Catch Stats 2018

iainmortimer

Reaction score
The spring catch seems to be holding well
up over the past 10 yrs looking at the stats, so that's a bit of good news:)

While C&R fishing is to be encouraged due to the falling numbers of fish, I find it slightly annoying that the report expresses that it is ‘disappointing’ that only 43% of recreationally caught salmon were returned while reporting a 25% drop in commercial catches just before hand. It’s no wonder recreational anglers are not encouraged when commercials are still allowed to remove so many fish - the far greater impact. So much more is done to protect the bass fisheries that you’d think more would be done for salmon.

Loxie

Reaction score
While C&R fishing is to be encouraged due to the falling numbers of fish, I find it slightly annoying that the report expresses that it is ‘disappointing’ that only 43% of recreationally caught salmon were returned while reporting a 25% drop in commercial catches just before hand. It’s no wonder recreational anglers are not encouraged when commercials are still allowed to remove so many fish - the far greater impact. So much more is done to protect the bass fisheries that you’d think more would be done for salmon.

With Bass reducing adult mortality will have a direct impact on future stocks, whereas this is not the case with salmon. Very few salmon spawn successfully and very few adults are required to produce all the smolts a system can feed. If IFI really want more salmon they need to address the real issues: pollution, especially from agriculture, abstraction, obstruction and salmon farming. Closing fisheries or imposing CCR will not create a single extra salmon anywhere.

yellowbelly

Reaction score
Have to agree with points above. When you look at the actual reported harvest, rods took approx 60% and the nets took 40%.
But imho these are small numbers nationally and and mask the real problems. Although nets will unfortunately have an impact on specific rivers.

Salmon are an environmentally sensitive fish and this requires the catchment of the river, and sea, to be in good condition for all parts of it's life cycle.

A change in angler's attitude towards more catch and release isn't going to improve salmon stocks in the Erne, Shannon or east coast rivers, it's going to need a change in their environment.

Look at how the char quietly disappeared in most loughs because of environmental (eutrophication) pressures. No big fish kill with thousands reported dead, just quietly, when you go looking for them they're not there anymore.

Last edited:

Al1978

Reaction score
To be honest I dont think we as recreational anglers can blame commercial fishermen for the fall in numbers of salmon I know they take a certain percentage of fish every year but there have been commercial netsmen doing this for hundreds if not thousands of years on our estuaries its only in the last 40 years that the numbers of fish have dwindled.anyone who cant see that its modern human living with intensive agriculture and aquaculture and pollution along with commercial nets at sea is blind

iainmortimer

Reaction score
To be honest I dont think we as recreational anglers can blame commercial fishermen for the fall in numbers of salmon I know they take a certain percentage of fish every year but there have been commercial netsmen doing this for hundreds if not thousands of years on our estuaries its only in the last 40 years that the numbers of fish have dwindled.anyone who cant see that its modern human living with intensive agriculture and aquaculture and pollution along with commercial nets at sea is blind

I agree will this and all similar comments. My point is more surprise at a disjointed approach for either everyone needs to take less or no one. It’s wrong to single out one group when tying to get a sustainability message across.

Al1978

Reaction score
The problems should be looked after by governments and politicians but the problem with that is there is too much money involved in all these industries and money talks I think that it will be too late for a lot of natural habitats and species before humans realise they are the worst vermin that this planet has ever seen

(Smolt)

Reaction score
Look at how the char quietly disappeared in most loughs because of environmental (eutrophication) pressures. No big fish kill with thousands reported dead, just quietly, when you go looking for them they're not there anymore.

I would agree with this completely, an aggressive fish kill has far greater impact and public concern than the measured decline of a species. People who frequent rivers can see the change but it can be difficult to raise the issue for change when the decline is like a ghost which cannot be seen or grasped.

FaughanPurple

Reaction score
With Bass reducing adult mortality will have a direct impact on future stocks, whereas this is not the case with salmon. Very few salmon spawn successfully and very few adults are required to produce all the smolts a system can feed. If IFI really want more salmon they need to address the real issues: pollution, especially from agriculture, abstraction, obstruction and salmon farming. Closing fisheries or imposing CCR will not create a single extra salmon anywhere.

Agree 100% Loxie, No it won't.

But try telling this to the people hell bent on supporting reductions in tags and even calling for 100% C&R here on the Foyle at the moment.

Turkeys voting for Christmas, twice in the one year ;) :D

We need full scale environmental change to even stand a chance of fishing in 50 years time

Loxie

Reaction score
Agree 100% Loxie, No it won't.

But try telling this to the people hell bent on supporting reductions in tags and even calling for 100% C&R here on the Foyle at the moment.

Turkeys voting for Christmas, twice in the one year ;) :D

We need full scale environmental change to even stand a chance of fishing in 50 years time

We have suffered a long decline in the West Country and in spite of the obvious damage caused by agricultural pollution the EA's only strategy is to reduce the numbers of people fishing, thus removing the last layer of people who care about our rivers and fish. 25 years ago the Exe was the most productive salmon river in England now catches are about 10% of what they were.

FaughanPurple

Reaction score
We have suffered a long decline in the West Country and in spite of the obvious damage caused by agricultural pollution the EA's only strategy is to reduce the numbers of people fishing, thus removing the last layer of people who care about our rivers and fish. 25 years ago the Exe was the most productive salmon river in England now catches are about 10% of what they were.

How has the local tackle industry held up in the same time?

Reaction score
It’s incredible that after decades of decline the sole response remains to reduce exploitation by anglers.
Having read the transcripts of the proceedings to introduce compulsory catch and release in Wales there seems to be a deliberate policy to reduce game angler numbers as they are the only individuals aware of the ineptitude of the policies being pursued by those tasked with the protection of salmon.
Already in Wales, the authorities have reneged on commitments to reduce agricultural pollution, introduced in tandem with restrictions on anglers. The restrictions on anglers will, however, remain.

Loxie

Reaction score
How has the local tackle industry held up in the same time?

It has but only because game shooting is massive down here and the best tackle shop on the river has become more shooting and less fishing. Other shops are predominantly coarse and or sea fishing.

FaughanPurple

Reaction score
It has but only because game shooting is massive down here and the best tackle shop on the river has become more shooting and less fishing. Other shops are predominantly coarse and or sea fishing.

Lucky they've the scope to diversify then.

I'd fear for the smaller local tackle dealers in our towns tbh.