Century Stealth 12' 9" - 9/10/11

Jock

Reaction score
I’ve notice that Seeking has posted a review on the 13’ Stealth so here is one on the 12’9”.

Tuesday night the baton was handed over and it was my turn to have a swish with one of the first 12’ 9” production models. As I know there has been interest from forum members I thought I would give you my first impressions of this rod as seeking has with the 13’.

Build quality is up there with the very, very best. The composite handle I love; the shape, texture, feel, looks, all great. The reel fitting is the best I’ve used and the fine adjustment screw thread locks the reel firmly in place and is easily unscrewed. Being black at first I found it difficult see the slot for the reel foot to go in but once you know where it is relative to the rod serial number it is straightforward.

Every rod is individually numbered with the same number on each section a nice touch. Not a flashy rod this in any sense of the word, rather a look of assured understatement. A black, satin finished blank with simple black whippings all of which are well done, with only the Century Stealth logo section having the addition of some silver whipping.

The ABC system is stored in the rod tube cap but there is no place to store the threaded rod should you wish to fish with just the end cap in place, an oversight but it is unlikely anyone will fish without the thread being in place. The quality of the engineering on the ABC system again stands out. The rod comes in a typical canvas covered rod tube the inside of which has a four way nylon partition instead of a rod bag. The nylon partition is a bit on the flimsy side and I can’t see it lasting long term.

Overall very, very impressive when compared to rods of similar and higher pricing. Makes you proud when you know it was designed, rolled and built here in the UK.

Today was the first opportunity to cast on water. In a previous TBYB (try before you buy) shop test, the one where you stand in the shop (in my case garden) and give the rod a few wiggles it appeared to show some potential. Testing today was done of my local loch, tomorrow and Saturday it undergoes the true test on a river.

After some balancing I opted for 2 weights in the handle to go along with an Abel Super10 loaded with Rio AFS 9/10 floating shooting head with airflo10’ floating poly and 3’ tippet with some wool on the end.

So away we go, very quickly I realised I was casting something rather special and unique. Stunned by the performance I had to keep casting to make sure it was for real. At this point I should make clear that while I am a reasonably competent caster it ends there, I am no casting guru; I am at best above average (but not by much).

Anyway 25 – 30 yds as easy as anything, 30 – 35 still easy it was only as I was hitting the 40 yd mark that turnover of the polyleader and tippet became a problem. Might have to put 3 bullets in the barrel to help with long distance turnover, for the more weight the more you feel you want to use your bottom hand. Will try tomorrow with 3 weights in. Anyway forget the distance it was the ease at which it could be achieved that was really impressive, I could fish all day with this and have no aches or pains.

I felt I did not come close to putting the rod under pressure; it is if it was saying "is that the best you can do." I did not have a 10/11 shooting head with me but with the 9/10 leaving the rod like a Bat out of Hell and not come close to tapping the rods reserves of power I think it t will be an awesome experience when I do get around to casting a 10/ 11 head on it.

Tomorrow will be the real test as it is taken to the river, but I don’t think my first impression will change. This rod is unbelievably good as a shooting head rod and at under 13’ WOW.

I’ve already given the rod the title “Satan's Temptress”. One fling with this little lady and you will have been lured to the darkside forever with no chance of escape.

Prodigious indeed this rod, I think it will surprise the market I don’t think there is anything out there like it, well not that I know about. If it ever travels across the pond I can see it being a big hit in the PNW never mind here in the UK and in Europe.

Just my thoughts, more to follow after the river trials.

I did take some video footage today but the sun etc means you can't see the line well. If I think it will reveal anything other than my faults, which even I could spot then I'll post it.

OK since I don't think I can be recognised I'll post today little video clip. No comments from either the rod designer or a certain recently appointed Tyne water bailiff who I have on video casting.

[ame=http://s537.photobucket.com/albums/ff338/JockG/2010/?action=view&current=Century129.flv]
[/ame]

The casts shown were in and around 35yds

Cheers,

Jock

Last edited:

Springer

Reaction score
Hi Jock,

Its good to see you are getting on with the little fella, he certainly punches well above his weight.

The 10/11 AFS loads the rod deeper and ultimately gives that bit more distance without the effort needed with the 9/10 even though as you have pointed out its no real effort anyway. Again the Guideline PT's in 10/11 are better for ultimate distance or when your need to swing the heavy gear. On the other hand I often use the 9/10 ones when fishing in the 25-30yd range.

The rod is comfortable with head lengths upto around 55' and lines like the Mach2/55 in 10# and 11# work well along with the Drury Spey 10/11 and the Airflo Delta 10/11.

I really like the rod with a 650 Skagit and our own 620 Scangits.

Be sure to try with all the bullets in the barrel but make sure you keep tight a hold ;)

ps. Nice floor :cool:

fishing_spirit

Reaction score
I must say i like the look of these rod's and going by what this gentleman's
just said about it it make's me what to buy one. when are these rod's on sale and how much do they cost ? ive been looking at some of the thread's
about your rod's and i must say ive heard nothing but good thing's about them. i hear you'll be at the game fair will your rod's be on sale there or
on show where people can try them?

Springer

Reaction score
I must say i like the look of these rod's and going by what this gentleman's
just said about it it make's me what to buy one. when are these rod's on sale and how much do they cost ? ive been looking at some of the thread's
about your rod's and i must say ive heard nothing but good thing's about them. i hear you'll be at the game fair will your rod's be on sale there or
on show where people can try them?

Im hoping to get over to the Loughs Fair on a retailers stand but our first real appearance will be at the Tweed Fair in Kelso 1-2 May. There will be lots of rods to try and the chance to win one every day in our free prize draw.

Prices are here

Rod will be for sale in a couple of weeks or so.

Springer

Reaction score
Jock,

Looking at your relaxed casting style I think the 10/11 heads will suit you even better.

Jock

Reaction score
Update

I can assure you Springer when the camera is on you it is not relaxing for us amateurs

Anyway an update as promised in my first post.

Today I was out fishing with the rod. The river was at 1” above summer low not the best water height to test sunk lines with, so in the end I put on the AFS hover 9/10 just to see how it handled something sunk in a river. Put an extra bullet in the barrel today. Was not disappointed it behaved just as I thought it would from my casting with the floating line on the loch. Yes, had to roll cast to reposition when it had fished round into dead water but that is what I expected. However as I was regularly catching weed under the surface I changed to the proper tackle for the day, namely the AFS 9/10 floater with 10’ intermediate polyleader and a short tippet attached to a small aluminium tube.

Totally effortless like waving a magic wand and you just know there is bags of power in reserve for the days you need a 10/11 head and big heavy flies or if you are into skagit (I’m not) then you will love it. No I did not cast it perfect everytime but that was my fault for sometimes having too much line as the anchor and not the leader.

A couple of others had a cast with it as well. Today the lighting conditions were such I could see the line with the camera. So here is a little video showing us casting the rod. The first two anglers you see had never cast the rod until minutes before the video was taken. Not all their casts or mine were good, indeed to save embarrassment I edited out a couple of the bad ones.

[ame=http://s537.photobucket.com/albums/ff338/JockG/2010/?action=view&current=century129river.flv]
[/ame]

So there you have it. I had a quick cast with the 15’ but will come back to that another time as this thread is about the 12’ 9”

After the others left around 2pm I had a coffee and then decided I would fish on for ½ an hour as I was enjoying casting the rod.

Casting away totally oblivious to any thing or anyone I hear this voice say “ It is a joy to watch such beautiful casting” :eek::eek::eek: It was the voice of the Lord who lives nearby and was out walking his dogs.

We had a pleasant chat and he had cast or two and as he made his leave I started fishing again. It was then that I discovered that Altmor, who used this very rod to catch that gorgeous Springer on the Dee the other week, had not used up all the pheromones that are impregnated into the rod blank during the autoclave procedure. Yep, I was experiencing the pull of a salmon……. A second Springer to the rod?

No, but it is not often you have a Lord as your Ghillie:)

I can honestly recommend you try this rod if you are looking for a light weight, powerful shooting head / skagit rod, and I have not even put a skagit near it. You can just tell the power and action is there, it really is amazing and different but don’t take my word for it. When it comes on the market and you are in the market for a rod like this then TBYB on the river and see if it is for you.

Cheers,

Jock

Last edited:

Springer

Reaction score
Are Lords not meant to have deerhounds or something? Yorkshire Yaps are for old ladies :rolleyes:

Good to see your having fun :)

If anyone esle would like to try this rod then drop me a PM.

Altmor

Reaction score
Jock, that rod will soon have more fish to it's pedigree than half the years old junk poles I've got stacked way at the back of my cupboard :D. It is a real beaut, and so far, has had a fish on two of its three opening trials, so much so, and I never thought I'd see myself doing this, I went out and purchased the Guideline PT Hover/Int and LRL running line today to load up onto a reel permanently :eek:.

Good, level report, basically telling it how it is with the 12'9"er, and glad to see the Lord ghillieing for you, complete with his two cracking looking gun dogs :D:).

Altmor.

Springer

Reaction score
Jock, that rod will soon have more fish to it's pedigree than half the years old junk poles I've got stacked way at the back of my cupboard :D. It is a real beaut, and so far, has had a fish on two of its three opening trials, so much so, and I never thought I'd see myself doing this, I went out and purchased the Guideline PT Hover/Int and LRL running line today to load up onto a reel permanently :eek:.

Good, level report, basically telling it how it is with the 12'9"er, and glad to see the Lord ghillieing for you, complete with his two cracking looking gun dogs :D:).

Altmor.

Welcome to the Darside Gav :eek:

Now we need to talk Scangit ;)

Jock

Reaction score
If anyone esle would like to try this rod then drop me a PM.

Oh sorry Springer I forgot to mention in the rush to get home I accidentely reversed over the rod tube with the rod inside.:eek: Now had you gone for some sort of reinforced tube it might not now be an 8 piece 12' 9" It was a good fit for the recyling bin in 8 pieces. Sorry:D

Altmor

Reaction score
One step at a time Alan .... I was having a laugh with Barra and Davie Bell in GAC today about what running line to get with the hover / int SH, scangits, now that really would have me confused at this stage :D.

I can see my next purchase though might have to be a set of those digital scales so I can start chopping up lines :eek:, just hope there's no police in the shop at the time, in case they think I'm weighing up some other "dark substances" :eek:.

Glad I've gone and done it though as I can genuinely see the benefits at this time of year (and for backend work), when the SH will make the whole process of fishing more enjoyable over the day .... especially as I'm not getting any younger :).

Altmor.

Springer

Reaction score
Glad I've gone and done it though as I can genuinely see the benefits at this time of year (and for backend work), when the SH will make the whole process of fishing more enjoyable over the day .... especially as I'm not getting any younger :).

Altmor.

Aye, keep telling yourself this Gav until Ive got you pulling a 6" Sunray (rolly polly) through McCordies on a full floater :eek:

fishing_spirit

Reaction score
Hi springer i'll be going to the tweed fair not sure what date but i will be there and im really looking forward to having a go with your range of rod's
im not the best at casting but i like to have nice thing's and that sure is a nice bit of kit cant wait to have 1 of my own

Altmor

Reaction score
Aye, keep telling yourself this Gav until Ive got you pulling a 6" Sunray (rolly polly) through McCordies on a full floater :eek:

There you go again Alan, telling me to run before I've just got comfortable with walking :D. You'll be having me put my treasured collection of Hardy Machs on classifieds before the weekend is out :eek:.

As for the sunray in McCordies, never .... that pool (one of the best I've fished), deserves only a Sunset Shrimp through it, on the end of my line - never failed me yet :rolleyes::D:D. Sunrays up at the Narrows, well, that's a different story :).

Altmor.

Last edited:

Altmor

Reaction score
Welcome to the Darside Gav :eek:

Now we need to talk Scangit ;)

Where's my torch. Easier than I'd have thought it would be, adjusting to the "shorter stroke", it's still a "dark place":D .... slowly, slowly .... catchy monkey ;):D:D.

Altmor.

PS. Jock, you're a bad man, a very bad man :D.

Springer

Reaction score
Where's my torch. Easier than I'd have thought it would be, adjusting to the "shorter stroke", it's still a "dark place":D .... slowly, slowly .... catchy monkey ;):D:D.

Altmor.

PS. Jock, you're a bad man, a very bad man :D.

Now your getting the idea Gav, long slow pulls then keep tight a hold...

Springer

Reaction score
Some of us don't count kelts but whatever lights your candle:D

Dont worry Jim your not the only one, I used it before you and managed only 2 kelts and a baggot :eek: Im sure if you had it when there were fish in the river you would put a few notches in the handle soon enough :)

jimthefish

Reaction score
Here, here Jim, that Jock one, he's got no scruples :D. Just out of interest, in one word, your thoughts on the rod .... Good, Bad or Ugly ?

Altmor.

Last Tuesday on the lower Tay I played around testing five different rods including this one. They were from three manufacturers including Loomis & Hardy. Conditions were benign with a slight upstream zephyr.
Interestingly, using a set-up of a 10/11 AFS Hover with 10ft type3 tip & tubefly, I was able to put out the same fishing distance (my usual on big rivers) with this rod as I had just done trying a Loomis 15' GLX & Hardy 15' Demon. Sure I had to alter my stroke & tempo of the cast but it was a bit of a revelation.

So to answer your question : good !

Springer

Reaction score
Here, here Jim, that Jock one, he's got no scruples :D. Just out of interest, in one word, your thoughts on the rod .... Good, Bad or Ugly ?

Altmor.

Last Tuesday on the lower Tay I played around testing five different rods including this one. They were from three manufacturers including Loomis & Hardy. Conditions were benign with a slight upstream zephyr.
Interestingly, using a set-up of a 10/11 AFS Hover with 10ft type3 tip & tubefly, I was able to put out the same fishing distance (my usual on big rivers) with this rod as I had just done trying a Loomis 15' GLX & Hardy 15' Demon. Sure I had to alter my stroke & tempo of the cast but it was a bit of a revelation.

So to answer your question : good !

I know you have seen a lot of good rods over the years Jim and you know what you are talking about. For my Century Stealth to compare so favourably to Loomis and Hardy makes all those countless hours of developement very worthwhile. :)

keirstream

Reaction score
Jock,
some wonderful camera work there.:)
Strangely enough I got a call after leaving you on the water asking me who that was on the river with Jock.:D:D
Dont listen to them Jock, a kelt is indeed a mighty prize and that puts you way ahead of last season already.:rolleyes:
The gentleman with the pair of royal deerhounds was indeed Lord Nixon who is also a member of the Doune Angling Club and owns an estate on the Connon, but then you probably already know that after being invited up to the palace for some aperitifs.:D:D

B.T.W. the 12ft.9in sure is a handy tool.
Would need some more time with the 15ft though.
Found that more difficult to get to grips with.:eek:

Jock

Reaction score
Jock,

Dont listen to them Jock, a kelt is indeed a mighty prize and that puts you way ahead of last season already.:rolleyes:

I had a springer by this time last year. This year only kelts and baggots:(

B.T.W. the 12ft.9in sure is a handy tool.
Would need some more time with the 15ft though.
Found that more difficult to get to grips with.:eek:

It sure is a handy tool. Aye 10mins was not long enough with the 15', if you spent the same time with the rod as you did harling that day on Newtyle you'd be a champion caster with it:D

Cheers,

Jock