Cascades - Your Choice

TAG190589

Reaction score
Tied these two cascades today to try and see what people's preferences are regarding original and variants

The dressings are listed below:

Original Cascade:
Hook - Mustad single size 10
Thread - Black uni 8/0
Tag - Oval silver tinsel
Tail - Yellow and orange bucktail with Krystal flash
Rear body - Flat silver tinsel
Front body - Black Uni floss
Rib - Oval silver tinsel
Wing - *Black arctic runner
Hackle 1 - Yellow cock
Hackle 2 - Orange cock

I know arctic runner wasn't in the original bits it a lot easier to tie in than black squirrel!

Modified Cascade:
Hook - Mustad single size 10
Thread - Black uni 8/0
Tag 1 - Oval silver tinsel
Tag 2 - Emarald green flat tinsel
Tail - Yellow and orange bucktail with Krystal flash and Krystal mirror flash
Rear body - Flat silver tinsel
Front body - Black Uni floss
Rib - Oval silver tinsel
Wing - *Black arctic runner
Hackle 1 - Yellow cock
Hackle 2 - Orange cock
Cheeks - Jungle cock

The question is if your stood by the river and had to choose, which one are you tying to your leader?

I've photographed them on black and white to hopefully make the differences easier to spot.

All the best,

Tom

Sent from my ANE-LX1 using Tapatalk

ArchieL

Reaction score
Bottom one (y) Like to see my JC just slightly higher up (10 & 2 oclock) rather than 9 & 3 on the side, only my fly OCD , lovely flies.

Coneheads

Reaction score
I cannot see the point of the upper black floss on the body when JC is added ? as it is hardly visible ,
I never tied JC in the variable dressings of a Cascade type dressing anyway , always dressed them all silver, all gold & all copper bodies,

Geordieboy

Reaction score
Bloody Hell! I've just tied my first 3 flies last night (being a newbie to salmon fishing), and it was a Dunkeld Cascade. Everything was going well until I tried to stack the Black Bucktail. Try as I might...….. it just would not play ball. My third attempt came out okay, but I was told to try squirrel or fox for the black wing instead of Bucktail.

Lovely patterns by the way and neatly tied. I like the TOP one minus the J.C. You can see the darker shoulder of the pattern this way, (For what little my opinion counts saying as I haven't caught a salmon yet)!!!

TAG190589

Reaction score
Bloody Hell! I've just tied my first 3 flies last night (being a newbie to salmon fishing), and it was a Dunkeld Cascade. Everything was going well until I tried to stack the Black Bucktail. Try as I might...….. it just would not play ball. My third attempt came out okay, but I was told to try squirrel or fox for the black wing instead of Bucktail.

Lovely patterns by the way and neatly tied. I like the TOP one minus the J.C. You can see the darker shoulder of the pattern this way, (For what little my opinion counts saying as I haven't caught a salmon yet)!!!
Hi Geordieboy, I would personally say that you would find fox a lot easier than both bucktail or squirrel. Make sure you use plenty of wax and the pinch and loop method of putting the hair on and this should be easier. I would recommend as many do on here to watch Davie Mcphail on YouTube. I don't like to think how many countless hours I've spent watching him but you do pick up a fair few tips and tricks along the way.

I think there's a lot more satisfaction in catching a fish on a fly you've tied yourself so keep at it. Unfortunately there's not substitute for regular practice! Tight lines, Tom

TAG190589

Reaction score
Thanks very much to all for the positive and constructive feedback.

It seems that most favour the original dressing, I suppose if it isn't broken don't fix it, although I'll be taking both to Little Blackhall and Inchmarlo in 4 weeks!

Onto the next pattern, all the best.

Tom