Casting with Guideline LXi Switch

(Smolt)

Reaction score

Picked up a Guideline LXi Switch 11ft6 #8/9 and couldn't wait to get out for a cast. This rod is really a small double hander and that's what I am going to use it as, really light though. I'm using a DDC 21gram shooting head on it. Going full circle and I am back casting the lighter heads and getting on with them. I always wondered how these scandi lads cast the lighter heads but I have found that it is just down to technique and also crucially the setup. A single spey setup is probably the trickiest to master but personally I would say the most important part of your cast. All aspects are crucial but I just find I focus on the setup more than any other part of the casting process.

Please I am not being pompous or anything, I just really enjoy casting and I know a few other lads like it too so I am just sharing my technique and observations, if anyone can pick up a few tips or techniques from the video, happy days! I know it is low water casting but actually the wind was very strong so you can see the benefit of the V loop which I hope I am demonstrating. The setup is crucial for performing this. Hope yis enjoy!:)

Last edited:

GrannyKing

Reaction score
Great video Liam very nice 11'6 for 8/9 sounds like a little powerhouse very keen to try a switch rod myself.

(Smolt)

Reaction score
nice casting , nice smooth anchor placement,but show us some directional changes ,

I would, if I had a bigger river! Its my handiest area to practice, although I have found another one but it is too difficult to make out the line and what it is doing from footage as there is no contrast in the background, even when I am practicing there I cannot really make out what my loop is doing as the line is lost to the bright sky. But its true, it is very different when doing a change in direction and actually fishing! I am doing an upper body rotation which is the main ingredient to a change of direction, I think!

(Smolt)

Reaction score
Great video Liam very nice 11'6 for 8/9 sounds like a little powerhouse very keen to try a switch rod myself.

You could single handed cast that model but I wouldn't, I like it for open water spey casts. It is a wee powerhouse though.:)

(Smolt)

Reaction score
How does it compare with the LPXE?

That model is a quite powerful and I would say more powerful than the Lpxe 7/8 that I have. Its a lovely light rod too. Trumps the Lpxe to be honest but I suppose it would want to, you don't want to be going backwards!:)

bros

Reaction score
Great stuff mate, enjoy watching your effortless casting along with your good anchor, would be great if the frames could slowed right down so my wee brain could study it.
Agree a wee bit with jimmylong, would be good to see a change of direction cast, would be great to see 45 up to 90 degree casting, I know impossible on that particular river. I did enjoy it though.:D
How far are you casting?

Well done, keep em coming

Bobby

Last edited:

(Smolt)

Reaction score
Great stuff mate, enjoy watching your effortless casting along with your good anchor, would be great if the frames could slowed right down so my wee brain could study it.
Agree a wee bit with jimmylong, would be good to see a change of direction cast, would be great to see 45 up to 90 degree casting, I know impossible on that particular river. I did enjoy it though.:D
How far are you casting?

Well done, keep em coming

Bobby

I have something to work towards then, bigger casting area and change of direction, check!
Shooting maybe 10-15 metres of line excluding the head? This rod can throw the line further but didn't want to catch too many squirrels!;)

Eminem

Reaction score
Not likely to be a fish or two lying under those trees in the shade?
Need more water?

(Smolt)

Reaction score
Not likely to be a fish or two lying under those trees in the shade?
Need more water?

More water and probably more fish to be honest! Never encountered one there but there is a nice deep little channel. Its like fishing for Springers the year round on my local though!:rolleyes: