using the 2 rods back to back is quite obvious at either end of the spectrum.

The 13' - 8/9/10 will handle heads in the 30g-40g range as well as spey lines upto 4x rod length. The 12'9 - 9/10/11 overlaps in the middle but has more muscle at the top end prefering heads in the 36g-46g range. Both rods weigh in very similar, their actions differ in that the 12'9 is faster. That said, depending on the chosen line weigh, reel weight and the amount of weight employed in the 'ABC' they can be made to feel very similar.

'ABC' really can transform the rods action, for example a lighter line of say 36g on the 12'9 makes it feel very fast with no balance weights. If you add a couple of weights it is the same as choosing a 40g head, it loads the rod more deeply and so on. For maximum load go to 44g and 5 weights and ease off a little on the power you apply and things do fly with incredible line speed..

I have found that 'ABC' makes the rods far less line fussy (hence the 3 digit ratings) so long as you are prepared to spend the time getting to know and understand how it works. A comprehensive guide to 'ABC' will appear on the website

munro

Reaction score
This is looking good,need to get one for fruin to try on clyde let lennox rod put through paces
some of us clyde guys like the 12 &13ft rod, what says you fishing spirit,very interested
always like the understated look quiet elegance that hides a sophisticated workhorse,actually spoke to fruin about rod build likes dislikes on theme about year ago.this has most of my likes,only thing is would love with the ferguson (skelteon reel seat) you know with the cork or composite in the construction,is that an option minor custom work
awaiting more info
but very interesting,and very interested

Last edited:

Grilse Boy

Reaction score
This rod is superb I have been using the afs 10/11 heads my favourite is the tracker 10/11 it is one of the best rod and line combinations I have ever tried the only problem is the running lines are too short :cool::p:):eek:

kenny007

Reaction score
Hi Jock,

The 10/11 AFS loads the rod deeper and ultimately gives that bit more distance without the effort needed with the 9/10 even though as you have pointed out its no real effort anyway. Again the Guideline PT's in 10/11 are better for ultimate distance or when your need to swing the heavy gear. On the other hand I often use the 9/10 ones when fishing in the 25-30yd range.

The rod is comfortable with head lengths upto around 55' and lines like the Mach2/55 in 10# and 11# work well along with the Drury Spey 10/11 and the Airflo Delta 10/11.

I really like the rod with a 650 Skagit and our own 620 Scangits.

Be sure to try with all the bullets in the barrel but make sure you keep tight a hold ;)

ps. Nice floor :cool:

I was out messing about with this rod today and to say blown away is an understatement.

9/10 outbound was sublime, just wanted more n more with each cast.

RTG 550 skagit with 15ft of T10 beggared belief, if flew of the rod like a Hurricane fighter jet.

Started off with 2 bullets in the butt then put another 2 in and it just got better and better.

It took a few hours getting used to the rod but by the time it was time for home I could hardly pull myself away.

Cant wait to get out again with it:eek:

Roll on next week on Wester Elchies, this will be the 'go to' rod for me;)

Last edited:

Springer

Reaction score
I was out messing about with this rod today and to say blown away is an understatement.

RTG 550 skagit with 15ft of T10 beggared belief, if flew of the rod like a Hurricane fighter jet.

Started off with 2 bullets in the butt then put another 2 in and it just got better and better.

It took a few hours getting used to the rod but by the time it was time for home I could hardly pull myself away.

Well heres a blast from the past, it feels like a lifetime ago that I started on these rods, way back in 2008 to be precise with the final material composition decided upon in 2009.

Its interesting to see that 6yrs down the line the rod is still impressing people. :)

Reaction score

have you tried a 10/11 outbound? even better!
my go to rod, on a 10# scandi or 11# scandi body. unreal.

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

bankwheel

Reaction score
I have owned the 13 footer, great rod, maybe it needs a freshen up by Century and get it back on the market. I have never tried the 12'9" but might get one if it comes up

kenny007

Reaction score
have you tried a 10/11 outbound? even better!
my go to rod, on a 10# scandi or 11# scandi body. unreal.

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

I tried a Guideline 42g F head through it and it was very good too but i still preferred the outbound 9/10.

The RTG skagit was just truly amazing.

Why are you selling it Kenny??

Mike, I have a couple of Marksman S2 rods that i use as my go to rods and bought the Stealth on a bit of a whim but i think i just might hold onto it now as i was really impressed with it. Problem I have is I don't have enough time to fish that justify's the amount of decent quality gear i've accumulated over the years. Nice problem to have i suppose;)

Last edited:

kenny007

Reaction score
I have owned the 13 footer, great rod, maybe it needs a freshen up by Century and get it back on the market. I have never tried the 12'9" but might get one if it comes up

Glyn, if your ever down this way these days you're more than welcome to have a day with mine.

bankwheel

Reaction score
Cheers Kenny, I'm actually down next week and im on the Tay on Saturday, if ive got time I'll give you a shout
Cheers