Carham - Canal or Streamy??

kingfishben

Reaction score
hi all,
tinterweb given limited info and/or pics for Carham so hoping Tweed locals with knowledge of the beat or anglers with experience of fishing Carham could give an opinion on the claims within accuracy of the descriptions on *ishpal or T-beats.
Both describe the beat as having a a high proportion of streamy water? passed beat on route many a time but never really thought of it as streamy stuff. Be grateful if those in the know could shed any light and offer general opinion
Regards
Ben

Oscar

Reaction score
Fishpal also thinks Hesleyside is a good beat with 3 good pools, etc. but unless the water is high it is basically unfishable!

Good to do your research.

Oscar.

Horsbrugh

Reaction score
I have only fished Carham once and although perfect clear, on that occasion, it was apparently, just a bit on the high side. I can’t remember what the optimum height was but I would not say it was a high water beat. There is some nice steamy water and some longer slower looking pools. I say “slower looking,”as there is still a good flow to keep the fly swinging. There is a boat which can be fished from but also allows access to the opposite bank which makes fishing certain pools much easier.

Handel

Reaction score
It is a very beautiful beat. When three of you start fishing you can't see one another because of the beat's shape.

The Wiel Pool at the top of the beat must be man made and has a narrow tail causing a good flow of water down the top part of the beat initially into the Long Stream - there's your streamy water. As Horsbrugh says there are several slower looking pools which are deceptive and have a good flow through them. The Wiel Pool is one of them. I caught my first Carham fish from it. That was at this time of year. I reckon if you had to choose you would rather have low water than high but I have never fished it in high water.

What is unusual is that you can start at the top and fish all the way to the bottom and not have to miss bits out like you do in so many places. You can encounter a fish almost anywhere. I have caught all my Carham fish in the places I was least expecting them - and with one exception, no two from the same place.

It used to be very expensive in autumn and reasonable the rest of the year. I haven't fished it for some years.

Hemmy

Reaction score
Lovely beat.....great Ghillie.......super fly water......varied pools......fishes best in lower water imho
Unless things have changed in recent weeks you have to take all three rods when booking.

Last edited:

tynelobster

Reaction score
It is a very beautiful beat. When three of you start fishing you can't see one another because of the beat's shape.

The Wiel Pool at the top of the beat must be man made and has a narrow tail causing a good flow of water down the top part of the beat initially into the Long Stream - there's your streamy water. As Horsbrugh says there are several slower looking pools which are deceptive and have a good flow through them. The Wiel Pool is one of them. I caught my first Carham fish from it. That was at this time of year. I reckon if you had to choose you would rather have low water than high but I have never fished it in high water.

What is unusual is that you can start at the top and fish all the way to the bottom and not have to miss bits out like you do in so many places. You can encounter a fish almost anywhere. I have caught all my Carham fish in the places I was least expecting them - and with one exception, no two from the same place.

It used to be very expensive in autumn and reasonable the rest of the year. I haven't fished it for some years.
Hi Handel.
What do you think it would be like in very low water - like we have now?
Thanks TL

Handel

Reaction score
Hi Handel.
What do you think it would be like in very low water - like we have now?
Thanks TL
[/QUOTE

How low is the river at the moment? Last I looked on Fishtweed it didn't seem to be below normal summer levels. If that is right then it should be OK.

Lee the gillie is a good bloke. He isn't included in the price at this time of year but he can be persuaded out to show you round and that would definitely be worth doing.

lefthandup

Reaction score
I have ghillied there in the past and I'd say you will be able to pick fish up in most heights of water.
There are high water pools and low water pools.

If you need another rod ..I'll come 😂

Coneheads

Reaction score
hi all,
tinterweb given limited info and/or pics for Carham so hoping Tweed locals with knowledge of the beat or anglers with experience of fishing Carham could give an opinion on the claims within accuracy of the descriptions on *ishpal or T-beats.
Both describe the beat as having a a high proportion of streamy water? passed beat on route many a time but never really thought of it as streamy stuff. Be grateful if those in the know could shed any light and offer general opinion
Regards
Ben

Coneheads

Reaction score
If you fish this beat , you aren't allowed to fish on after 5pm . not good in summer months on bright days when last few hrs can be the most productive ,

Handel

Reaction score
If you fish this beat , you aren't allowed to fish on after 5pm . not good in summer months on bright days when last few hrs can be the most productive ,
That must be something new. When I used to fish there in June we used to take a long lunch and then fish on until 7.30 pm or even fish the evening. That was at the ghilie's suggestion originally.

Coneheads

Reaction score
That must be something new. When I used to fish there in June we used to take a long lunch and then fish on until 7.30 pm or even fish the evening. That was at the ghilie's suggestion originally.
This was last season , and the rods that have fished it for a no. of years have now made with their feet.

Handel

Reaction score
This was last season , and the rods that have fished it for a no. of years have now made with their feet.
Does that mean they are letting the sea trout fishing to someone else? They don't make as much money out of the backend as they used to.