cats be gone

wormo

Reaction score
I'll not beat around the Bush, cats I cant stand them , not got the time of day for them I wouldn't harm one but today is the last straw they use my garden to **** in and kill birds , last week or so ive had a beautiful pair of bullfinch visit a couple times a day but today a cat killed the female , im pisssed off , any ideas how keep them out grateful
sorry if your a cat lover but that's your choice not for me and not welcome on my land 😡😡😡

Safranfoer

Reaction score
I love cats. But not in my garden. Mine are house cats.

Plant lavender bushes where they go to the toilet. Use pine cones in that area too - on the ground, gather them on walks with the kids. They don’t like the smell or walking on them, and they look quite nice. Get a high powered water pistol but please don’t squirt AT them, just next to them on the ground. You have to keep on top of this though. Cats DO learn, but it takes ages.

Avoid pea gravel as it’s like cat litter.

it’s tricky as a lot of the deterrents will deter wildlife - moving shiny wind things, spiked strips on top of fences (just the plastic ones - metal are cruel).

kingfisher

Reaction score
I use clippings from the rose bushes (thorny) and scatter these on the areas they consider best to leave their erm calling card. Things like orange peel and little hanging scented things one buys from Garden Centres are rubbish.
But I once worked, and this is true, with a Financial Director that was having a terrible time of it with them that he actually managed (don’t know how?) to procure some lion dung from Edinburgh zoo and he had no issues for many a month till the lions stuff washed out.
So I suggest you drive into Blair Drummond safari park When it opens and drive around the lions enclosure till you happen upon a pile and nip out with the wee dust pan and brush.

wormo

Reaction score
A water cannon is the starting point, then a dog.
I have dogs , the bugger done it when we were out walking , that's the two collared doves , a wood pigeon and now a bullfinch been killed in the last 6 months , there's two cats always sneaking about they don't belong to anyone in particular but neighbours feed them , i set the dog on them every time I see them but he's too not fast enough 😄

bluejay

Reaction score
If they are feral cats a live catch box trap will let you move them to a new location, or do something with them. If they are neighbor's cats it's more of a problem and without a dog roaming around that will give chase it will be a difficult thing. They come round our place at night, but they don't get birds at night, but probably get mice, which is good with me.

Stewart4wd

Reaction score
I'll not beat around the Bush, cats I cant stand them , not got the time of day for them I wouldn't harm one but today is the last straw they use my garden to **** in and kill birds , last week or so ive had a beautiful pair of bullfinch visit a couple times a day but today a cat killed the female , im pisssed off , any ideas how keep them out grateful
sorry if your a cat lover but that's your choice not for me and not welcome on my land 😡😡😡
Your post made me laugh Wormo, I had an ongoing battle with cats for ages which became an obsession much to the amusement of my Mrs and my daughter!
I like cats but they kept crapping in my veg beds which infuriated me. The tipping point was when one day I covered my raised bed with a net only to go out the following morning to find they’d crapped on top of it! 😡
My Mrs nearly died laughing!
After falling out with the cat owning neighbours and being dissuaded from shooting them I eventually found what I called the “cat cannon“. I cant remember where I got it but it was about £60 I think. It’s basically a directional sprinkler with a presence detector built in to it so when something walks past it gets a blast of water. Nothing more satisfying than hearing it going off in the middle of the night and a cat screeching in shock!
It bloody works though, literally cured the problem in two nights. It’s still in the loft should it be needed again.

Walleye

Reaction score
One of them water pistols will do the trick if you get them a couple of times they'll soon think twice.
Your post made me laugh Wormo, I had an ongoing battle with cats for ages which became an obsession much to the amusement of my Mrs and my daughter!
I like cats but they kept crapping in my veg beds which infuriated me. The tipping point was when one day I covered my raised bed with a net only to go out the following morning to find they’d crapped on top of it! 😡
My Mrs nearly died laughing!
After falling out with the cat owning neighbours and being dissuaded from shooting them I eventually found what I called the “cat cannon“. I cant remember where I got it but it was about £60 I think. It’s basically a directional sprinkler with a presence detector built in to it so when something walks past it gets a blast of water. Nothing more satisfying than hearing it going off in the middle of the night and a cat screeching in shock!
It bloody works though, literally cured the problem in two nights. It’s still in the loft should it be needed again.
That'll do it! Have you got a link?

Walleye

Reaction score
Oh, I've got cats. The motion activated thing is not for them, they sh1t in the cat litter tray in the house.
It's for the scrotes who insist on checking most nights if my garage doors and car doors are all safely locked up.
They did pause briefly during lockdown but they're at it again.

goosander

Reaction score
To me the only good cat is a dead one or one that the OWNER keeps in there own garden. I do not let my dogs sh-t in others gardens or were people walk and dispose of the crap in a responsible way.
Bob.

Rrrr

Reaction score
My old english bull keeps them out of the garden. She would get a hiding if the cats turned on her as shes a big softy.
Ive got a bad allergy to cats and always worry that they will get in the house if the back doors open as i end up with eyes swolen closed and coverd in itchy skin thingys untill the alergy tablets kick in

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

barisaxman

Reaction score
Stourport on Severn. Originally from Solihull
Well, I have a cat who only s**** in our garden, has caught 1 bird in 4 years and I have a feeling it was probably dead when she found it... The gulls, magpies, sparrowhawk and crows however have been decimating the bird stocks round here for ages. We had a pair of gulls tearing a fledgling appart on my neighbours roof the other day.... but that's ok isn't it?