Casting on the Deveron

westie4566

Reaction score
Nowt wrong with your casting. However I would say your wading too deep. Were it me I'd have been tucked right into the bank there. The Deveron isn't a big river.

Final point...you're braver than me posting a video of your casting:p. Well done for that.:D

Becksbier

Reaction score
Nowt wrong with your casting. However I would say your wading too deep. Were it me I'd have been tucked right into the bank there. The Deveron isn't a big river.

Final point...you're braver than me posting a video of your casting:p. Well done for that.:D

Was this posted on Facebook yesterday? Vimeo is at the usual stuttering with me and after about 5 seconds, I lose interest. I F'#*ing hate Vimeo! Anyway, bonny casting and if I could achieve what you were throwing out, I'd be more than happy. I'm the same as Westie, I hate being watched, but when I'm in the zone, it's a different ballgame (couldn't give 2 monkeys). Doesn't happen often though. Haha.

Last edited:

Springer

Reaction score
Tidy casting P!scator, even if Dex makes a good point regarding body and d-loop alignment.

It wouldn't bother me to be wading where you are, judging by the length of your cast the fish you are targeting wont be worrying about the gentle shuffling of your feet, its not like your Riverdancing during the swing and so it looks stealthy enough for me. I bet its a nice pool with another foot or so on it.

Eminem

Reaction score
Enjoyed that. With such a high quality picture generated by the camera a wee bit of fish spotting could have been done as well :)

Which beat? Below Turriff?

Paul White

Reaction score
My only comment apart from nice casting, is maybe a lighter set up with such low water?

12/13' rod perhaps with 7/8 or 8/9 line? 9/10 a bit on the "ropey" side.

Just nitpicking though;);)

Paul

P!scator

Reaction score
Tidy casting P!scator, even if Dex makes a good point regarding body and d-loop alignment.

It wouldn't bother me to be wading where you are, judging by the length of your cast the fish you are targeting wont be worrying about the gentle shuffling of your feet, its not like your Riverdancing during the swing and so it looks stealthy enough for me. I bet its a nice pool with another foot or so on it.

Cheers Alan, good to get positive comments from a pro:). not really obvious on the video but my wading position is deliberate, I'm on a slight whale back and the gravel behind is very silty, also the run is only 2-3 ft deep and the fly was at risk of hooking up on the gravel as it came into my side. as you say I was being as stealthy as possible and putting the fly ~30yds from my position

P!scator

Reaction score
Enjoyed that. With such a high quality picture generated by the camera a wee bit of fish spotting could have been done as well :)

Which beat? Below Turriff?

Cheers, there were fish running through and occasionally showing in the run, my mate flying the drone got a grilse in the run earlier that day, Is Glennie house beat between Huntly and Turriff

As you say great quality footage, there's a 'false redd' at my side of the stream, you can see it just below my rod tip around half way through the video

P!scator

Reaction score
My only comment apart from nice casting, is maybe a lighter set up with such low water?

12/13' rod perhaps with 7/8 or 8/9 line? 9/10 a bit on the "ropey" side.

Just nitpicking though;);)

Paul

Yep, agree, was thinking that when saw the water, I've a 13" #8 which would have been a bit more subtle with a double taper - left it at home:(

tony considine

Reaction score
42" spring fish

I thought a few might be interested in where the 42" spring fish was caught.
At the top of the picture you will see a large rock and a length of reeds,just round the bend. The flow tightens there before going into the House pool,a big flat pool. There isn't much of an increase in flow,you may even have to work your fly slightly. I have had salmon there in the dark. That is where the big fish was caught.
The fish was genuine enough, I was talking to Robbie Brown who knows the angler who caught it. He had to kill a fish earlier in the week which went belly up on him,and he wasn't happy about it. He was desperate to get the big fish back in the water,so just measured it and returned it.
t.c.

rm100

Reaction score
Wheres the film of you catching a fish??:rolleyes::rolleyes:
You wont see any film of him catching fish wading through low water like that, the fish are well tucked away as soon as he set his clumsy feet in the water...
A wee 12ft rod and a bit of stealth...

You would be better off wi your drone practicing on a loch :D:D:D:D