Century rods

Brian Whitelaw

Banned
Reaction score
I know i probably have a 'hard neck' even posting this....:eek:.....as i have yet to catch my first fresh salmon.......but may i ask how these rods perform in the 'field'?.........they have been on the market for a wee while now....and to be honest i am seeing very little up to date reports on them......?

Brian

salmonwormer

Reaction score
century rods

im not going to be as "hard necked" as brian but are the rods available to buy in tackle shops in ireland yet?:D

deeceejay

Reaction score
Century Rods

I can only comment on the 13ft.

I tried it out with a 9 weight 55 ft Mach II and a Century 9/10 56ft head with some wool on the end. Both lines went further and straighter than my usual Z-Axis 15 with a 10 weight 65ft Mach II. However, the century line performed better when polytips of various lengths were attached.

I employed the rod in anger for the first time on the Dee 2 weeks ago. I used the century line without any polytip on day 1 and hooked and lost a salmon. On the following 2 days I added a 14ft slow sink Snowbee polytip to the the Century line. This resulted in several heavy pulls and 2 grilse - 6 lb and 7 lb landed without any dramas.

Throughout the 3 days the rod/line combination was a pleasure to fish with although it took me a couple of hours to get the adjustable weight correct.

If anyone is thinking of buying a 13 ft rod try this one before you part with your cash.

DCJ

DEEROD

Reaction score
i used my 12ft 9 century on my trip to the yokanga and landed a 29lber and a 24lber . The upstream wind was terrible for the 1st 3 days and all i used was the 12ft 9 and a 720 skagit down to t14 tips with tunsten tubes and not a bother . My fishing partner was using a big 16ft rod and my 12ft 9 done every thing his could do .

I played the 2 big fish very hard and the wee rod had plenty more to offer , so all in all i couldnt be happier with it until it got stood on and broken .

I sent it away to be repaired on monday and i'll have it back tomorrow

cant argue with that

Dee

sam7

Reaction score
I tried both the 12ft9 and the 13ft at the LA fair. After a good chat with Alan I decided to treat myself to the 13ft Century Stealth. With the long drought I have only managed to use it seriously on one occasion so far, plus a couple of practice sessions on the local lake.

I don't have much to compare it with as most of my previous fishing was with a single hander, and occasional overhead casting with a double hander. My casting technique is probably not the best:D, but on the odd occasion when I time it right the line really flies out. I have teamed the rod up with matching Century line.

The adjustable balance makes the rod feel really light and it was a real pleasure to fish with over a long day on the river. Unfortunately I have yet to score with the rod, but hope to put that right in the near future.

I'm really happy with this rod, and would recommend anyone in the market for a rod to take up the Century try before you buy offer.

worktofish

Reaction score
i used my 12ft 9 century on my trip to the yokanga and landed a 29lber and a 24lber . The upstream wind was terrible for the 1st 3 days and all i used was the 12ft 9 and a 720 skagit down to t14 tips with tunsten tubes and not a bother . My fishing partner was using a big 16ft rod and my 12ft 9 done every thing his could do .

I played the 2 big fish very hard and the wee rod had plenty more to offer , so all in all i couldnt be happier with it until it got stood on and broken .

I sent it away to be repaired on monday and i'll have it back tomorrow

cant argue with that

Dee
hi deerod repaired or replaced and how much

easky

Reaction score
I tried both the 12ft9 and the 13ft at the LA fair. After a good chat with Alan I decided to treat myself to the 13ft stealth. With the long drought I have only managed to use it seriously on one occasion so far, plus a couple of practice sessions on the local lake.

I don't have much to compare it with as most of my previous fishing was with a single hander, and occasional overhead casting with a double hander. My casting technique is probably not the best:D, but on the odd occasion when I time it right the line really flies out. I have teamed the rod up with matching Century line.

The adjustable balance makes the rod feel really light and it was a real pleasure to fish with over a long day on the river. Unfortunately I have yet to score with the rod, but hope to put that right in the near future.

I'm really happy with this rod, and would recommend anyone in the market for a rod to take up the Century try before you buy offer.

good to meet you the other day Sam and you looked to have certainly got the hang of the rod and line... snap t'ing with the best of them :). Was a tough day fish wise so hopefully next time out there will be more fish about ;)

Last edited:

Fruin

Reaction score
Without a doubt the 13 foot Stealth is the nicest 13 foot rod that I have fished with. My experience of it was limited, but it had a definite wow factor over a wide grain window (range of lines). I would have no hesitation in using it in all but the most extreme conditions.

Springer

Reaction score
im sure i read a review of a century rod in this months fly fishing and fly tying mag.

FF&FT have reviewed the Stealth 12'9 this month, very favorably I might add ;)

Judging by initial sales and user reviews I think this rod will become quite popular to say the least. If you fish with shooting heads then there really isnt any need for a longer heavier rod. I used this rod on Yokanga last week to land 28 fish to 24lb, fishing 8-10 hours each day without any obvious sign of fatigue. It can cast as far as any 15' rod when compared in the same context of say 38'-44' shooting heads yet it doesn't tire you half as much. Playing big fish is also easier and more efficient with a shorter yet still equally powerful rod.

Inisisle

Reaction score
FF&FT have reviewed the Stealth 12'9 this month, very favorably I might add ;)

Judging by initial sales and user reviews I think this rod will become quite popular to say the least. If you fish with shooting heads then there really isnt any need for a longer heavier rod. I used this rod on Yokanga last week to land 28 fish to 24lb, fishing 8-10 hours each day without any obvious sign of fatigue. It can cast as far as any 15' rod when compared in the same context of say 38'-44' shooting heads yet it doesn't tire you half as much. Playing big fish is also easier and more efficient with a shorter yet still equally powerful rod.

28 fish? Excellent stuff and congratulations.
What particular shooting head did you use?

Last edited:

Springer

Reaction score
28 fish? Excellent stuff and congratulations.
What particular shooting head did you use?

Sorry I have just seen this, I used an AFS 10/11 on the 12'9 as well as some prototypes I have been working on.