Catch Stats 2017

Nigel Rush

Reaction score
Love to know who is catching fish on the Dawros by 'prawn or shrimp' when there is a 'fly only bye law'. Whoever has admitted to this is never taken to task by IFI who have the evidence of guilt right in front of there eyes. There is always a few chancers out there!

nore fly

Reaction score
Two fish killed on the nore by admission...the river is c&r.....

GeeBee

Reaction score
Two fish killed on the nore by admission...the river is c&r.....

1095 salmon taken on the Nore ?

I thought their run was near on dead ? - its the 3rd largest by some measures, after the Blackwater & Moy

Pages 16 and 17 were interesting. Many more salmon returned and no drift nets anymore but still sharply lower salmon returns. It proves it is at-sea and habitat issues. We have to press the IFI on dam removal and spawning .

The angler licenses were interesting too - huge jump in US anglers, probably due to the decline of the Canadian fishery ?

Despite tge lack of water, some better numbers overall on the Bandon and Blackwater.

Nore Angler

Reaction score
2017 was a very good year on the Nore. 2016 was OK. 2012 was the only good year before that. And last year was a write off, for obvious reasons.

nore fly

Reaction score
1095 salmon taken on the Nore ?

I thought their run was near on dead ? - its the 3rd largest by some measures, after the Blackwater & Moy

Pages 16 and 17 were interesting. Many more salmon returned and no drift nets anymore but still sharply lower salmon returns. It proves it is at-sea and habitat issues. We have to press the IFI on dam removal and spawning .

The angler licenses were interesting too - huge jump in US anglers, probably due to the decline of the Canadian fishery ?

Despite tge lack of water, some better numbers overall on the Bandon and Blackwater.
Hi it's not in 3rd postion ..it's behind moy Blackwater corrib suir ballysdare. So 6th postion ...And two of those ahead of it are nearly two beat fisheries ..also lrish licence numbers continue to fall...the laune gets a big commercial hammering

lax0341

Reaction score
I don‘t understand why such a beautiful river with such a potential like the Laune is still fished with commercial nets .

Slaneybs

Reaction score
The Slaney was closed that year and we had the best run of fish in 15 years. I see 61 fish returned as caught despite the river being closed - we were allowed to fish for seatrout and brownies!
If all the salmon actually landed that year had been reported we would have had one of the highest catches in years. All I can say is that while I reported all of my bye catch (on trout gear) the actual overall catch is very significantly under recorded despite minimal rod effort (except for the poachers who did rather well due to the lack of competition from legitimate anglers).

Marcus c

Reaction score
The commercial nets were stopped a few years ago and a huge run of fish occurred with the average size of rod caught fish way up. The powers that be decided that that the laune system run of fish could easily support a "small bit" of commercial netting and so we ended up back where we started because of this twisted logic.

Marcus c

Reaction score
Quote"Local fishermen have traditionally netted salmon in killorglin for generations" Burning witches was also a tradition for generations. A few people have a vested interest in this profitable enterprise and unless people speak up _greed will wipe out this fishery.Nobody knows how many fish are taken by these nets as it is virtually impossible to patrol as there are hundreds of miles of rivers to patrol in the kerry region alone.