Casting in the Garden?

chriswjx

Reaction score
So I've noticed that some folk will say "just had a cast with the rod out in the garden". Just wondering how this is actually done with a double hand rod? Is it all just overhead casting, or is there a way to actually get a suitable load on the rod to practice spey casting?

Cheers,
Chris

iainmortimer

Reaction score
You could tie a leader with lots of knots and long tags to try and emulate the water grab but its never the same. You can get an idea of the rod flex though and how it feels in hand.

MCXFisher

Reaction score
For practising Spey casting, use very strong nylon for a grass leader - around 30lbs BS if you have some. Tie a double blood or u ni knot every 10-12", and leave both tags at least 3-4". The shorter the grass, the longer the tag you need to get a grip. On the far end attach a short twist of garden wire about the same weight as a #6-8 double fly.

If you don't use the tagged leader you will keep on blowing the anchor, even with minimum effort.

Scierra

Reaction score
Ok for over head casting on a lawn/garden but spey and roll casting is a non starter wasted effort imo , you just don't get the right grip , its not your leader that grips the water its your last 3 to 4 yards of your line,

firefly

Reaction score
I've done it for years, never had problems with it. Good for muscle memory and left/right mirroring. I used an old rod, old line, an old plastic tube fly and a gold bead to stop it. My "grass" rod stayed in the garden summer and winter, tucked under the roof overhang, and always ready for a couple of spey casts.

nickolas

Reaction score
Drop the line onto the grass further back than you would normally when creating the D loop With a jump single spey.

chrishconnolly

Reaction score
Do exactly the same as if you were trout casting add a couple of pieces of red wool to the end of the strong leader.
Soak the wool to add a little more weight and help with the anchor.
Easy enough to both roll cast and Spey cast once this wind abates lol