Castle Grant Beat 1

MCXFisher

Reaction score
Is there anyone on the Forum with experience of fishing Castle Grant Beat 1 in September? It's proving very difficult to find relevant information on catches and longer-term averages, so any information would be most welcome.

williegunn2

Reaction score
Read the Spey report on the Spey Fishery Board website.
Lionel Main the Castle Grant Head Gillie has just died last week, his funeral is on Monday.

MCXFisher

Reaction score
Malcolm,

thank you. Other than the sad report of the death of their Head Ghillie I was unable to find any mention of Castle Grant in terms of catches and fishing in the past 6 weeks.

williegunn2

Reaction score
Malcolm,

thank you. Other than the sad report of the death of their Head Ghillie I was unable to find any mention of Castle Grant in terms of catches and fishing in the past 6 weeks.
Did you wonder why? The head gillie has been seriously ill for most of the season, but hang on surely he could drag his seriously ill body to the internet to report on the catches on his beats.

Read the reports on the rest of the river, none of the Beats are catching much so using a bit of extrapolation how do you think a beat fairly high up the river will be fishing? Do you think they are hauling them out?

MCXFisher

Reaction score
Malcolm,
I had assumed that they weren’t but just wanted some confirmatory cross bearings before reaching a decision.

Roag Fisher

Reaction score
CG1 is the best of the three beats in low water.
Do the lottery if you see anything other than kippers, never mind catch silver (the reports Malcolm mentioned show the run dried up a month ago).
Some nice pools on the beat and a bit of fun to be had if it rains. Otherwise it will be very hard going.

P!scator

Reaction score
Mike, I wouldn't recommend fishing much above Aberlour after August, the fish on the Spey really go off the take by then. Will get fish on the back of a spate up there but they go dour again very quickly & are all older fish

SS1963

Reaction score
Roag Fisher and Piscator many thanks for your very clear and most useful replies.

Is there anyone on the Forum with experience of fishing Castle Grant Beat 1 in September? It's proving very difficult to find relevant information on catches and longer-term averages, so any information would be most welcome.
Fished it for the past 10 years or so and a lovely beat. Fishes great in low water too so never any real worries as to whether you'll be fishing or not. September wise yes, the majority of fish will be coloured but I have had fresh ones too given water. Fished there last week and had a few and none were absolute kippers. Loads of pools and fishing to go at, easy access up a track for the majority of the beat and a comfortable hut. Great gillies on all the CG beats. If you are after a nice beat for the fly, you won't go far wrong

Roag Fisher

Reaction score
Fished it for the past 10 years or so and a lovely beat. Fishes great in low water too so never any real worries as to whether you'll be fishing or not. September wise yes, the majority of fish will be coloured but I have had fresh ones too given water. Fished there last week and had a few and none were absolute kippers. Loads of pools and fishing to go at, easy access up a track for the majority of the beat and a comfortable hut. Great gillies on all the CG beats. If you are after a nice beat for the fly, you won't go far wrong
Got pictures of the non kippers?

Pollowick

Reaction score
I have fished CG 1, 2 & 3 for nearly 30 years.
Did you wonder why? The head gillie has been seriously ill for most of the season, but hang on surely he could drag his seriously ill body to the internet to report on the catches on his beats.
I think that comment was un-called for. Having known Lionel and his team for all that time, he was never one to shirk his responsibilities when he was fit and well. As ity happens it is the policy NOT to report their catches on commercial sites - the Spey Board get them and the factors office will tell you.

I have taken fresh fish in September as well as slightly coloured - on on visit in September we landed 30 fish from one beat in around 4 days.

williegunn2

Reaction score
I have fished CG 1, 2 & 3 for nearly 30 years.

I think that comment was un-called for. Having known Lionel and his team for all that time, he was never one to shirk his responsibilities when he was fit and well. As ity happens it is the policy NOT to report their catches on commercial sites - the Spey Board get them and the factors office will tell you.

I have taken fresh fish in September as well as slightly coloured - on on visit in September we landed 30 fish from one beat in around 4 days.
Did it cross your mind I was being sarcastic?
As a previous reporter for the Spey Board I am aware of GC reporting, there have been no reports this season, nothing since I stopped reporting.

Scierra

Reaction score
CG beat 1 used to be let to Grantown AA ? or was it upper C G ? if so 4 CG beats

Pollowick

Reaction score
CG beat 1 used to be let to Grantown AA ? or was it upper C G ? if so 4 CG beats

Upper CG is leased to the Strathspey Angling Association, although from memory, at times the estate did lease it privately for some of teh time. CG1 has not, as far as I can remember, been anything but a private beat.