Casting my Century Stealth on the Spey

Springer

Reaction score
Lots of things were nice Paul but here's a small tip that will help.

In both the single spey you used to change direction and then the jump roll you used for your final delivery you anchor was too far out in front of you, it needs to come further back towards to your top hand shoulder. Pull that anchor back further during the sweep so it lands level with your right shoulder and about a rods length out to your right, it was far enough out from you but could have easily came 10'-15' further back. This makes your d-loop bigger, your anchor smaller with more weight behind the rod tip to increase rod load and ultimately ease casting effort or increase distance.

The reason this is happening is that you are facing more downstream towards the dangle than across to where you intend to cast. Dont think about foot position here, God gave you your very own pointer, its directly between your hips, point it at the target you are casting towards, your hips and shoulders will then follow and then let your feel find their own comfortable place on the river bed. :)

Paul White

Reaction score
Lots of things were nice Paul but here's a small tip that will help.

In both the single spey you used to change direction and then the jump roll you used for your final delivery you anchor was too far out in front of you, it needs to come further back towards to your top hand shoulder. Pull that anchor back further during the sweep so it lands level with your right shoulder and about a rods length out to your right, it was far enough out from you but could have easily came 10'-15' further back. This makes your d-loop bigger, your anchor smaller with more weight behind the rod tip to increase rod load and ultimately ease casting effort or increase distance.

The reason this is happening is that you are facing more downstream towards the dangle than across to where you intend to cast. Dont think about foot position here, God gave you your very own pointer, its directly between your hips, point it at the target you are casting towards, your hips and shoulders will then follow and then let your feel find their own comfortable place on the river bed. :)

Would you agree Alan, that if Paul bought the anchor back further (10-15' as you say), and faced the direction of delivery, then he would/should not need his false cast?

Paul

Springer

Reaction score
Would you agree Alan, that if Paul bought the anchor back further (10-15' as you say), and faced the direction of delivery, then he would/should not need his false cast?

Paul

Yes, the additional jump roll is a waste of energy IMHO yet I see it is very common with a lot of Scandinavian casters. Its usually done to solve a problem some casters have with direction changes

If you get your hips pointing in the right direction and rotate the body then a single spey or the underhand cast as some call it is all you need 99% of the time. I would however say that a straight line jump roll (or forward spey as some call it) will usually give most people an extra yard or two in ultimate distance as its easier to get maximum tension in the d-loop and better anchor placement and d-loop alignment for some.

Paul White

Reaction score
That Jump Roll also does not do a great deal for stealth either!

Bit like lots of false casting with a single hander only worse I would suggest as you are landing a heavy fly with a splash!

Paul

compagnito

Banned
Reaction score
That Jump Roll also does not do a great deal for stealth either!

Bit like lots of false casting with a single hander only worse I would suggest as you are landing a heavy fly with a splash!

Paul

aye weeell given that he's already caught I cannae see that he's behind the curve.

a braw river, a braw rad and the cast is one of an available arsenal, and he isnae the only wan tae use it.

JA_Stanton

Banned
Reaction score
Compy, I doubt Jock is using a 13ft rod with an AFS (the easiest casting line in the world) in that video. What Springer said is correct.
Even if you are struggling to get fast tips and tungsten flies up to make your anchor you should make a roll downstream first and then into your single spey.

Reaction score
I don't think Jock has the stealth problem given as his final cast is a long way from where his 'false cast' was.
If I ever need a roll cast to get heavy tips and tubes to the surface I always do this downstream then go from there. Purely for the stealth reasons.

compagnito

Banned
Reaction score
Compy, I doubt Jock is using a 13ft rod with an AFS (the easiest casting line in the world) in that video. What Springer said is correct.
Even if you are struggling to get fast tips and tungsten flies up to make your anchor you should make a roll downstream first and then into your single spey.

1. I didn't say anywhere that Springer was not correct
2. Casting is casting whether a 13 or a 17
3. Surely it is a matter of opinion what the easiest casting line is, I have two AFS lines and thus far havenae been knocked out. the new tracker multi might be good on my 9/10 rods. naff colour. If you asked me I'd say a wee Monteith multi was the best casting line.
4. Assuming it's a single spey you're trying to dae, not a wee jumpy.

Grilse Boy

Reaction score
Hi thanks' for the tips Springer the wind that day was changing all the time so in those conditions I like keeping the flee away from my body as far as possible someone once said I need to do it this way and he hooked his waders twice while showing me :cool: :cool:But I take on board what you say awesome tool for casting in any conditions though .:cool::cool::cool:

Denfield Bud

Reaction score
Aye to have money

Hi thanks' for the tips Springer the wind that day was changing all the time so in those conditions I like keeping the flee away from my body as far as possible someone once said I need to do it this way and he hooked his waders twice while showing me :cool: :cool:But I take on board what you say awesome tool for casting in any conditions though .:cool::cool::cool:

Wish I could afford one,I'm quite sure you will be firing it oot with a single swish by mid season.

Last edited: