Century rods

phatagrova

Reaction score
Having looked at numerous threads regarding the new Century perhaps some of the anglers who bought them could give us an update on the rods now that they have had them a while,
How well do they handle small medium grilse, also regarding the weights in the butt how do you use the weights to balance the rod (how do you know if the rod is balanced)

Last edited:

andyjaffs

Reaction score
Good question, I have been thinking about these rods a bit recently. I look forward to some replies.

auldsalmon

Reaction score
ive got the 13ft 8/9/10 on the 9th sept and have used it on the dee last week properly only used it with shooting heads at the moment you can tell its a guttsy little rod as soon as you pick it up :) it has plenty of power in it . it was windy as feck last week with a downstream wind and it handled the line no bother into the wind :eek: with little effort as for playing fish it was a doodle even my girlfriend landed 3 fish with it ,the:mad: biggest of the week 15lb :cool: as for the weight system it works well you can feel if it needs more weight in it ,if you are having to power into the forward stroke just add another weight and you just need to tap the rod forward to make it fly :D depending on the shooting head weigh :eek: even my auld pal had a go with it and was casting well :eek::eek: if i had to have only one rod it would be this one but thats without trying the other sizes :cool:would recomend have done to my pal ;) newstarter labman ;) hes itching to get one :D :rolleyes: you no you want toooooooooooooooo:D

Last edited:

phatagrova

Reaction score
are the rods designed only for shootings heads or will they take a spey line

auldsalmon

Reaction score
they will take spey lines as well but have no had a go with the spey lines yet :) just into using the shooting heads at the moment

Last edited:

David B

Reaction score
phatagrova

If you look at this thread Century Rods you will see that 'deeceejay' gave feedback on his 13' rod.

I have had the pleasure of using his rod and found it to be an extremely nice bit of kit. Once you have the rod balanced by adjusting the number of weights in the but I found you could cast a line as far as with a 15' rod. With the rod being lighter and well balanced it was not effort to use over a long period. I have just received the 12' 9" rod which I am hoping to use over the next few days, once I have the skagit line set. I must thank Alan Maughan for his advice on which lines to get, will give feedback once I have been out. Will probably look to get the 13' if all goes well.

Mr Fishin

Reaction score
15' BD Rod

I got the 15' Double butt rod and can only give full praise from my point of view.
I've used it with both SH and Spey multi tip lines and all I can say is (when I get the timing right:eek:) "They fly" :D
The hardest thing for me was to get used to slowing down all my actions as they are so bloody powerfull compared to what I was used to.

I've had a few fish ranging from 4lb upto about 8lb and they handled them with ease. I'm just waiting for the double to give them a proper test ;)

For me it's a simple case of "One rod for all jobs"

Nice work Alan.

speers

Reaction score
i have the 14' DB

i must say i do really like it, ive had grilse on it and a 10lb fish last week which i really put alot of pressure on the fish to get it in quick and i really was impressed with the rod.A good fishing rod it defernately is;)
i mainly use the 9/10 but , however i havent had much fishing time with it yet as the water has been so low to really start playing with all types of lines and the two butts.
the balancing system is brilliant and it's great to be able to balance out any reel sytem you have .Also it's fun to play around with the weights in tye back as it makes the rod load properly which then enables you to tune the outfit.

when the rod is balanced it makes for a reely good days fishing as you can hold the rod lightly.
in all im realy pleased with mine.

Bluepearl

Reaction score
Not heard a bad word about the rods, what about the century lines. I use a 2D line just now which i'm happy with but with a few nicks its time to replace it.
Does anyone hve any thoughts on the subject.

Mickj

Reaction score
Hi I have the 12' 9 afs 10/11 line, brill can use for 12 hour no prob, largest fish to on it 9.5lbs a dream to fish with, now have a loomis 15ft sitting in the motor gathering dust.

Jock

Reaction score
Not heard a bad word about the rods, what about the century lines. I use a 2D line just now which i'm happy with but with a few nicks its time to replace it.
Does anyone hve any thoughts on the subject.
I'm more than happy with my Century lines. Replaced my 1D 8/9 with the Century 8/9 and prefer the Century:)